This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

If You Had Hypoglycemia Did It Go Away After Being Gluten Free?

Sarah8793

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

I have hypoglycemia which I'm sure was caused by years of having celiac and not knowing it. I have only been gluten free since May, but I can see improvement in my hypoglycemia. I'm hoping it will resolve now that I am gluten-free. Anyone have experience with this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular
I have hypoglycemia which I'm sure was caused by years of having celiac and not knowing it. I have only been gluten free since May, but I can see improvement in my hypoglycemia. I'm hoping it will resolve now that I am gluten-free. Anyone have experience with this?

Mine wasn't severe (not enough to regularly show up on tests), but definitely gave me symptoms and I have to watch the ratios of what I'm eating. Going gluten free didn't 'cure' it. I can't eat lots of carbs with no fiber/fat/protein and be fine, but it's not quite as fine a line as it used to be.

mamaw Community Regular

Nope gluten free didn't help my blood sugar either....One thing is to be careful how much junk food you eat in a day. That has helped me somewhat. I don't hink I eat as much junk since going gluten-free and that's a good thing......

mamaw

Guest cassidy

I have had hypoglycemia all of my life and it went away going gluten-free. I used to get shaky everyday and HAVE to eat at least every two hours. Now, I only have problems when I'm glutened. The shakes start very soon after and last for a few days.

I tried a low carb diet a few years ago thinking hypoglycemia was my only problem. The diet helped a little - probably because I was getting less gluten by eating less carbs.

eleep Enthusiast

I've also noticed an improvement, but not a total fix. I definitely don't get the same absolutely insane, about-to-pass-out feeling, but I still can get kind of cranky at times. I've grown so attuned in a few short months to thinking of things in terms of food first, however, that I'm much more prepared most of the time with snacks and such at hand.

Did end up at a BBQ earlier this summer where potato salad was the only thing I could eat -- somehow I managed to be quite social and happy through the whole event, but when I got home I absolutely had to put together another dinner, essentially -- even though it was quite late at night. I know I wouldn't have made it through that kind of situation beforehand in any state of reasonableness.

eleep

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
Mine wasn't severe (not enough to regularly show up on tests), but definitely gave me symptoms and I have to watch the ratios of what I'm eating. Going gluten free didn't 'cure' it. I can't eat lots of carbs with no fiber/fat/protein and be fine, but it's not quite as fine a line as it used to be.

Thanks for your response. This sounds like the direction I am heading. Since going gluten free I am able to eat more carbs but still can't eat them alone for too long. What is your main hypo symptom when you do get it? Mine is dizziness.

Nope gluten free didn't help my blood sugar either....One thing is to be careful how much junk food you eat in a day. That has helped me somewhat. I don't hink I eat as much junk since going gluten-free and that's a good thing......

mamaw

Yes, I agree. I rarely eat fast food any more. It is one of the blessings of having to be gluten free. I still like to have something sweet now and then, but I am trying to limit it to special occasions or a once a week treat. Thanks.

I have had hypoglycemia all of my life and it went away going gluten-free. I used to get shaky everyday and HAVE to eat at least every two hours. Now, I only have problems when I'm glutened. The shakes start very soon after and last for a few days.

I tried a low carb diet a few years ago thinking hypoglycemia was my only problem. The diet helped a little - probably because I was getting less gluten by eating less carbs.

This is wonderful to hear. I can almost forget that I have hypo until I get glutened also. Hoping mine will get even better. Thank you for sharing this!

zip2play Apprentice

My hypoglycemia improved after giving up gluten, but that is the carby stuff that would cause bloodsugar issues. It isn't a cure, but I agree, I think it was there all along due to the gluten issues.

Monica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
I've also noticed an improvement, but not a total fix. I definitely don't get the same absolutely insane, about-to-pass-out feeling, but I still can get kind of cranky at times. I've grown so attuned in a few short months to thinking of things in terms of food first, however, that I'm much more prepared most of the time with snacks and such at hand.

Did end up at a BBQ earlier this summer where potato salad was the only thing I could eat -- somehow I managed to be quite social and happy through the whole event, but when I got home I absolutely had to put together another dinner, essentially -- even though it was quite late at night. I know I wouldn't have made it through that kind of situation beforehand in any state of reasonableness.

eleep

Yes, I have been dealing with my hypoglycemia better since being gluten free too. I am eating more healty now than I have my entire life. I can TOTALLY relate to your experience at the BBQ. I have had to do similar things, and depending on my hypo state, I can get really irritable waiting for food. :lol: I have come home with a headache and a feeling that if I don't eat in 30 seconds I'm going to either explode or die. :rolleyes:

My hypoglycemia improved after giving up gluten, but that is the carby stuff that would cause bloodsugar issues. It isn't a cure, but I agree, I think it was there all along due to the gluten issues.

Monica

I wonder if it is the carbs or if it is that intestinal damage that affects blood sugar levels? Because when I gave up gluten bread I simply replaced it with gluten free and saw a big difference. And I have read that gluten-free breads are actually higher in sugar and affect blood sugar levels more.

Thanks for your response. This sounds like the direction I am heading. Since going gluten free I am able to eat more carbs but still can't eat them alone for too long. What is your main hypo symptom when you do get it? Mine is dizziness.

Mine is probably headaches and crankiness. It used to be nausea, but that's one that's significantly reduced since going gluten-free.

Super Bellybutton Rookie

If gluten-free doesn't improve your hypoglycemia much, then you may have a thyroid problem.

But I have hypoglycemia, which is more dangerous than hyperglycemia. I've been eating a ton of carbs, up to 500g/day, but it doesn't seem to have much of a difference on my blood sugar. I just think my body isn't absorbing it. My intestines are probably so bad I would have to be fed glucose intravenously.

I've only been gluten-free for about 3.5 weeks now. Improvement is slight, but I want to feel like the way I felt before.

penguin Community Regular
If gluten-free doesn't improve your hypoglycemia much, then you may have a thyroid problem.

But I have hypoglycemia, which is more dangerous than hyperglycemia. I've been eating a ton of carbs, up to 500g/day, but it doesn't seem to have much of a difference on my blood sugar. I just think my body isn't absorbing it. My intestines are probably so bad I would have to be fed glucose intravenously.

I've only been gluten-free for about 3.5 weeks now. Improvement is slight, but I want to feel like the way I felt before.

You need protein and carbs and fat to be able to not be hypoglycemic. All tons of carbs are going to do is cause peaks and crashes, which is terrible for your system. Actually, I also believe hyperglycemia is more dangerous than hypoglycemia, and is harder to control.

jennyj Collaborator

Mine seems not to be so bad but I also have a different job that isn't as stressful. The last time I took my blood sugar level it was 52 which to me is pretty good. :P

loraleena Contributor

No, didn't help.

Super Bellybutton Rookie
You need protein and carbs and fat to be able to not be hypoglycemic. All tons of carbs are going to do is cause peaks and crashes, which is terrible for your system. Actually, I also believe hyperglycemia is more dangerous than hypoglycemia, and is harder to control.

I also should have mentioned I eat 120g of fat and 90g of protein a day as well.

Hypoglycemia is more dangerous than hyperglycemia because of possibility of brain damage. Hyperglycemia can be treated with insulin injection or by eating smaller meals and exercise. I wish I had hyperglycemia at this point. You don't realize how bad I feel with impaired cognitive function.

Aerin328 Apprentice

These posts make me think I may be hypoglycemic. I had that glucuse tolerance test where they make you drink a ton of sugar water then watch you crash over 3 hrs and take your blood. Omg I thought I was going to DIE... but they say my sugar never went below 65, which I guess is good. I've been gluten-free for 4 weeks, am hoping it will help...

Guest nini

being gluten-free has definitely helped with the hypoglycemia, but I still have to be careful to make sure I eat regular meals and don't let my blood sugar drop or the symptoms come back with a vengeance. I'm not nearly as reactive as I was before though. And a plus is I've lost 110 pounds to date.

I also should have mentioned I eat 120g of fat and 90g of protein a day as well.

Hypoglycemia is more dangerous than hyperglycemia because of possibility of brain damage. Hyperglycemia can be treated with insulin injection or by eating smaller meals and exercise. I wish I had hyperglycemia at this point. You don't realize how bad I feel with impaired cognitive function.

Oh, I assure you, I know exactly how bad you feel with impared cognitive function, because I'm really hypoglycemic as well. I've been hypoglycemic since I was 13, and it does suck. I've blacked out more than once. I guess it's a matter of opinion then, I'm more likely to be able to find something to eat when I'm crashing than a shot of insulin as I go into sugar shock. Ketoacidosis is something scarier than I want to deal with. JMO.

By the way, hypoglycemia is also treated by eating smaller meals, more often :) If you don't feel like you have your hypoglycemia under control, you should really see your doctor before it gets worse.

By the way, hypoglycemia is also treated by eating smaller meals, more often :) If you don't feel like you have your hypoglycemia under control, you should really see your doctor before it gets worse.

While I know you already know what I'm about to say, and this isn't for you or the OP, since it's well discussed, and is more of a rant than anything else, I've had people *seriously* suggest that the *only* thing you need to do to manage hypoglycemia well is to *just* eat small, frequent meals. The suggestion was that small, frequent meals were the *only* thing that mattered. The person *never* suggested that composition was important, and I've even had doctors fail to sufficiently stress the composition factor. Bugs the crap out of me. (My personal experience has been that composition is more important than frequency. If I eat very well balanced meals for a week, and keep the blood sugar swings very well controlled, I can do three meals a day and a snack and be totally fine without food for a five or six hour stretch, or over the ten to twelve hours between dinner and breakfast. If I'm not eating every meal well balanced, that's totally not the case.)

Vladimir Gluten Newbie
While I know you already know what I'm about to say, and this isn't for you or the OP, since it's well discussed, and is more of a rant than anything else, I've had people *seriously* suggest that the *only* thing you need to do to manage hypoglycemia well is to *just* eat small, frequent meals. The suggestion was that small, frequent meals were the *only* thing that mattered. The person *never* suggested that composition was important, and I've even had doctors fail to sufficiently stress the composition factor. Bugs the crap out of me. (My personal experience has been that composition is more important than frequency. If I eat very well balanced meals for a week, and keep the blood sugar swings very well controlled, I can do three meals a day and a snack and be totally fine without food for a five or six hour stretch, or over the ten to twelve hours between dinner and breakfast. If I'm not eating every meal well balanced, that's totally not the case.)

Since going Gluten-free things have been easier for me. I also try to concentrate on the glycemic effect of my food. Rice cakes, puffed rice, millet , etc. all have high glycemic effect and therefore I avoid them or limit the size of those portions.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Tiffany, I completely agree with you on this one, as I've had the same experience. I find that now, since I've eliminated all the foods I'm intolerant to, I can eat even just one or two well balanced meals, with frequent snacks in between (NOT sugary snacks) and be fine.

au natural Newbie
These posts make me think I may be hypoglycemic. I had that glucuse tolerance test where they make you drink a ton of sugar water then watch you crash over 3 hrs and take your blood. Omg I thought I was going to DIE... but they say my sugar never went below 65, which I guess is good. I've been gluten-free for 4 weeks, am hoping it will help...

Wish being gluten free would cure it all but no such luck.. Pop was diabetic and I have always had probs with low blood sugar. all I can do it watch the refined sugars, they hide everywhere and eat 5 times a day making sure that BREAKFAST is the large meal and DINNER is the small meal. Too many people are screwing up their bodies by not eating breakfast!!!! Usual excuse is trying to loose weight.. youd be surprise

at how much weight you will loose by eating breakfast ! By the way to control blood sugar you need to make sure that youre getting enough calcium. Take a supplament and make sure it has magnesium--this will help your body to absorb more. Most supps are over 1000mg. take 1/2 in the morning with ot and 1/2 in the eve with oj. Your body will only take in 500mg at a time and the oj is an acid to also help in the absorption. :D

I know that you know that I know that composition is important :)

Anyhoo, I didn't mention it in my previous post since we already covered it higher up in the page...

You are completely correct, though!

(what is OP, by the way?)

Chrisser Explorer

This is one of my main concerns. I was having hypoglycemic problems way before I went gluten-free. I've only been gluten-free for a week, and even though my gluten-related symptoms are already better, my blood sugar has been all over the map. I'm still just pretty overwhelmed though and don't have much energy, so I haven't had much interest in new recipes and whatnot...I've pretty much been just doing enough to get through the day, but I need more to actually get things done. I just don't really know where to start though.

I have a blood sugar meter to test my blood sugar, and I start getting symptoms when I get below 90. Technically 70 is still considered "normal" but if I get down below 80 I'm usually on the verge of passing out. So to those that had readings of 65 and 56 (!!), those are true hypoglycemic #'s. This is all information from my endocrinologist.

I know that you know that I know that composition is important :)

Anyhoo, I didn't mention it in my previous post since we already covered it higher up in the page...

You are completely correct, though!

(what is OP, by the way?)

OP - original poster

yeah, we totally rehashed, and it's always well mentioned on the board (something I'm really happy about! :D ), just the misinformation in that case made me want to smack the mis-informer upside the head, hard! :ph34r:

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
This is one of my main concerns. I was having hypoglycemic problems way before I went gluten-free. I've only been gluten-free for a week, and even though my gluten-related symptoms are already better, my sugar has been all over the map. I'm still just pretty overwhelmed though and don't have much energy, so I haven't had much interest in new recipes and whatnot...I've pretty much been just doing enough to get through the day, but I need more to actually get things done. I just don't really know where to start though.

This is how I feel. I know I need to add more variety in my diet, but the double whammy of hypo plus celiac has left me also eating the same things everyday because I know they will get me through the day. To help with energy, I try to get adequate sleep, drink plenty of water, and eat enough protein and fats with my carbs.

It is nice to know I'm not alone. I was surprised to see how many others here have hypoglycemia. Surely it has to be related to celiac disease. Thank you to all who have shared on this thread. :)

Archived