16 replies to this topic

#16 Ksee

Ksee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

Thanks  - yes, I'm hoping to resolve this without HR, but I'll go to them if I can't.  I believe I'm the only person with Celiac in the company, but a very senior exec is following the SCD so I might enlist help from him (I'm pretty sure his meals are prepared privately - I'm just lowly middle management).

I've been bringing my lunch most of the time, but we have many impromptu lunch meetings in the cafeteria and it would be nice to be able to eat something so I don't end up derailng the agenda with discussions about Celiac.  

I'm confident I'll talk them into doing something.  It's just going to take some time and a few well-placed threats.

Oh I see this as solvable. In your case (if it were me) and I could not get any consideration, I would find a way to gently urge the discussion toward diversity in the workplace. I get the sense they may be way ahead of you but embrace the agenda derailment just a bit and subtly.

Your point is at least as strong when looking at it as a discriminatory issue as a disability issue and maybe stronger. Your company is large enough to have a cafeteria and HR department and since you describe yourself as middle management I'm guessing there are more than 100 employees. That puts your company in a category of having greater responsibility to accommodate varying employee needs.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Googles

Googles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

I registered with my universitie's students with dissabilities office for protection. My department was insane and I actually had a professor ask me if I should be in our area of study given that I was asking how to bring up my Celiac with my internship. It helped because I had someone to talk to about my trials around dealing with my professors incase anything came up. Luckily that was the worst of it. I was worried most of all of getting sick during class and needing to leave possibly in the middle of something important (like a test or presentation). Luckily I made it through all 3 years of classes. I only had a few problems at my internship where I had to leave for a short period of time to get more Imodium as I had run out of what I had with me. :mellow:  My internship was actually really awesome about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: