2 replies to this topic

#1 beachbel

beachbel

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

I am wondering how anyone else with really bad reactions is treated in case of gluten exposure.  I was on vacation with my family and got a "gluten free" sandwich but the deli meat was not gluten free even though we asked.  I was then vomiting for 2 1/2 hours, became delirious, had severe pain, dehydrated, asthma attack (I have asthma) and went into shock.  I needed to be taken to the hospital by ambulance where I was then treated with nausea med, pain med and a large dose of steroid.  The doctor there then told me to take 10 mg of prednisone per day for a week (I take 5 mg daily for adrenal insufficiency as it is).  This is the second very serious reaction I have had but I think the steroid has made a big difference for me in that last time I was in the hospital for a week - this time I went home the next morning.  I am still not feeling great but at least stable.

Long story short I have learned to never eat out, even on vacation.  My question is: what has worked for other people who have severe reactions?  What have you been treated with?

Thanks,

beachbel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

I have severe GI reactions to gluten hits but do not go to the hospital.  I do not have asthma and I think that is why you ended up there and needed prednisone. That's a game changer.  I just treat dehydration with Pedialyte, which is for kids but works well for adults also.  It will re-balance electrolytes.  I find that once the offending food is out of your system from vomiting and diarrhea, things stabilize for me.  I have been gluten-free for a long time so I recover faster these days on the rare occasion that I do take a hit.  That's rare, though.....the longer you do this the better you get at avoiding it.

Hope you feel better soon!

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:27 AM

I don't eat out anymore either.  I get too sick when glutened to take that chance, though I haven't been hospitalized.  I found out recently that I get exocrine pancreatic insufficiency when glutened.  Digestive enzymes make a big difference to recovery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: