This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Restaurants In Portland Oregon

Against The Grain

Against The Grain Newbie

Hi All,

I was hoping I could get some help from out in cyber-land. I'm trying to compose a current list of restaurants in the Portland Oregon area that are [or cater to] the gluten free lifestyle. I'm trying not to include chains unless they have a specific gluten free menu. Here's the list so far... If anyone knows of, or can think of any other's I'd appreciate it... or if you had a bad experience with any of the one's listed I'd like to know that too...

Thanks!

Jenn

Acapulco's Southwest Gold

7800 SW Capitol Hwy Portland, OR. 97219 503-244-0771

This casual little restaurant provides festive and tasty Mexican food. The salsa is muy buena!

Andina

1314 NW Glisan Portland, OR. 97201 503-228-9535

Open Original Shared Link

Innovative Peruvian cuisine using indigenous ingredients prepared with authentic flavor.

Assaggio

7742 SE 13th Avenue Portland, OR. 97202 503-232-6151

Italian Cuisine, where the dinner menu changes to reflect the changing seasons. gluten-free pasta noodles.

Caprial's Bistro

7015 SE Milwaukie Ave Portland, OR. 97202 503-236-6457

This Northwest restaurant provides creations for an intimate meal or dinner party.

Carafe

200 SW Market St Portland, OR. 97201 503-248-0004

A Parisian-style bistro, with a menu that evokes thoughts of the French countryside.

Clarke’s

455 2nd St Lake Oswego, Or. 97034 503-636-2667

Northwest cuisine providing impressive menus with flavors from Bordeaux and Italy.

Corbetts Fish House

5901 SW Corbett Ave Portland, OR. 97239 503-246-4434

Fish and Chips that are light and non greasy; menu is 80% gluten-free! Wonderful food, plus gluten-free Cheesecake!

Grolla

2930 NE Killingsworth Portland, OR. 97211 503-493-9521

Celiac owned and operated, Grolla specializes in Mediterranean influenced Pacific Northwest cuisine.

Gustav's German Pub & Grill

5035 NE Sandy Blvd. Portland, OR. 97213 503-288-5503

Good old fashioned German Food, meat and potatoes. Various locations thoughout the metro area.

Old Wives’ Tale

1300 E Burnside Portland, OR. 97214 503-238-0470

In addition to daily specials, much of the menu is devoted to health-conscious and meat-free dishes.

P.F. Chang's China Bistro

1139 NW Couch St. Portland, OR. 97209 503-432-4000

Wonderful Chinese food, a good selection off the gluten-free menu. Many locations through out the US.

Papa Haydn

701 NW 23rd Ave Portland, OR. 97210 503-228-7317

It's a popular lunch spot and the menu features creative takes on contemporary and ethnic trends.

Talarico's Mercado

14559 Westlake Dr. Lake Oswego, Or. 97035 503-620-7723

PIZZA! Really great 14" gluten-free Italian family traditional pizza is now available fresh from the hearth. Oh joy!

Three Degrees

1510 SW Harbor Way Portland, OR. 97201 503-295-6166

Lunch at the Riverplace Esplanade has never been so sweet, having gluten free crab cakes.

Three Square Grill

6320 SW Capitol Highway Portland, OR. 97239 503-244-4467

Southern comfort food served with a bayou emphasis _ turns out American-sized portions.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dominique1973 Newbie

I used to live in Portland and I absolute BEST restauant for gluten free food was Higgins Restaurant at 1239 SW Broadway. The chef told us that, except for the pasta dishes, their entire menu is gluten free. It is a little expensive, but all ingredients are fresh, in-season, and local.

• 1 month later...
Gwendolene Rookie

Has anyone tried Jarra's Ethiopian restuarant (or any others for that matter?) I head somewhere that traditional Ethiopian food tends to be low on gluten...

Generic Apprentice

I was glutened at Talarico's Mercado...so eat there at your own risk. When I went there, there was flour on everything, including flour footprints on the floor. Should have known, but they assured me they had a sperate area dedicated to gluten free prep. Come to find out it's just a metal table right in the kitchen where all the flour flying around could settle on.

Lister Rising Star

im from corvallis so i dont get up to portland to often but i know red robin and outbacks cater really friendly to celiacs or gluten intolarent people. sure they must have those up there since its way bigger then corvallis or albany

oh your talking about real restraunts we dont even have those around here lol

• 4 weeks later...
Jinscoe Newbie

I've eaten a few times at Five Spice in Lake Oswego and had no problems. The waiter saw me just staring at the menu for quite a while and aske if he could help with a choice. When I told him I could not digest gluten he not only knew about Celiac Disease but he checked with the chef to come up with options from the menu that I could have. Right down to changing ingredients. All with a smile and great customer service.

I had the salmon with purple potatoes and it was really good. Really good.

They also have several dipping sauces that are gluten-free they will bring to you if you get the spring rolls. They come with a few sauces already but they're not gluten-free. I didn't even ask for extra sauces, I was ready to eat them plain. However, the waiter came out with some tamari sauce and a ginger sauce that were safe.

Just wanted to share...

• 3 weeks later...
Gwendolene Rookie

Do NOT eat at Queen of Shebas! I told the waitress I was severely allegric to wheat and asked what I could eat safely. She told me "Anything but the bread." Needless to say I was quite pleased with the selection and placed my order reiterating several times I could not eat the bread, to which she said, that's alright you can eat the food off the plate with a fork instead of using the bread to sop it up."

Sounds like she has a pretty firm grasp on the sitch right? HA! The plate comes out piled with food on top of the bread!! They told me to pick off the top! *!@#!!!!!*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
kristi Rookie

Hey Corbett's Fish House just opened a second place called the "Hawthorne Fish House" on 4343 SE Hawthorne Blvd. in Portland that has the same great gluten free menu as Corbett's. I just love the chocolate cheese cake! I also like their shrimp cocktail. I also just stopped in this week at Old Wives Tales after reading an earlier post and asked about their gluten free options and...blow me away, they handed me a four, count them, a 4-page gluten free menu and spoke to me about how many people have been coming in lately requesting it. I haven't eaten there yet but wow! I have been eating a place called Sushi Land over this last year. I bring my own La Choy soy sauce for dipping as they only offer a wheat type. They have sushi that cruises around on different colored plates for different prices. Watch carefully because some types have obvious sauce squeezed on top and I don't trust the rolled multi-varieties. I know that fake crabmeat can have wheat. I just ask for the "prime tuna" (3 plates of it)and I also eat the the plain ones with the cooked shrimp sitting on top. I have never had a problem but you might request that they change gloves because sometimes they handle tempera that is cooked in the back kitchen. They make up fresh stuff on request, don't be afraid to ask and it is a very economic place to eat. They have a new location in the Pearl district and a older one by the convention center. I think their might be one in Vancouver too.

Jinscoe Newbie

So last night I went to the Widmer Gashouse on the corner of NE Russel & Interstate. I had received an email, from a friend who is a beer smarty-pants, telling me about Widmer's Hooligan IPA on tap from time to time. It's a Gluten Free beer. So obviously, not having had beer for about six years, I had to go and try it. I called ahead to see if they had the Hooligan on tap that night and they did. When I ordered the beer the waiter asked if I had before. After telling him no he said he would bring me a sample glass to see if I liked it before getting me a full pint. He said it is just an experiement and needs some TLC to bring it to full flavor. Now, I haven't had beer in so long that I kind of forgot what it tastes like. But it reminded me of an IPA... and at the same time a Horsby's Amber Cider. Maybe if you could mix the two drinks and add some honey & lemon... you would have a pretty close version of the Hooligan IPA. That's my take though.

That's the good part of the story for those of us who used to enjoy a beer from time to time. The bad part is the food menu leaves us with very little choices. Very little. It seemed kind of silly to me to go through the efforts of creating a gluten-free beer for the public enjoy in your restaurant... but not offer much in the way of tasty treats. However, like the waiter said, it's just an experiment. Which means it could be temporary.

So if you're interested... give it a try.

Also, in the same email there was this note :

There is another Gluten-free beer on the market which is scheduled to be

available to us here in Portland at the end of the month. It is called

Bard's beer. We're set up for it, just waiting for the shipment to

arrive at the distributor. Our stores with the largest beer coolers will

get it first: Concordia, Seven Corners, and Arbor Lodge. The remaining

stores, Sellwood, Mtn Park and Raleigh Hills will bring it in if it

sells well or if there are customer requests.

I'm happy to pass on the Bard's beer news letter so that you can learn

more about this beer.

In the meantime, we recommend the great local ciders made from 100% free

run apple juice like Ford Farms, Wandering Aengus and Hard Rain.

Take care,

Claudia

Claudia Knotek

Community Relations Manager

New Seasons Market

1954 SE Division Street

Portland OR 97202

503-473-8714

claudiak@newseasonsmarket.com

www.newseasonsmarket.com

I believe the distributor she is talking about is Columbia and I've seen written word that they will be carrying several different gluten-free beers. There's also a guy in Eugene who is brewing his own gluten-free beer that has won several awards (I think) and he is looking into selling his beer locally and here in Portland to Whole Foods, Wild Oats & New Seasons.

Portland is looking better and better for the Celiac community...

Sweetfudge Community Regular

I was in the Providence Bridge Pedal last week, and on the ride I passed a house in the middle of a neighborhood downtown that was all decorated with candy, and I read a sign that said it had gluten free candy and cookies inside. I don't remember what road we were on, or even where we were, but I guess if someone knows what I'm talking about, or feels adventureous, they could try and find it. It looked really cute, and I wanted to see if I could find it and go back there sometime. Anyway, I know that's not a restaurant, but I just thought I'd mention it. :)

Jinscoe Newbie

Yep... I don't know the name of the place either but I know exactly where you're talking about. It's a big gingerbread looking house on the left hand side of the road if you're traveling south on SE Milwaukie and is right around the intersecting streets of SE Harold or SE Insley... I believe.

I've had thier chocolate chip cookies before and they were pretty tasty! I haven't been there for about a year but back then the gluten-free goods were very random. One of thier chefs would experiment with baking ideas during off hours and sell the results. Supposedly they were going to make it a regular thing to have several different items on hand at all times. So maybe now they do!!

Thanks for mentioning it... I had forgotten all about that place!

And for those that don't know...

If you stay on SE Milwaukie it eventually becomes SE 17th, and if you stay on that for a bit just past SE Tacoma on your left had side is a small bakery house called Piece OF Cake. Gluten Free cakes and tasty treats!

Archived