This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

No Energy To Exercise - Eating gluten-free Junk!

imagine22

imagine22 Contributor

Im recently diagnosed and struggling with the adjustment to the diet.

I was always really slim (tallish & 130 pounds) and ate whatever I wanted without ever putting on weight - I loved it and unfortunately as a result am really adicted to chocolates and cakes. Im in my late 20's and have for the last 15 years eaten a minimum of 200g (7ounce) of chocolate a day. I assume it was because of celiac i never put on weight.

Recently I had a baby and did put on 20 pounds and was diagnosed celiac.

I have only been gluten free for a week and the problem is Im too tired all the time to exercise or even get off the couch after 2-3pm. and i keep resorting to eating gluten-free cookie dough etc for breakfast as Im trying to find foods to replace the old ones i ate. and i just cant give up the chocolate!

Post baby im 150pounds and want to get back to 130-135, will i have more energy to exercise after a few more weeks gluten free? and do you think i will pack on weight eating chocolates now im gluten free?

thanks,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

You will start feeling better gluten-free, but eating gluten-free cookie dough for breakfast is probably contributing to your afternoon crash. It's normal to gain wait with a pregnancy, and it will come off, but you need to start eating healthier! Sugar at breakfast can contribute to an afternoon crash.

Also, you're healing, so take a nap in the afternoon if you're tired, you need the rest!

How about some fruit? Eggs and gluten-free toast? Leftovers from dinner the night before?

I would also suggest supplementing magnesium (not a cal/mag) as a magnesium deficiency can cause a chocolate craving as chocolate is high in magnesium. Take at least 400 mg.

lovegrov Collaborator

You will get more energy as time goes on but you really need to eat more stuff with protein. Many folks who have celiac and never ever gained weight no matter what they ate will start gaining after going gluten-free. You weren't absorbing things -- good and bad -- and now you are. You absolutely MUST change your eating habits, because not only will your weight go up, but possibly also your cholesterol and blood pressure.

richard

• 3 weeks later...
georgie Enthusiast
You absolutely MUST change your eating habits, because not only will your weight go up, but possibly also your cholesterol and blood pressure.

This has happened to me. I have been snacking on gluten-free cookies and having a wonderful time :lol: Now my last blood test for Insulin Resistance has come back 0.2 higher !!! I am back to my normal diet pre Celiac ...just w/out the gluten. NOT with added extra rice flour, sugar, tapioca flour ,sugar etc I am still losing weight but that is probably the new Thyroid meds.

Guest celiacsher

I was diagnosed 1 and a half years ago and still have not much energy. I am struggling to loose weight as well, but as you will notice gluten-free food is high in calories so it is important to eat alot of veggies. I still have no energy to excersice but am for sure feeling better then 1 yr ago. It took me about 2 or 3 weeks before I had any energy at all, so I would give yourself another week or so. Just hang in there and things will get better. And congrats on your new baby.

Sherri

Nancym Enthusiast

I can overeat on chocolate too but I found a secret... bittersweet chocolate as dark as you can stand it. It really satisfies my craving but I can't eat more than a square or two of it. There are some really excellent brands of it out there, its become quite trendy. The other positive is that it is low in sugar and does't contain milk (which neutralizes much of the health benefits of the chocolate). I usually get mine at Trader joe's, but any good store should have it. Look for 70% or higher cocoa solids.

Also, to eat less junk, just eat a good portion of protein at each meal. For instance, start off with eggs in the morning and/or sausage. Then if you've still got room (and you probably won't) have your cookie dough.

The energy to exercise comes from exercising for me. The best way to start is to just start and don't let the whiney petulent inner-child over ride your decision. You'll feel better on so many levels! Like you've taken control, you'll have better energy, you'll sleep sounder. I always know when it is time to get my butt back to the gym, because I'll start to feel less energetic. And no, I'm not some crazy gym rat. I'm pretty lazy myself.

Archived