This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New W/ Unexplained Symptoms....burping...questions?

dmarie725

dmarie725 Newbie

Hi Everyone,

Has anybody here experienced excessive burping/belching as a symptom of a gluten problem? This has been going on for me for months and months, seen doctors, had all the typical tests all to come back NORMAL. At this point, "normal" is the dreaded word because it doesn't help with finding answers!

Based on bloodwork and biopsy I am negative for Celiac. However, my new doctor brought up gluten sensitivity and ran some new blood work. It did show I have a gene (DQ8) which he said puts me at risk for celiac-permissive gluten intolerance. I know that doesn't mean I have it, but he is suggesting a 3 month trial of gluten free.

So my main questions are:

- Can burping indicate a gluten sensitivity?

- Do symptoms only appear directly after eating gluten? Because my symptom seem to have no direct relationship to what I'm eating or drinking...it's just ANYTHING at all that I ingest. My doctor knows this but is still exploring a gluten thing. Even if I drink water I feel full and am burping. How could this be gluten related?

I do have some other strange symptoms but this has been the most distressing the last 6 months.

Please help!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGlutenCooties Contributor

I did respond to this question on the other thread, but I also found this extensive list of things that can cause excessive burping:  Open Original Shared Link

If all of these have been ruled out, I think the 3 month trial would be a good idea.  Gluten is a more common sensitivity than people realize.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Yes, this burping can be relieved by the gluten-free diet.  My son and I both get this symptom.  Before diagnosis, I remember lying in bed having problems with this burping.  I'd try elevating my head, not eating spices etc.  My husband would tell me that it was because I was swallowing air.  I'd be miserable with all the burping and he'd be yelling at me to stop swallowing air.  He wasn't able to sleep either.  It wasn't a pleasant situation.

Now I realize that it was from glutening and comes back when I get accidental gluten exposure.  It's part of reflux.  Glutening symptoms for me come in the morning after having gluten the day before.  That makes it really hard to pinpoint the gluten source.  My son doesn't notice much for two days.

You seem to have done what you can to get a proper diagnosis as far as biopsy and blookwork goes.  It is worth trying the gluten-free diet at this point, in my opinion.  I hope it works.  I know how annoying that burping can get.  If not you may want to investigate treatment for reflux.

june27 Apprentice

I did not have a lot of classic celiac symptoms prior to diagnoses, but for many years i have been able to belch with more depth and volume that a beer-guzzling college student (not calling names here, as i was once one of them).  and, i could do it just about any time of any day on command.  yup, pretty classy for a woman in her early 40's :)

now that i have been gluten-free for 2 years, i couldn't belch on a normal day if i tried.  if i am accidentally glutened, that is my first symptom - within 2 hours and am bloated and belching.  if it was a big enough glutening, this will last for days, and will be worst right after eating.  

• 2 weeks later...
dmarie725 Newbie

Thanks for your replies! I don't really want to...but am getting ready to start a gluten free trial...should be interesting, but worth it if that proves to be a cause of symptoms.

I was wondering, how long does someone need to be gluten free to notice any kind of real impact?

I was wondering, how long does someone need to be gluten free to notice any kind of real impact?

It depends.  Many people see positive changes within the first week or two.  For some it takes a bit longer.  Some people also go through gluten withdrawal for the first couple of weeks during which time their symptoms actually get worse before they get better.  I would give it a solid 3 months before giving up on it.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Dmarie,

When your digestive system is irritated and not working right things go kinda wrong.  Gut bacteria can get out of balance and multiply and make lots of gas.  If your gut flora is messed up, you can be gassy from eating just about anything.

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.
Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.
Don't eat in restaurants
Eat only whole foods not processed foods.
Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.
Take probiotics.
Take gluten-free vitamins.
Take digestive enzymes.
Avoid dairy if it causes symptoms.
Avoid sugars and starchy foods. They can cause bloating.
Avoid alcohol.
Watch out for cross contamination.

Helpful threads:

FAQ Celiac com
https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/forum-7/announcement-3-frequently-asked-questions-about-celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101
https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HavaneseMom Explorer

Hi dmarie725,

I have been gluten free for almost 6 months now and I still burp like crazy. It doesn't really seem to be connected to what I eat either. When I woke up this morning, I burped probably 20-30 times within 15 minutes after getting out of bed and I hadn't had anything to eat or drink yet. I burp a lot! I do think that it is celiac related for me. Since I went undiagnosed for most of my life, my digestive system is a mess and is still in the healing process. I actually just talked to my GI doctor about the belching and they want me to try the FODMAP diet for a couple of weeks. They said it often helps with digestive gas and bloating. I haven't started it yet, so I can't say if it will work, but here is a link to some info regarding it if you are interested:

Open Original Shared Link

Good luck!

Gemini Experienced

Low stomach acid can cause excessive burping.  But you also carry one of the main Celiac genes and a negative antibody test for Celiac does not rule the disease out.  Having a negative biopsy does not rule the disease out, either.  Damage can be very spotty and easily missed when doing the biopsy.  Was a full Celiac panel done?

dmarie725 Newbie

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm getting prepared to try this gluten free trial thing out :) It's certainly going to be a major lifestyle change, but worth it if it can help.

June27...I know what you mean about the burping. Not an attractive thing for a young female! I'm a 31 year old female and I am burping like crazy. I can hide it a lot but it really makes me feel gross...I can't even drink water without burping lately. I think that is what confuses me the most and makes me wonder if it really is a gluten intolerance....if so, why would simply water make me burp? Did that happen to you? Luckily there is no acid or reflux along with it. Did you have that? I feel like ANYTHING I eat or drink results in the same thing...gluten or not.

Gemini...I have heard that also about low stomach acid causing burping. I've wondered if that could be an issue as well, but then same concern, if it were low stomach acid, then why does even water make me burp like crazy? Yep, I have had the full Celiac blood panel and negative for Celiac (based on blood panel and biopsy), but after further testing is when my doc found the "celiac-permissive gluten intolerance" gene. I'm not sure how important that gene is, but he thinks I should do the trial.

It's really confusing trying to figure out the cause of these symptoms!

I've also heard gluten issues can cause non-digestive issues. I was wondering if anyone has heard of these things from a gluten intolerance. These are some other things I've developed in the last several months. Really bad muscle twitching, fine tremors in my hands, generally feel a little weak, mild nausea on and off and some weight loss. I'm not losing weight anymore but it's near impossible to gain any back...?

but after further testing is when my doc found the "celiac-permissive gluten intolerance" gene. I'm not sure how important that gene is, but he thinks I should do the trial.

I've also heard gluten issues can cause non-digestive issues. I was wondering if anyone has heard of these things from a gluten intolerance. These are some other things I've developed in the last several months. Really bad muscle twitching, fine tremors in my hands, generally feel a little weak, mild nausea on and off and some weight loss. I'm not losing weight anymore but it's near impossible to gain any back...?

Approximately 30% of the population has at least one of the genes that predispose them to getting Celiac.  However, only about 1% of the population actually gets Celiac.  There are also people who do not have the gene but do have Celiac.  So the gene test is fairly useless.  Doing a gluten free trial is the only reliable way to know if you have non-Celiac gluten intolerance.

There is a link on this site to a list of some 300 symptoms that are linked to Celiac:

From what I understand, NCGI can cause all of the same symptoms but without the antibodies in the blood and without the villi damage.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Everyone,

So my main questions are:

- Do symptoms only appear directly after eating gluten? Because my symptom seem to have no direct relationship to what I'm eating or drinking...it's just ANYTHING at all that I ingest. My doctor knows this but is still exploring a gluten thing. Even if I drink water I feel full and am burping. How could this be gluten related?

I do have some other strange symptoms but this has been the most distressing the last 6 months.

Please help!!

Yes, an upset, irritated digestive system can cause lots of symptoms, including burping, ie excess gas in the stomach.

- Do symptoms only appear directly after eating gluten?

No, symptoms do not only appear directly after eating gluten.  The digestive system is irritated all the time, so symptoms can occur from eating any food, even plain water.  Your gut doens't instantly heal and go back to being healthy 2 hours after you stop eating gluten.  It takes time away from gluten, (months) for healing to happen.

One of the negative affects that seems pretty common is dysbiosis, or gut bacteria imbalance.  If your gut bacteria are unhealthy, or bad strains, they can cause lots of gas and unsettled digestion.  Especially when eating carbs or sugars.  Damage to the gut can cause disruption in the gut bacterial flora.  Things get out of whack.  That's why we often reccomend people take probiotics.

You gut and digestive system is a complicated piece of your body.  You can think of it as a long tube made of skin.  Internal skin though.  If you scrape your knee or elbow it takes a few weeks to heal right?  During that time if you rub the scraped area with sandpaper it wil most definitely hurt.  But if you rub it with goose feathers or bunny rabbits it will probalby hurt too.  Any raw, irritated skin is painful.  Your small intestine is basically 22 feet of internal skin, and when it is inflammed and irritated by celiac damage it can hurt for quite a while.  That's what the antibodies do, damage/destroy the lining of the small lintestine (the villi).  Just because you can't see it on the outside of your body like you can a scraped knee or elbow, doesn't mean it isn't there on the inside.

All that damage and inflammation is bad by itself.  But it also leads to the bacterial imblances mentioned earlier.  The bacteria colonize the gut and live on the surface of it.  That surface is destroyed and the bacteria get disrupted.  It's no longer a stable healthy environment for them or you.

There is s description of the villi on this page.  It might help you get more familiar with the thingies.

• 3 weeks later...
june27 Apprentice

I think the GFinDC's assessment makes perfect sense to me (though I have never thought about it in that level of detail).

Before going gluten-free, I could belch on command - on an empty stomach, after eating something (with or without gluten).  I also found that I would have to belch after eating - not always, and it definitely happened after eating something as benign as eggs and rice.

Now that I have been gluten-free for over 2 years, if I am accidentally glutened, the belching starts in again.  After eating anything, I belch.  The only way that I can describe it is like my insides feel inflamed and anything I eat just makes them uphappy - and I belch and get crampy.  The worse the glutening, the longer this lasts.  

Archived