This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone In The New York Metro Area?

Sirevan

Sirevan Newbie

Hi all!

I'm new around these neck of the woods. I was recently diagnosed with Celiac about 2 months now (June 2006) and have been roaming these pages for advice since. I must say these pages have helped me a lot. Now I am just reaching out and seeing if there are any others like me in the New York Metro area. I live and work on Long Island (Nassau County), Male (Engaged.. wedding next Spring) and 27 years old. B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I live in Westchester and work in the city. I spend a lot of time on Long Island though. My in-laws live on Long Island (also Nassau County), and a lot of my friends live on Long Island. Oh and I went to Hofstra.

Have you tried Mama's in Oakdale yet? It is so incredible. I drive from Westchester to go there!

Congrats on your engagement! Where are you getting married? I just got married last October in Roslyn.

kristend Rookie
I live in Westchester and work in the city. I spend a lot of time on Long Island though. My in-laws live on Long Island (also Nassau County), and a lot of my friends live on Long Island. Oh and I went to Hofstra.

Have you tried Mama's in Oakdale yet? It is so incredible. I drive from Westchester to go there!

Congrats on your engagement! Where are you getting married? I just got married last October in Roslyn.

Hey...I live on Long Island too..nassau county. And I went to Hofstra (graduated in 2003), I am 24. I too am very new to all of this just diagnosed in May. Whole Foods and Trader Joes are good places to start. Also, Jandis in Oceanside has a pretty good selection of gluten free products and they have a small cafe/deli where many (if not all) of the products are gluten free. www.jandis.com

I'm having a very hard time eating out, since I used to eat out very frequently, but I try not to get down about it. I have not been to Mama's yet but I can't wait to go. I'm going to Cafe Baldo this week. I've tried a few places in the city - of course Rissotteria, and Asia de Cuba both were excellent!!

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Hey...I live on Long Island too..nassau county. And I went to Hofstra (graduated in 2003), I am 24. I too am very new to all of this just diagnosed in May. Whole Foods and Trader Joes are good places to start. Also, Jandis in Oceanside has a pretty good selection of gluten free products and they have a small cafe/deli where many (if not all) of the products are gluten free. www.jandis.com

I'm having a very hard time eating out, since I used to eat out very frequently, but I try not to get down about it. I have not been to Mama's yet but I can't wait to go. I'm going to Cafe Baldo this week. I've tried a few places in the city - of course Rissotteria, and Asia de Cuba both were excellent!!

I'm 28 (29 in a less than 2 weeks - sniff sniff). I graduated in '99.

I've actually been to the Whole Foods in Manhassett a couple times when out by my in-laws and not that this helps you, but I find the one by me in White Plains is so much better. Have they gotten the Bell & Evans Gluten Free Chicken nuggets yet? I was in there a few weeks ago; had gone to a bbq at my father in-laws country club but I didn't feel safe eating anything there so I figured I would stop at Whole Foods on the way back to their house and grab those. But they guy said he is having trouble getting them. After I left I realized I should have told him to call my Whole Foods and see how they are getting them. Anyway, hope they are because they are AWESOME!!!

Cafe Baldo is so so. Their food is ok, however their desserts are AWESOME!!! Mama's in incredible!! If I lived closer I would be there atleast once a week.

As I'm writing this I just thought of another place I ate out in Long Island that I had a really good experince. Caffe Baci. We went for a christening and I figured I'd pretty much be screwed, but the staff was so nice and couldn't have been more helpful and careful for me. I had a delicious lemon, rosemary chicken with roasted potatoes and green beans. I find eating out is fine if you just communicate with the staff and let them know why you are ordering the way you are and asking so many questions. I am very thin (always have been), and so I find when I start with my crazy order they are just kinda looking at me like I'm the crazy anorexic girl that doesn't want bread and is being slightly narotic. But the second I say, "sorry to drive you nuts, but I'm allergic to anything with wheat or gluten, flour, bread, ect.); they perk up and are like "oh ok!" I find it's very effective and I almost never get sick. You should also get the Triumph Dining cards. I don't like to use them a lot; but I find in certain restaurants it's easier than me explaining.

kristend Rookie
I'm 28 (29 in a less than 2 weeks - sniff sniff). I graduated in '99.

I've actually been to the Whole Foods in Manhassett a couple times when out by my in-laws and not that this helps you, but I find the one by me in White Plains is so much better. Have they gotten the Bell & Evans Gluten Free Chicken nuggets yet? I was in there a few weeks ago; had gone to a bbq at my father in-laws country club but I didn't feel safe eating anything there so I figured I would stop at Whole Foods on the way back to their house and grab those. But they guy said he is having trouble getting them. After I left I realized I should have told him to call my Whole Foods and see how they are getting them. Anyway, hope they are because they are AWESOME!!!

Cafe Baldo is so so. Their food is ok, however their desserts are AWESOME!!! Mama's in incredible!! If I lived closer I would be there atleast once a week.

As I'm writing this I just thought of another place I ate out in Long Island that I had a really good experince. Caffe Baci. We went for a christening and I figured I'd pretty much be screwed, but the staff was so nice and couldn't have been more helpful and careful for me. I had a delicious lemon, rosemary chicken with roasted potatoes and green beans. I find eating out is fine if you just communicate with the staff and let them know why you are ordering the way you are and asking so many questions. I am very thin (always have been), and so I find when I start with my crazy order they are just kinda looking at me like I'm the crazy anorexic girl that doesn't want bread and is being slightly narotic. But the second I say, "sorry to drive you nuts, but I'm allergic to anything with wheat or gluten, flour, bread, ect.); they perk up and are like "oh ok!" I find it's very effective and I almost never get sick. You should also get the Triumph Dining cards. I don't like to use them a lot; but I find in certain restaurants it's easier than me explaining.

Wow! that is so true. I too am thin and everytime I go out to eat requesting my special needs they look at me and say "what are you on a diet?" and its so annoying. sometimes I just don't say anything and order what I might think is safe. I know that is bad but I don't really get typical symptoms so most times I can never tell if I get "glutened" anyway. I will have to check whole foods for those chicken nuggets. I was never a big fan of nuggets but I do miss fried chicken cutlets...and anything fried for that matter!!! Oh, and Cafe Bacci is awesome..I haven't been since my diagnosis but I'll keep that in mind next time I want a good place to eat that is "safe".

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Wow! that is so true. I too am thin and everytime I go out to eat requesting my special needs they look at me and say "what are you on a diet?" and its so annoying. sometimes I just don't say anything and order what I might think is safe. I know that is bad but I don't really get typical symptoms so most times I can never tell if I get "glutened" anyway. I will have to check whole foods for those chicken nuggets. I was never a big fan of nuggets but I do miss fried chicken cutlets...and anything fried for that matter!!! Oh, and Cafe Bacci is awesome..I haven't been since my diagnosis but I'll keep that in mind next time I want a good place to eat that is "safe".

Yeah definately let them know that you are allergic and not just anorexic. I think it helps a) because they don't want to get you sick and B) because now they feel slightly guilty that they were thinking you were gonna puke your food up in the bathroom - but the reality is you have a disease.

It's funny, I was never a huge pizza or fried food person before being diagnosed, but now those are the things I probably crave the most.

Hello. My name is Jillian and I'm addicted to Bell & Evans Chicken Nuggets and Risotteria pizza. LOL!!

kristend Rookie
Yeah definately let them know that you are allergic and not just anorexic. I think it helps a) because they don't want to get you sick and B) because now they feel slightly guilty that they were thinking you were gonna puke your food up in the bathroom - but the reality is you have a disease.

It's funny, I was never a huge pizza or fried food person before being diagnosed, but now those are the things I probably crave the most.

Hello. My name is Jillian and I'm addicted to Bell & Evans Chicken Nuggets and Risotteria pizza. LOL!!

So true...Now I live for baking and finding any bakery that has gluten free stuff. I find myself buying things just because its gluten free. Meanwhile before all of this I would never have cared for certaing things, like dessert...It really messes with your head!! LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
Sirevan Newbie

Hi Jillain & Kristen!

Thanks for your replies. I do apologize in the lag time. I usually go on this site when I have some downtime at work, but I have been crazy busy the last few weeks.

Regardless, it is so nice to see that there are fellow celiacs around me! :)

I'm still adapting to the lifestyle. I was recently diagnosed at the end of June (06) and have been gluten free since. I live 5 mins from the Whole Foods in Manhasset. Although I was in the Whole Foods in Westchester this past weekend and totally JEALOUS!! Not only is the store huge, it also has a much broader range of gluten free goods. Mine is so tiny and always a pain. Although there is a health food store on Northern Blvd a few miles away from that Whole Foods which has some great gluten free stuff, including frozen pizzas!

I didn't go to Hofstra... but of course I know a few people who have. I haven't tried Mama's in Oakdale yet. Although I am trying to experience local places around me. I've found some great sushi places and others that are very accepting to the wheat/flour/rye/oat free diet.

Where in Roslyn did you get married? We just had our engagement party a few weeks ago at the George Washington Manor in Roslyn Heights. There were great with my diet. My fiancee is from New Jersey, although we live together in Great Neck. But we're getting married next spring in West Orange, NJ.

Anyway, thanks again for responding! :)

-Jayson

kristend Rookie
Hi Jillain & Kristen!

Thanks for your replies. I do apologize in the lag time. I usually go on this site when I have some downtime at work, but I have been crazy busy the last few weeks.

I'm still adapting to the lifestyle. I was recently diagnosed at the end of June (06) and have been gluten free since. I live 5 mins from the Whole Foods in Manhasset. Although I was in the Whole Foods in Westchester this past weekend and totally JEALOUS!! Not only is the store huge, it also has a much broader range of gluten free goods. Mine is so tiny and always a pain. Although there is a health food store on Northern Blvd a few miles away from that Whole Foods which has some great gluten free stuff, including frozen pizzas!

I didn't go to Hofstra... but of course I know a few people who have. I haven't tried Mama's in Oakdale yet. Although I am trying to experience local places around me. I've found some great sushi places and others that are very accepting to the wheat/flour/rye/oat free diet.

Where in Roslyn did you get married? We just had our engagement party a few weeks ago at the George Washington Manor in Roslyn Heights. There were great with my diet. My fiancee is from New Jersey, although we live together in Great Neck. But we're getting married next spring in West Orange, NJ.

-Jayson

So Jayson, please do tell which restaurants you have tried that are accomodating to this diet?? I live on the South Shore, but I actually work in Manhasset. I try to explain my diet when I go out to eat and most people never understand, but I just had my blood re-tested after 3 months of being gluten free and everything was normal...so I guess I'm doing something right!

Good Luck to you!!

-Kristen

Random Guy Apprentice

south shore long island here too - merrick

i've had cafe baldo twice - pizza was ok - there's got to be better

chicken parm and baked ziti was really good -

i used to love eating in restaurants. now, not so much, of course. I'm trying to think of good restaurant experiences on long island, and i'm not coming up with anything. That's pretty sad.

I was at La Viola in Syosset on sunday, and that was good, although torturous to watch the other 16 people I was with devour thier pasta and bread sticks and all that

rambling, aren't I...

rg

kristend Rookie
south shore long island here too - merrick

i've had cafe baldo twice - pizza was ok - there's got to be better

chicken parm and baked ziti was really good -

i used to love eating in restaurants. now, not so much, of course. I'm trying to think of good restaurant experiences on long island, and i'm not coming up with anything. That's pretty sad.

I was at La Viola in Syosset on sunday, and that was good, although torturous to watch the other 16 people I was with devour thier pasta and bread sticks and all that

rambling, aren't I...

rg

I hear ya! Same experiences here but I still try to eat out I don't want this to stop me. Please do let me know if you find any restaurants that are really accommodating in our area and vice versa. I am in Rockville Centre. If I eat Italian I usually go for like grilled chicken parm or something plain. I have tried "Best ever low carb cakes" bakery in massapequa and the cheese cake is really good as is the canoli tart thing.

Good luck!

Sirevan Newbie

Oh Italian food... that is one cuisine I do have cravings for. But I am skeptical right now. Its finding the local place that I can trust.

I work in Port Washington and live in Great Neck. As far as restaurants I've been going to:

Matsuya - (Great Neck) Great sushi restaurant and caters greatly to the allergy. They know when I order something if the particular roll has gluten ingredients (i.e. imitation crab, etc.) and will substitute.

Santorini, My love - (Great Neck) Greek restaurant. They do a great job catering to the allergy as well. They make sure to put stuff on seperate part of the grill. Although you must stress to leave to pita off the hummus plate. I usually bring my own gluten-free bread for dipping and take a few spoonfulls on my plate before others dive in.

Legal Sea Food - Great Seafood restaurant in Garden City and Huntington. They have a celiac menu.

P.F. Changs - Garden City... also has gluten free menu. Many of you are already aware of that.

Bens deli - (Garden City, Glen Cove, Plainview) Will cater towards the allergy as long as you specify exactly what you want.

I guess what I strive to do in restaurants in basically say I have a severe allergy and it could lead to serious complications for myself and probably the restaurant.. they will probably adhere nicely. Places I won't trust Fast Food chains (McDonalds, KFC, Burger King). Then again I've never been one for fast food.

Whatever restaurant you choose, just make it a point to make your allergy clearly aware and I'm sure you won't have a problem. Also order your food "Naked" or plain when you just don't know about the flavorings.

Anyway, hope this helps. I'm still trying to get adjusted to things too. Although I feel the most comfortable eating, when I make it myself in my kitchen. Then I have no fear B)

Just my thoughts...

Jayson

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Hi Jillain & Kristen!

-Jayson

Hey Jayson,

Just saw this.

I got married at the Swan Club in Roslyn. I kinda chose it because I was sick of looking at places - LOL!! We looked at places in Westchester, Hudson Valley and Long Island. I LOVED the Bourne Mansion out in Oakdale and did my 5 minute hissy fit of "I want, I want, I want." But made the mature decision that it would just be to much of a schlepp for my family that mostly lives in Westchester and Connecticut. We were also looking at the Swan Club that day and at that point it was the 12th place we'd gone, so I just said this is fine. Hehehe!! But I was very happy with the decision. I wasn't diagnosed when we booked with them, but when I did find out that I had celiac they were amazing and so accomodating. Paul was our maitre'd and he couldn't have been more incredible, helpful and sweet. He definately helped make the day perfect, despite the pouring rain. :)

We stayed over at the Roslyn Claremont and had a brunch for everyone that stayed over the next morning at the George Washington Manor.

Did you grow up in Great Neck? My husband went to Great Neck South. He's a couple years older than me. (will be 31 this year).

Have you tried the bagels from Joan's gluten-free Great Bakes? They sell them at Sweet Karma in East Meadow. They are awesome!!!!

I'm gonna have to try Santorini next time we go out to my in-laws. I've been craving Greek food like crazy lately. What do you normally get there?

In regards to the comments on Cafe Baldo... there is better - Mama's!! I went to Cafe Baldo once and had the same feeling. Not bad, but there has to be better. I thought I would cry when I had the chicken parm at Mama's. It's to die for. I have yet to order it, but I heard the fried calamari there is incredible too.

Oh and I have to add, if you like Ben's and want really good Kosher food, next time you are in Westchester, my family owns Kosher restaurants/delis and we just started a gluten-free menu. We have a few locations but are only offering the gluten-free menu in the Hartsdale location. The restaurant is called Epsteins. (387 North Central Avenue, Hartsdale, NY).

Anyone else hungry now?! Hehe!!

Sirevan Newbie
Hey Jayson,

Just saw this.

I got married at the Swan Club in Roslyn. I kinda chose it because I was sick of looking at places - LOL!! We looked at places in Westchester, Hudson Valley and Long Island. I LOVED the Bourne Mansion out in Oakdale and did my 5 minute hissy fit of "I want, I want, I want." But made the mature decision that it would just be to much of a schlepp for my family that mostly lives in Westchester and Connecticut. We were also looking at the Swan Club that day and at that point it was the 12th place we'd gone, so I just said this is fine. Hehehe!! But I was very happy with the decision. I wasn't diagnosed when we booked with them, but when I did find out that I had celiac they were amazing and so accomodating. Paul was our maitre'd and he couldn't have been more incredible, helpful and sweet. He definately helped make the day perfect, despite the pouring rain. :)

We stayed over at the Roslyn Claremont and had a brunch for everyone that stayed over the next morning at the George Washington Manor.

Did you grow up in Great Neck? My husband went to Great Neck South. He's a couple years older than me. (will be 31 this year).

Have you tried the bagels from Joan's gluten-free Great Bakes? They sell them at Sweet Karma in East Meadow. They are awesome!!!!

I'm gonna have to try Santorini next time we go out to my in-laws. I've been craving Greek food like crazy lately. What do you normally get there?

In regards to the comments on Cafe Baldo... there is better - Mama's!! I went to Cafe Baldo once and had the same feeling. Not bad, but there has to be better. I thought I would cry when I had the chicken parm at Mama's. It's to die for. I have yet to order it, but I heard the fried calamari there is incredible too.

Oh and I have to add, if you like Ben's and want really good Kosher food, next time you are in Westchester, my family owns Kosher restaurants/delis and we just started a gluten-free menu. We have a few locations but are only offering the gluten-free menu in the Hartsdale location. The restaurant is called Epsteins. (387 North Central Avenue, Hartsdale, NY).

Anyone else hungry now?! Hehe!!

Hi Jillian,

I just had my engagement party at the George Washington Manor! That's pretty funny. They were okay with acommodations. Although they did bring in a gluten-free cake from a bakery in East Meadow. I'm not sure of the name of the bakery, but I think my mom has all the info on that. It was awesome. It was like eating one big devil dog.

I didn't grow up in Great Neck myself. I grew up in Brooklyn and then the parents moved out to the Island when I went away to college. I lived with them and now just settling in Great Neck with my fiancee.

I'll have to check out that place Sweet Karma... I'm still investigating smaller supermarkets and health food stores. There is a good one on Northern Blvd called "The Health Nuts". Lots of gluten-free stuff!

I've been to Epsteins several time! My brother used to live in Harrison. We would go there occassionally when wanted some good traditional deli. I'll definitely have to check them out especially if they offer a gluten free menu! Nice to know! Thanks!

Santorini is great! We get the appitizer sampler which overs like 4 different types of their dips. Of course bring your own bread for that and tell them to keep the pita on a seperate dish. I've had several things from their menu without a problem.

Enjoy!! ;-)

Jayson

darlindeb25 Collaborator

East Islip here--south shore too. I live just a little west of Mama's in Oakdale--never eat there though--too many intolerances now.

Deb

• 3 weeks later...
alyNYC Newbie
Hi all!

I'm new around these neck of the woods. I was recently diagnosed with Celiac about 2 months now (June 2006) and have been roaming these pages for advice since. I must say these pages have helped me a lot. Now I am just reaching out and seeing if there are any others like me in the New York Metro area. I live and work on Long Island (Nassau County), Male (Engaged.. wedding next Spring) and 27 years old. B)

Hi,

congrats on your engagement!

I live in Manhattan and I think I may have this disease..I am just now putting it together. any words of wisdom from your journey through this thus far?

LqrMan Newbie

I moved to Astoria in July, but I have had Celiac for almost 7.5 yrs already! I go out frequently to restaurants in Manhattan for my job and haven't had a problem. I try to choose more simple foods and of course tell the waiter/waitress about my allergy and that they need to tell the chef. NYC is definitely one of the best areas in the U.S. for gluten free friendly restaurants, so make sure you take advantage!

• 4 weeks later...
new to LI Newbie

mamas is the best italian food on the island.

whole foods and dr. bwell naturally are the best places to find gluten-free foods

b well also has a gluten-free deli

goods luck

• 1 month later...
allison Rookie

I know this post is old, but anyone in NY City??

• 3 weeks later...
joel Newbie
I know this post is old, but anyone in NY City??

Open Original Shared Link THEY HAVE MEET UPS IN THE CITY

Suffolk County Celiacs

MEETINGS 10 TIMES A YEAR AND THEY ALSO GO OUT TO DINNER

WEST ISLIP SENIOR CENTER 730 PM ON THE 1 ST TUESDAY

LONG ISLAND CELIAC SPRUE ASSOCIATION

For information call Cathy Curraro at (516) 437-3271 4 MEET UPS AT WINTHROP OUT REACH NEXT ONE IS APRIL 20 73O PM

• 9 months later...
mouth Enthusiast
Hi all!

Congrats on the MOve and the engagement, and welcome to Long Island.. 44 F divorced.. ask away..

lynn

I go to local ROCK- raising our celiac kids last monday of each month-- lynbrook library..want more info contact me..

debmidge Rising Star
But we're getting married next spring in West Orange, NJ.

-Jayson

Great new, big Whole Foods Market located in West Orange, NJ :)

mouth Enthusiast
Great new, big Whole Foods Market located in West Orange, NJ :)

CONGRATS!!!!

I HOPE THAT YOU ALL ARE FEELING BETTER..

Archived