16 replies to this topic

#16 eers03

eers03

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:45 AM

You need more calories.  If you are strength training and only consuming 1400-1600 calories, that is most likely not adequate.  If you are Celiac, you are not absorbing everything you need from a nutrient perspective already, then you burn the rest up on exercise...  Additionally, have you drastically reduced your carb intake?  Hopefully not if you are active.  You'll need those carbs.  I inadvertently cut my carbs drastically.  When I went gluten free, I mistakenly was eating an Atkins-esque diet without meaning to.  I didn't know the right way to cut out gluten and ended up not getting carbs.  I eventually started experiencing Ketosis.  Bad stuff.  I dropped to 137 lbs and I'm 5'11.

I started eating 2800-3000 calories per day and stopped working out altogether to get my weight up.  7-8 months later, I'm checking in at 172 and have finally started biking and went for a run last night.  Anyhow, when my caloric intake was down along with my weight, I was tired, anxious, and depressed.

You may not be in the same boat as I was but you are working out much harder than I was and you aren't getting enough calories in my opinion but then again, I don't know what your fitness/health goals are...

Diagnosis 11/2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:13 AM

Thanks for your reply Eers. I eat about 120-160 grams of carbs per day so I know I'm not going to the ketotic route. I figured I was probably too low on the calorie scale as everything is just going right through me with the D and all. I posed this question to my doctor via online message and she has not gotten back to me yet. I don't want to drastically increase my calories at once (plus I'm not that hungry - hitting my goal for the day is difficult right now). I'll likely increase it by 100 calories or so a week and get to a happy place. I don't think I'd ever give up working out. It's therapy for me.

My goal is to compete in bodybuilding at some point so I'd like not to gain a lot right now as I'm trying to do a cut but I realize that may not be feasible right now in my life. Sigh.

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

• Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13
  • Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October
  • Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac
  • HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)
  • Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14
  • Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 
  • Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: