Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Skin Prick Food Allergy Tests - Large Flare But No Wheal?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 greenbeanie

greenbeanie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

Does anyone know if it's meaningful to get large flares but no (or little) wheals on skin prick food allergy tests? Before all this business with celiac testing, I had allergy testing done. I've had many environmental allergies since I was a kid (to pollens, dust, animals), and those skin prick tests gave me clear results. But my food tests were strange. For a bunch of them, I had large flares (22mm or more) but with either no wheals or wheals smaller than the histamine reference prick. The allergist ran IgE blood tests on a handful of these to try to get clearer about what was going on, and the blood tests were all negative. She concluded that I don't have any food allergies.

For other foods, and for the saline control prick, I got no wheals or flares, so it's not just that my skin is over-reactive in general. And I really can't draw any reliable conclusions from how I feel after eating, since I pretty much always feel sick. Maybe once I've been gluten-free for longer my reaction to the other foods will be clearer, but for now I don't want to cut out a whole bunch of other foods if it's not really necessary. The ones that gave me the big flares are all very common things (celery, carrot, apple, potato, orange, onion), and avoiding them all plus gluten would be quite restrictive. I did not react at all to other nightshades or to other things in the same families (like garlic or tomato), which makes it even more puzzling.

Has anyone else had weird allergy test results like this and figured out what it means? My allergist was not helpful - she just said to avoid whatever foods I feel bad eating (but again, I really can't tell right now). My endoscopy showed visible redness in my stomach, and biopsies of my esophagus showed inflammation. I have not seen the actual pathology report or had my follow-up appointment with the GI yet, but I think my intestinal biopsies didn't show clear signs of celiac or someone would have told me that by now. Gluten is obviously a huge problem for me, whether it's celiac or not, but I just can't tell whether it's the root of all the problems.

Daughter: Positive tTG-IgA, DGP-IgA, and DGP-IgG. Celiac confirmed by biopsy in June 2013, at age four. Clear gastrointestinal, behavioral, and neurological/sensory symptoms since very early infancy, even when exclusively breastfeeding.

Me: Diagnosis still unclear after extensive testing: Atypical wheat allergy, severe NCGI, or false negative celiac tests? Doctors disagree.Gluten challenge caused acute gastritis, esophagitis, and angioedema that lasted 4 months and was eventually determined to be a sulfite allergy. Gluten light for 15 years, then gluten free since June 2013.
Long history of eczema, chronic diarrhea, steatorrhea, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, infertility, chronic insomnia, low cholesterol, vitamin deficiencies, and joint pain. Improved greatly within six months of going gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:53 AM

From what I have heard around here, those skin tests aren't very accurate for food allergies.

http://www.mayoclini...s-and-diagnosis

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

From what I have heard around here, those skin tests aren't very accurate for food allergies.

http://www.mayoclini...s-and-diagnosis

Only if used by themselves. If you get a hive and have symptoms otherwise, then, to my understanding, you are allergic to whatever item it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: