This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Other Food Intolerances / Allergies?

JosieToo

JosieToo Explorer

Hi all,

I've recently been diagnosed with Celiac and am basically a sponge for knowledge at the moment! Sorry for yet another question!

I keep reading about other food intolerances and allergies in people with Celiac disease. Are these issues that were present before Celiac or because of Celiac? In other words, is there a higher likelihood of developing some new, additional issues with food that I've never had before?

Also, how do you know if you have a food intolerance or allergy? I know I'm allergic to shellfish because I have had reactions in the past and had a test at the allergist. But how would I know what to get a test for, if I don't have any reactions to other foods?

If there is a higher likelihood of other food issues with Celiac, is there anything I can do to prevent them or reduce my chances of developing these issues?

My Celiac seems to be largely "silent" aside from acid reflux controlled by medication - so I really don't know when I'm having a reaction.

Help! Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

An allergy is more along the lines of hives/swelling and the like. An intolerance can sometimes cause stomach issues, joint pain, headaches, and so on.

There really isn't anything you can do to prevent them. For example, i am intolerant to sweet potatoes and onions. I am allergic to tomatoes and possibly green beans.

bartfull Rising Star

The things we are MOST likely to be intolerant to are soy, oats (even gluten-free oats), corn, and nightshades. Some of us also have trouble with eggs and nuts.

I don't know if avoiding these things while you are healing might prevent problems or not, but you could be our guinea pig! :lol: (sorry).

I discovered my corn intolerance quite soon after going gluten-free when I made a big batch of gluten-free cornbread. I have often wondered, if I hadn't done that would the intolerance never have reared its ugly head? I don't know.

The thing is, there is no reliable testing available for intolerances. The only way to really tell is to keep a food and symptom diary. If you are already eating all of these things without symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it. LOTS of celiacs never develop other intolerances. But if you DO find yourself having symptoms of something being wrong, you could drop all of these foods until you feel better, then add back one a week until you find the one that's hurting you.

Salax Contributor

The things we are MOST likely to be intolerant to are soy, oats (even gluten-free oats), corn, and nightshades. Some of us also have trouble with eggs and nuts.

I don't know if avoiding these things while you are healing might prevent problems or not, but you could be our guinea pig! :lol: (sorry).

I discovered my corn intolerance quite soon after going gluten-free when I made a big batch of gluten-free cornbread. I have often wondered, if I hadn't done that would the intolerance never have reared its ugly head? I don't know.

The thing is, there is no reliable testing available for intolerances. The only way to really tell is to keep a food and symptom diary. If you are already eating all of these things without symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it. LOTS of celiacs never develop other intolerances. But if you DO find yourself having symptoms of something being wrong, you could drop all of these foods until you feel better, then add back one a week until you find the one that's hurting you.

And to add to this dairy.....evil dairy....lol :P

bartfull Rising Star

I knew I was forgetting something. :huh:

Salax Contributor

Shoot, I do that all the time :D (so many intolerances, so little time...and memory to remember all of them..lol)

I knew I was forgetting something. :huh:

• 1 month later...
fergusminto Apprentice

I have been questioning celiac disease treatment for some time as I was diagnosed with an antibody count of over 800. I think 10 is supposed to be high? Maybe someone can confirm that.

Since going onto the prescribed treatment of 100% gluten-free I have encountered a multitude of food intolerences - oats, all dairy, eggs, soya, pears, grapes etc. I have to ask why? I do not believe in coincidences of this magnitude but I cannot find any evidence of any research into celiac disease "treatment" - only a plethora of celiac disease "Diagnosis" research projects.

I am interested in hearing from any celiac disease sufferer if they have encoutered similar intolerences.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I went glutenfree in 2004 and about two years ago I started to get kidney pain every once in a while. Just last month during the course of an important audition I frantically tried to get rid of the bags under my eyes with make up, which didn't work. I suck at makeup. So I came to conclusion, that it must be some kind of allergy. I went entirely dairy free about a month ago and today I drank a hot cocoa and ate a Nutella bread, and wouldn't you think... brain fog, extreme fatigue, and kidney pain a few minutes after eating it. :(

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Oh, and another symptom I forgot about until it hit me right now. It's not really asthma, but more like a "one-single-lung-cramp-every-20-minutes-or-so"-thing. It's really annoying.

Archived