#1 mookie03

mookie03

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:35 PM

Hi guys,

So i was at the supermarket yesterday and went to pick up Alexia's sweet potato fries and noticed they are no longer labeled gluten-free. None of their fries are! And the sweet potato ones had tons of ingredients. Anyway, i emailed the company but was just wondering if anyone had any info on this-- was it a change in ingredients or did they just realize there was gluten in the products? Or are they just trying to be cautious by removing the gluten-free label? I think i'll switch to Trader Joes, which say "Sweet potatoes and oil" are the only ingredients.

Also, i remember there used to be two versions of Dr. Praegers pancakes (broccoli, spinach, sweet potato flavors)- one used to say gluten-free on the package and the other was made with oat bran. I never could figure out why they had two versions, but i havent been able to find the gluten-free ones anymore-- anyone know whats up?

Seems my gluten-free shopping list is getting shorter :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:55 PM

Some of their fries are gluten-free:

Q: Are any of your products gluten free?
A: Alexia Julienne Fries, Rissole Potatoes, Organic Oven Crinkles and Morning Fries, Mashed Potatoes, Oven Fries & Oven Reds are gluten free. top

http://www.alexiafoo...q_main.php#five

I have been eating some of the gluten-free fries with no problems. I believe they are the oven fries.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#3 mookie03

mookie03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:34 PM

Thanks Carrie, I had seen that on the website as well, but was concerned that they hadnt updated it since they removed the words gluten-free from their packaging... i mean why would they take it off the packaging but keep it on the website? Doesnt seem to make any sense!

#4 TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:24 PM

Again, my b/f is a frozen/dairy manager at a supermarket... so he has some inside info on certain items.. he will look into the Alexia stuff... but as for Dr Pragers... there are two kinds of each. They still do offer the gluten free ones... they are totally seperate and have different ordering numbers... you may want to talk to the frozen people where you purchase them. They are still available from Dr Pragers...

I will let you know about the Alexia as soon as we get some info.....
Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05
son born severly premature due to
celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

#5 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:27 PM

I just about cried when I saw what they did to those poor sweet potatoe fries!! Why would they take something healthy and add all that crap!! Anyway I have tried Trader's and Ians, but none were as good as my own. It is easy. I just sliced a sweet potatoe into round circles, coated them in organic olive oil and sea salt, and baked in a baking dish at 400 degrees for about five minutes then flipped and cooked for another five. Yum!!

#6 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:00 AM

ahh. why, why, why? we like the Alexia fries; I buy the different varieties BECAUSE they are gluten-free. Why does it always have to go backwards and not forwards? Go gluten-free not go gluteny....
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#7 Can'tEvenEatRice!

Can'tEvenEatRice!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 12:55 PM

So are the Sweet potatoe ones gluten free? They look gluten free based on the ingredients, but now I don't know? Did anyone get a definite answer that they are not gluten free?

#8 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:22 AM

If you really look into the website of the list of gluten-free items, those are just the catergories.... FOr instance it says julienne fries, however there is the Alexia Sweet Potato- Julienne Fries, Alexia Yukon Gold-Julienne Fries with Sea Salt, and Alexia Sweet Potato-Hanna Gold Julienne Fries with Sea Salt. So it seems to me everything under the julienne fries umbrella is gluten-free. Take a look, http://alexiafoods.c...lienne_main.php
Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

#9 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:10 AM

Why does it always have to go backwards and not forwards? Go gluten-free not go gluteny....

<_<

I know, so frustrating. Anymore it seems we have to just make our own fries, and other foods, so we know what goes into them.

#10 TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:47 PM

Ok, I found out the deal with Dr Pragers, they have oat bran in them. They also contain another form of oat, I cant remember the specific name, but it says clearly oat.
Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05
son born severly premature due to
celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

#11 mookie03

mookie03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

Stephanie-- thanks for checking that out-- i know there are the two versions of the praegers, and one has oat bran and the other does not, but does your second response mean that now all of them have oat bran? b/c those are the only ones i have found lately...but maybe i should just ask the freezer dept to check it out.

As for the sweet potato fries, Loraleena, i totally agree that it is easier to make your own (and healthier) but i am temporarily staying with my parents, and they love to make the sweet potato fries-- they dont cook much and so i was looking for something they could make that i could eat as well...unfortunately right now i have no time to cook so i must rely on what they are willing to make :D

So frustrating- i dont understand why you need more than 2 ingredients in sweet potato fries...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: