Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Do You Treat Cast Iron Pans To Remove Gluten?

• Please log in to reply

10 replies to this topic

#1 spunky

spunky

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:13 AM

I;ve seen this idea mentioned here more than once, but I'm afraid I need specific directions. I have lots of cast iron and dont' want to have to get rid of it all. I mostly made gluteny foods in glass baking dishes, but I know I had wheat pasta in the cast iron pans at times, and I made cornbread with wheat flour in a cast iron skillet.

You put them in the oven and put it on self-clean? Then, do you scrub them and re-season them?

That would be my guess! BUt I'd like more specific directions if people have done this.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:03 AM

I couldn't even begin to guess - I bought a new one. We only had a few anyway, my last husband, came with bunches but he kept all those.
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#3 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:18 AM

I start off with oven cleaner ... its really bad stuff to breath in so open windows before you start aand close the kitchen door.

Give it a really good spray and stick it in the oven when its already hot....

Leave it 15-20 mins and grad it with a oven mitt into boiling water (already in sink) and then using a waterproof volcanised rubber glove scrub it with steel wool.... opull it out and scrub etc. etc.

If you have a drill then get someone used to power tools and one of the steel woll brushes and really clean it up.... it will remove the surface layer eventually (its hard work) and keep using oven cleaner/heat then boiling water

Eventually..... you have stripped it back and you need to reproove it with oil....(like when you buy it new)
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#4 Turtle

Turtle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for brining this up. Very helpful and a good reminder that I need to do something about my cast iron skillet. I haven't yet made anything gluten-free in it yet. But like you i've made gluten cornbread in it previously so guess I better get scrubbing!
~Turtle~

#5 spunky

spunky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:05 AM

I think I'll just gradually start replacing them! Cast iron cookware is pretty cheap if you buy it in the camping department of stores, rather than in the regular cookware department.

#6 santafe

santafe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:14 AM

One way to get the cast iron totally clean is to sandblast it. You will have to find a company or a friend with a sandblaster, and use FINE sand. After the bare metal is exposed, keep it dry! Blow off the sand then rinse with alcohol (won't rust and is nicer than oven cleaner) and re-season as soon as possible before rust attacks from the moisture in the air.
I have several old pieces of cast iron that have been "glutened" for years but I cannot part with them.
This method works well for me.

cheers,

santafe

#7 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:20 PM

I;ve seen this idea mentioned here more than once, but I'm afraid I need specific directions. I have lots of cast iron and dont' want to have to get rid of it all. I mostly made gluteny foods in glass baking dishes, but I know I had wheat pasta in the cast iron pans at times, and I made cornbread with wheat flour in a cast iron skillet.

You put them in the oven and put it on self-clean? Then, do you scrub them and re-season them?

That would be my guess! BUt I'd like more specific directions if people have done this.

Thanks.

Yup, That's what I did.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#8 loco_ladi

loco_ladi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:20 PM

I replaced all mine, seemed like a waste.... but my old loved pans went to a nice home where they are appreciated....

My new ones are just getting "seasoned"
Just my .00000002 cents worth
If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

#9 jdubanjo

jdubanjo

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

I don't have the slightest idea. I just moved into a coop with 20 other people. I had never used cast iron pans before so I had no idea. It only took a few days to realize that nothing cooked in the cast iron can be safe as long as people had used them for gluten filled meals.
Now i just use my own pan and keep it separate. Still learning, sadly. Maybe one day there will be a gluten free coop!!!

#10 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

Do a forum search (top left of page) for "cast iron + self clean" without the quotes. You will find several threads that discuss putting cast iron in your oven on the self cleaning cycle. It seems to have worked for quite a few people. :)
Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#11 AndrewNYC

AndrewNYC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:26 PM

Step 1: Open garbage can.

Step 2: Toss old skillet into garbage.

Step 3: Go to store and purchase new skillet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: