#16 2kids4me

2kids4me

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:00 PM

Found this bit of info

Enterotoxigenic E.coli bacteria spread in contaminated food — including raw fruits and vegetables, raw seafood, and unpasteurized dairy products — and in contaminated water. Signs and symptoms, which include watery diarrhea and abdominal cramping, usually last just a few days. The infection normally clears on its own without treatment, and most adults and children have no lasting ill effects.

But E. coli O157:H7 is different. It produces a toxin that damages the lining of the small intestine, leading to intense abdominal cramps and severe, bloody diarrhea. You may have 10 or more bowel movements a day, some consisting almost entirely of blood. The marked loss of fluids and electrolytes causes dehydration and fatigue.

Nevertheless, many people recover completely from the infection in five to 10 days. But others, especially older adults, children under the age of 5 and people with weakened immune systems, may develop a serious complication called hemolytic uremic syndrome. This syndrome damages the lining of the tiny blood vessels in the kidneys, sometimes leading to kidney failure.
Even with the best of care, including blood and platelet transfusions and kidney dialysis, a few children die every year of hemolytic uremic syndrome. Others may have lifelong kidney problems or require long-term dialysis. Still others develop further complications such as high blood pressure, seizures, blindness and paralysis.
http://www.mayoclini.../e-coli/DG00005

OTTAWA (Reuters) - The Canadian government joined the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Friday in steering people away from fresh bagged spinach from the United States because of possible E. coli contamination.
"We're advising Canadian consumers not to eat bagged fresh spinach from the United States," said Rene Cardinal, spokesman for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
One person died and more than 40 people got sick after eating suspected contaminated fresh bagged spinach in the United States. Cardinal said the spinach should not even be eaten cooked.[

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986
hypothyroid -1993
pernicious anemia
premature atrial beats
neuropathy
retinopathy
daughter is: age 15
central hypotonia and developmental delay
balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)
hypothyroid 1996
dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002
celiac 2004 - by endoscopy
diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet
recovered from Kawasaki (2003)
lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06
Gilberts syndrome (April/07)
allergy to stinging insects
scoliosis Jan 2008
nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008
allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13
type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday
celiac - 2004 by endoscopy
lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Kat-Kat

Kat-Kat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:13 PM

hhmmm.. i eat organic local grown spinach here in vermont.
im sure thats safe... what do you guys think?

You are more than likely safe . I am from the farm land What I understand is, the big problem comes from the bag they should not put it in those bags that does not make it safe or better for us. Moisture makes a slime if you feel that trash it and wash your hands right then. The same thing goes for bagged salads, not safe you should ask when you go out to eat. This come from my Doctor to.

#18 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:31 AM

Today I was at a large grocery store here in WI. and noticed that all the spinach was gone except the organic in the clear tubs. So just to be sure I asked if these have been safe. He told me the organic is not on the list (the brand they sell is Newmans) of banned spinach. He told me that they knew spinach was causing problems since late august but they weren't told to remove until it hit the news. Sheesh I couldn't believe that.

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: