Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Anybody Else A Scientist?

7 posts in this topic

Anybody else work in science labs? I had a funny thought the other day, that I have worked very carefully with radioactive things, I have worked very carefully with sterile cell culture, and I don't think I ever worked so hard at avoiding cross-contamination of one thing by another as I do with this diet! :lol:

Ads by Google:

totally. I'm a physicist, and my freshman year research was on a joint biology/physics experiment on a optical coherence microscope. I actually spent most of my time in the lap preping the arabidopsis thaliana specimins we were examining under the 'scope, and learned oodles about contamination and cleanup. That and chemistry and physics. :-) I use it all the time with this diet and the condition.

I'm starting a position as an analytical chemistry professor in the fall so I've been working in labs for a long time. I do some work with radioactive arsenic - gamma and beta emittor so nasty radioctivity, extremely toxic, mutagenic and carcinogenic. Definitely good practice for avoiding cross-contamination - I think I might prefer gluten over arsenic.

Science sure helps too in figuring out the diet.

Nope, I'm an artist, but my dad is a chemist & I told him his analytical influence was very useful when I'm concocting gluten-free goodies in the kitchen! For that matter, mixing flours is a bit like mixing colors...

Leah

The artist in me likes to develop new good things to eat, but the scientist takes notes and tests the recipes until they are reproducible.

I have undergraduate degrees in Chemistry and Linguistics.

I work with RNA which is far more sensitive to cross-contamination than I am, but I am finally glad that my near paranoid need to have clean eating tools is coming in handy. (I wash every single tine of every single fork)

I'm not a scientist, but I am married to one. DH is a chemical engineer (not run-plant, he's in research) and I go to him for cc questions. He's the one that told me that gluten can certainly get into non-stick surfaces (like teflon) but that it will come out with "enough" washings. Same thing with tupperware :rolleyes:

The funny thing is that when it comes to anything in the kitchen, I know way more about chemistry than he does :lol: