This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stuck In The Country With A 'strong Positive' Blood Test

rosstqz

rosstqz Apprentice

Hi guys

I'm a little shell-shocked as I read this because I don't have any real symptoms that I'm aware of and took the test now because I was planning on going off gluten in solidarity with my wife.

Anyway, I have a result of >136 Units for tissue transglutanimase IgA (total serum IgA of 2.54g/L) consistent with Celiac disease. However as I'm living in the country for the next 6 weeks I can't get the secondary test done.

How certain is it that I've got this thing? I would just like to know probabilities for my own ability to process it all.  I understand I can't go off the gluten in the meantime.

Grateful for your advice!!

Ross

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

That is a pretty high tTG score.  I would say the chances are pretty good.  Don't forget that 97% of celiacs are undiagnosed, some for the simple reason that they have no acknowledged symptomatology :)

Welcome to the board Ross, and do keep asking questions.

nvsmom Community Regular

I agree with Neroli, chances are pretty high that it's celiac disease, especially with such a high test result - it is usually with barely positive tTG tests that we see other disorders or infections causing the (slight) positive result.

If you are having more testing done, you are correct in that you need to continue eating gluten. If your tests are done, then you can begin eating gluten-free.

Good luck.

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome Ross!

With a tTG that high I'd be pretty darn confident -- and it may be tough to keep eating gluten for six months when you know you are likely causing damage to your small intestine.

I'd suggest removing all gluten with your wife -- often those without obvious symptoms become more sensitive after removing gluten -- in the coming months you may find you start reacting to accidental gluten ingestion.

There is no reason why you can't have a full celiac panel and endoscopic biopsy after six months gluten-free -- hopefully it will show that six months has decreased your antibody level and that your small intestine is in healthy shape.

Oh there are labs -- even in small towns that can run a full celiac antibody panel for about $200.  Also, if possible get blood taken for Vitamins B12, D, Iron -- if you can add in:  B1, B2, B6, K, Ferritin Copper, Zinc and a CMP -- getting these done before you remove gluten can help -- as celiac disease can prevent absorption of these key nutrients.

Good Luck -- ask questions and read as much as you can -- it really does speed a tough transition.

PS...the country is a great place to find healthful whole gluten-free foods :)

rosstqz Apprentice

Hi all - thanks so much for your wisdom and suggestions.  I'm humbled that you took the time to respond.  Here's to a healthy and happy life.

Shame I can't have KFC, though - that will be hard.

mushroom Proficient

Some of us will feel for you at the loss of KFC (but only for the convenience :P )  Most of us know that you can make better tasting chicken at home.  It's the loss of the spontaneity of eating some of this stuff out that is the real downbeat :unsure:   But don't let that deter either of you from creating the.most.delishus gluten free food for your friends at home.  If you don't cook now, you WILL learn to :D  :lol:

nvsmom Community Regular

Hi all - thanks so much for your wisdom and suggestions.  I'm humbled that you took the time to respond.  Here's to a healthy and happy life.

Shame I can't have KFC, though - that will be hard.

Oh! I have a good recipe that is surprisingly similar to KFC that my boys love as chicken nuggets:

~1.5 c tapioca flour

~0.5c brown rice flour or an allpurpose gluten-free flour

~0.5tsp baking powder

~1 tsp pepper

~3 tsp salt (or seasoning salt)

~0.5tsp paprika

I add some garlic and a bit more pepper. Measurements are all approximate.

Dredge your chicken in egg or something (we use coconut milk) and then dredge in the flour mix. Repeat if you want a thick coating (we don't). Fry - I have an Actifry, which uses 2-3 Tbs oil for 3 large chicken breasts so it's less greasy but still crispy and tastey. We do it in "nugget" form so it's almost like popcorn chicken. Search the site for some great recipes.

Best wishes!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosstqz Apprentice

Thank you all so much - I am excited to try this recipe!

As I need to keep eating wheat until my biopsy I won't be going cold turkey but it's nice to have delicious things to look forward to :)

All the best!

Ross

Archived