35 replies to this topic

#16 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

Movie popcorn - gluten free.  Healthy to eat - probably no.  Cross contaminated - pretty doubtful.  Anything is possible but I think that we need to use our own good common sense here too and be careful of general blanket statements.   If in doubt about a product then contact the main company.   I figure that if I don't have time to read the ingredients or there are too many for me to decipher then I don't have the time to eat it. 

:) Well said. Thank you.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

Rene83, I really enjoyed you beginning post. Ignore some of the carpers. They seem to be multiplying. I have had most of the experiences you cited.

Someone pointed out that she was lucky to live in an area that was gluten-knowledgeable. Well, I live in Mississippi. Now, I love it here and would not want to live anywhere else, but if the end of the world comes, come on down. It will take several years to get here.

#18 rene83

rene83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Thank you brooks. I don't know why people seem to be having such an issue about my experiences that I listed here. I thought this place would be a good forum for support but I guess not. ::shrugs::. 

#19 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

You know what is incredibly annoying?  People who do not get the answers that they want to hear and then accuse this forum of not being supportive.  All of us"carpers" have given you correct information....sorry if you choose not to believe it from people who have been gluten free much longer than the OP.  She made sweeping, broad statements about Mexican food and movie popcorn that is not correct.  Sure, there is Mexican food that is not gluten free but there are many, many places where it is.  Ditto for movie popcorn.  You can choose to believe what you posted but when you come on here, you will get the most up to date information on gluten free that is out there.

Sorry to the folks that live in places where gluten free is like a foreign language.  Hopefully that will change in the future and you can enjoy the same ease of eating out and buying food that some of us enjoy.  I realize it can be really hard but being educated on the correct information will go a long way in avoiding mistakes that will make you sick.

#20 rene83

rene83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

You know what is incredibly annoying?  People who do not get the answers that they want to hear and then accuse this forum of not being supportive.  All of us"carpers" have given you correct information....sorry if you choose not to believe it from people who have been gluten free much longer than the OP.  She made sweeping, broad statements about Mexican food and movie popcorn that is not correct.  Sure, there is Mexican food that is not gluten free but there are many, many places where it is.  Ditto for movie popcorn.  You can choose to believe what you posted but when you come on here, you will get the most up to date information on gluten free that is out there.

Sorry to the folks that live in places where gluten free is like a foreign language.  Hopefully that will change in the future and you can enjoy the same ease of eating out and buying food that some of us enjoy.  I realize it can be really hard but being educated on the correct information will go a long way in avoiding mistakes that will make you sick.

I swear that some of you people are as dense as paleo bread. I did not make a generalized false statement. I merely stated my experiences. I CALLED every mexican restaurant in a 60 mile radius of me where each and every one CONFIRMED that their sauces were not gluten free. I also confirmed with the theatre manager that their popcorn is not gluten free. What do you not understand about this is stuff I researched? I was not searching for answers to jack nada, merely venting about how soooo many restaurants put gluten in shit that they shouldn't. THAT"S IT. But people like you want to tell me that I am wrong. Then please, come out to my home and do the research I have done then tell me I am wrong. I am not sure if the "carpers" don't realize, but I am not an idiot as I am being treated on here and despite being a celiac neophyte I have enough sense to ask to see ingredient lists and talk to the chefs and escalate higher if I have to. I was merely sharing my experiences in my specific geographic location. If you don't like it you do not need to comment and put down MY EXPERIENCES and be insulting.

So I am asking, please before you assume I am some dumb ass just taking everyone's word everywhere I go, think again. It's hella rude.

#21 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

When you posted about the movie popcorn I thought - just some clueless people telling her that as I have never heard of any movie popcorn having gluten.  Some of us tried to explain that to you.

Then you mentioned some restaurants putting gluten in dishes that wouldn't normally have it.  I, mistakenly,  took that to mean they were adding flour to the food.  I thought - Wow.  That's nuts!

But then you clarified that you were talking about colors or flavorings.  It was explained that that does not mean there is gluten in a food. 

This sort of mis-information (that colors/flavors have gluten), is confusing, especially to people who are new to Celiac.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#22 rene83

rene83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

When you posted about the movie popcorn I thought - just some clueless people telling her that as I have never heard of any movie popcorn having gluten.  Some of us tried to explain that to you.

Then you mentioned some restaurants putting gluten in dishes that wouldn't normally have it.  I, mistakenly,  took that to mean they were adding flour to the food.  I thought - Wow.  That's nuts!

But then you clarified that you were talking about colors or flavorings.  It was explained that that does not mean there is gluten in a food. 

This sort of mis-information (that colors/flavors have gluten), is confusing, especially to people who are new to Celiac.

I agree completely, but I am not going to take the chance. My whole point of this post was to show how many places add gluten to crap that shouldn't have it and how I have realized how much more aware I need to be.  :)  Just because a food "should" be safe I have found int he real world it really isn't. Super frustrating too but I am thankful I know how to cook lol

#23 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

I agree completely, but I am not going to take the chance. My whole point of this post was to show how many places add gluten to crap that shouldn't have it and how I have realized how much more aware I need to be.  :)  Just because a food "should" be safe I have found int he real world it really isn't. Super frustrating too but I am thankful I know how to cook lol

The whole point of my post is that what you were calling gluten (colors and flavors), doesn't sound like it was gluten.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#24 rene83

rene83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

The whole point of my post is that what you were calling gluten (colors and flavors), doesn't sound like it was gluten.

for the theater popcorn. The rest I spoke with cooks etc, for instance mexican restaurants: confirmed they thicken all of their sauces with flour, yard house thickens the creme brulee with flour, you see? At least in my area they use flour to thicken anything that needs to be reduced or have a certain texture as a cost saving measure. 

#25 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

lolz - rene, you said it in your topic title - EATING OUT IS HARD!!!!  and it is.  you'll get used to what you need to look out for.  the guy who makes your popcorn might have made a hot-dog on a wheat roll right before he served your popcorn, or have gotten crumbs where they shouldn't be - 'normal' people <haha and i use that term loosely) don't think of breadcrumbs as being unsanitary, unclean, or unusual.  so what, i got a breadcrumb on your popcorn, it's not gonna kill you.  nope it won't - but it'll make you sick and people don't understand that.  same thing for flour (in sauces, etc) my very good friend made me some stuffed grape leaves when i was first diagnosed - what's in them?  grape leaves, rice, garlic, etc, etc, every ingredient i could eat safely.  i opened up the container and there was some sauce on them so i called her.  what's in the sauce?  lemon, chicken broth, garlic.... ummmmmm.....  i said:  any flour?  oh yeah, she says, BUT IT'S ONLY A LITTLE BIT SO YOU SHOULD BE OK 

smh!!!   :blink:

you'll get used to keeping yourself safe.  at first it seems like a mine field but it gets better.  you'll know where you can eat safely and where you can't - i had to re-tune my "bells and whistles"  lolz 

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#26 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

Rene83, I re Well, I live in Mississippi. Now, I love it here and would not want to live anywhere else, but if the end of the world comes, come on down. It will take several years to get here.

hahaha - yup, same here in tennessee  :D  it was severe culture shock as i grew up in nj (30 min from nyc) and to learn that NOT EVEN AEROSMITH WILL PLAY THE ARENA IN KNOXVILLE - it's pretty bad lolz  who the hell knows what the fashion is in the rest of the world......   :o

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#27 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

I have never heard of gluten in popcorn.  Or stuff put on popcorn.  They may have told you this.  They may not have understood.  I get that a lot.

One  thing at a Mexican place that is almost always safe is beans.  If they have whole pinto beans, they should be safe unless they are in some way cross contaminated.  I suppose it is possible but not likely that there could be gluten in refried beans but I've never heard of it.  Rice is probably safe and most likely the corn tortillas would be.  I can't speak for all Mexican restaurants but the one we normally dine at is very good with food allergies and they have plenty of safe food.  We know of another that also has lots of safe food.  They also do salads and plain meats.

I do know that gluten lurks in a lot of restaurant foods because they often buy prepared stuff and prepared stuff can contain gluten.  Like soups and sauces.

#28 rene83

rene83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

I have never heard of gluten in popcorn.  Or stuff put on popcorn.  They may have told you this.  They may not have understood.  I get that a lot.

One  thing at a Mexican place that is almost always safe is beans.  If they have whole pinto beans, they should be safe unless they are in some way cross contaminated.  I suppose it is possible but not likely that there could be gluten in refried beans but I've never heard of it.  Rice is probably safe and most likely the corn tortillas would be.  I can't speak for all Mexican restaurants but the one we normally dine at is very good with food allergies and they have plenty of safe food.  We know of another that also has lots of safe food.  They also do salads and plain meats.

I do know that gluten lurks in a lot of restaurant foods because they often buy prepared stuff and prepared stuff can contain gluten.  Like soups and sauces.

I have come across a lot of that too where they look at you with a thousand yard stare when I say "gluten", so then I escalate it. 

I think I speak for all of us here (if not them please don't crucify me) but when in the hell are these restaurants going to start doing stuff right? There are sooooooo many things that should NOT have gluten yet they do in restaurants purely to save money. Celiac/GI etc is not a rare thing now..... 

#29 rene83

rene83

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

lolz - rene, you said it in your topic title - EATING OUT IS HARD!!!!  and it is.  you'll get used to what you need to look out for.  the guy who makes your popcorn might have made a hot-dog on a wheat roll right before he served your popcorn, or have gotten crumbs where they shouldn't be - 'normal' people <haha and i use that term loosely) don't think of breadcrumbs as being unsanitary, unclean, or unusual.  so what, i got a breadcrumb on your popcorn, it's not gonna kill you.  nope it won't - but it'll make you sick and people don't understand that.  same thing for flour (in sauces, etc) my very good friend made me some stuffed grape leaves when i was first diagnosed - what's in them?  grape leaves, rice, garlic, etc, etc, every ingredient i could eat safely.  i opened up the container and there was some sauce on them so i called her.  what's in the sauce?  lemon, chicken broth, garlic.... ummmmmm.....  i said:  any flour?  oh yeah, she says, BUT IT'S ONLY A LITTLE BIT SO YOU SHOULD BE OK 

you'll get used to keeping yourself safe.  at first it seems like a mine field but it gets better.  you'll know where you can eat safely and where you can't - i had to re-tune my "bells and whistles"  lolz 

Yeah. I am also deathly allergic to shellfish and mushroom and when I tell people that they think I will just sneeze or itch so I am almost rude until they understand undoubtedly that it will KILL me lol.

It is so much easier and safer to eat at home. Now if only life would allow me to be home more to accomplish this feat. Oy vey. lol

#30 BeccaMeadows

BeccaMeadows

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

I don't want to be discouraging in any way, nor want to feed current misunderstandings or misinterpretations of he said/she said, however I will agree that after my experiences eating in is the safest and no one will care about your health as much as you do. 

Although Canada is know for high standards of what is or is not gluten free, it is still very considerable that many restaurants are not on the same board.  Many offer a checklist which shows which dishes do or do not contain common allergens, gluten-free now included, and as nice as it would be to rely on that, there is the * followed by a statement which covers there asses if you get sick.  Completely understandable, so easily you can get cross-contaminated in a busy location such as a restaurant.  But then there the complete idiocracy which follows. 

Example: sweet potatoe fries are listed as gluten free.  Hooray.  You ask the waitress if they are fresh cut or packaged.  Wonderful, fresh cut, nothing added.  But then you find out they are deep fried with all the other foods, onion rings, chicken nuggets.  There is no separate deep-frier and they offer no alternative to cooking them.  So if you hadn't dug deeper you would've gotten sick.  So technically, if a restaurant offers no other way prepare a food, which in it's preparation is inevitably contaminated, is it really gluten-free? 

Rene, I agree that you have to look into anything.  If they were adding flour into completely perfect rice, I would not be surprised.  Flour is cheap, that's why it's found in everything.  It's a drying and thickening agent, it helps prevent things from sticking together, and did I mention it is cheap.  Money talks and bullsh*t walks and yes, you will have to get used to it.  And if you want to complain, I definitely think you should be open to do so on a website that is full of so many compassionate people who all struggle with this problem.  It's not that easy when not everyone is as honest as they should be.  Not many people understand how serious this is. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: