Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac Sprue Association Recognizes Omission Beer As Risk-Free For Celiacs - Marketwatch

7 posts in this topic

Celiac Sprue Association Recognizes Omission Beer As Risk-Free For Celiacs

MarketWatch

OMAHA, Neb., Nov. 18, 2013 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- The Celiac Sprue Association (CSA), the largest non-profit celiac support group in America, today announced that Omission Beer has met stringent requirements for earning the organization's ...

and more »

View the full article

Ads by Google:

So much for the CSA being our go-to authority on all things celiac.... ick.

Apparently the CSA actually did not say that Omission beer was risk free, but just that it passed their certification: 

http://celiacdisease.about.com/b/2013/11/21/is-barley-based-omission-beer-really-risk-free-for-celiacs.htm

"First of all, CSA executive director Mary Schluckebier apologizes for the headline calling Omission "risk-free," -- she says CSA never intended to quantify Omission as "risk-free," and in fact doesn't consider it to be risk-free. The CSA isn't endorsing Omission beer, either, Schluckebier tells me."

I'm glad for the clarification.  I was beginning to lose faith that these places were actually working for our safety.  Thanks for posting.

Colleen

Apparently the CSA actually did not say that Omission beer was risk free, but just that it passed their certification: 

http://celiacdisease.about.com/b/2013/11/21/is-barley-based-omission-beer-really-risk-free-for-celiacs.htm

"First of all, CSA executive director Mary Schluckebier apologizes for the headline calling Omission "risk-free," -- she says CSA never intended to quantify Omission as "risk-free," and in fact doesn't consider it to be risk-free. The CSA isn't endorsing Omission beer, either, Schluckebier tells me."

"According to Schluckebier, Omission actually applied under a new section of the CSA program designed for products that are made from wheat, barley, rye or oats but rendered gluten-free (this part of the program actually was created for new types of oats that have been bred to eliminate the oat proteins to which many of us react)."

There is no indication, from the CSA's awarding of this 'seal', that it was given though a different part of the program than other products do. The 'seal' is the same. I find that to be rather disingenuous. A lot of people consider a CSA seal to mean 'no further research necessary'.  Not to mention the fact that they are completely ignoring Dr Fasano's opinion of the Elisa test's ability to detect denatured

gluten proteins....

I can't help but agree.  I haven't tried it myself.

Dang.  The more information we have, the more knowledge we seek - 

Colleen