arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Need A Dr. Referral In Long Beach, Ca Area?

i think i have sibo/dysbiosis

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,616 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:36 AM

Celiac researchers  hate that, for whatever reason,  people decide to go gluten free before testing.  Because, currently there is no way to test for Celiac in a gluten free person.  Good Doctor's aren't supposed to "guess" and give you a diagnosis.  They are working on a couple of different tests for Celiac that involve a smaller gluten challenge (3 days) or no gluten challenge.  They do not just decide to hurt you for fun or profit as some seem to be implying here.

I heard some of them say that Celiac is about the only serious disease that people & alternative health practitioners think its OK to self-diagnose.  They used the example of Type 1 diabetes - you wouldn't just start giving yourself insulin without a diagnosis.

I understand that a gluten challenge may not be right for you,  but don't bash the doctors who only have that means to get a definitive diagnosis of Celiac.  You chose to self-diagnose, for whatever reason, and that will have to be the diagnosis you live with for now.  Perhaps, in  a few years, the new testing methods will be viable and you can decide if that is right for you.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 CaliSparrow

CaliSparrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

To be fair to Dr. Harmon, I never met him. It was a nutritionist who works with him that told me what was required. If I hadn't have been so sick, I would have kept the appointment but because of the malpractice that I I incured over the years by other doctors, (this is truth), my husband did not want me to hurt myself in order to get a diagnosis for something he could see quite clearly was hurting me. Not to mention, we were told about the human error in the testing process and Dr. Harmon was recommended as a doctor who knows how to decrease the potential for human error on his end. It wasn't Dr. Harmon who did harm but a whole lot of other doctors before him without which, I wouldn't have gotten as sick as I did and have so far to go to recover.
Last glutening: 12/28/13 (long time FOR ME!)
April 2014: no more reintroducing foods, not rocking the boat, no studying (except during insomnia)
March 2014: Reintroducing intolerant foods. Yolks & banana are a "no". Dairy NO
Year 2: Mental clarity improving. Hello to normalcy.
October 2013: Functional Medicine doc ref to cardiologist for possible sick sinus syndrome (deadline May)
September 2013: 55+ food intolerances, mercury poisoning, sIgA 50, leaky gut, adrenal fatigue, hormone disruption, ferritin 7, low Vit D, low Vit B6
January2013: Dairy-Free, Soy-free
November 2012: Gluten-Free
Year 1: Migraines resolved, OCD diminished, Change in skin texture, EyeBrows lifting & eyes bigger, Better memory, Better cognitive function, Better problem-solving capabilities, Lower anxiety level, Better outlook, Arrhythmia reduced, hope

#18 FruitEnthusiast

FruitEnthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

Just to clarify, I’m not a fan of the “gluten challenge” after reading about the suffering it has caused others, but I haven’t been through it personally. I don’t believe the potential damage it can do makes it good way to seek a diagnosis. That’s just my opinion.

Any comments I made were not in reference to any specific doctor. I’ve heard only positive things about Dr. Harmon and the UCLA Celiac Center. I have no experience with the center or anyone who works there.

My use of the term “guinea pig” was meant to be a playful way to describe what it can sometimes “feel like to be a patient” enduring tests to get to the root of a problem. I think good, caring doctors take their jobs seriously and try their best to make us as comfortable as they can. It never occurred to me that doctors might be cruel enough to cause a patient discomfort for their own entertainment, and I agree to suggest that is unfair.

Sara  :)   "This life is a test. It is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would

have received further instructions on where to go and what to do"

"If you're going through hell, keep going" :) Winston Churchill
Histamine Intolerant  Apr 2014

N C Gluten Intolerant dx Feb 2012  Also Intolerant to Rice, Eggs, Nightshades.
Gluten-Free/ Grain-free/ only whole foods prepared at home since  March 2012
Dairy, Soy, Chocolate free since Jan 2012   Sensitive to Corn and Mold since 1995

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: