Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

How Do You Store Your gluten-free Flour And How Long Is It Good Once Opened?

12 posts in this topic

gee my header question says it all.....

How do you store your gluten-free flour and how long is it good once opened?

Ads by Google:

I use a blend of rice four/tapioca starch/potato starch and I store the unopened packages on the shelf in my kitchen (not near the stove). Once opened I store them in ziploc bags in the freezer and use as necessary. I have not known my flour to go bad at all, but I don't think it ever lasts longer than 3-4 months in the freezer due to my using it all up.

Some other flours are higher in oils and have other reasons for a shorter shelf life, I know soy flour is such a flour, but as I am allergic to soy and my kids don't like most of the other alternative grains we stick to what works for us. I like the flours from Ener-G. I buy those in bulk.

I get Bette Hagmans and store it in the freezer. I don't use much and my bag in there has been fine now for :ph34r: 2 years.

I keep everything but the soy flour at room temp because I just don't have freezer space. I haven't noticed anything icky yet. I'd be more worried about those *&^%! pantry moths than I would about any other kind of spoilage at room temp.

I believe that potatoe flour (not starch) needs to be kept in the refrigerator.

I believe that potatoe flour (not starch) needs to be kept in the refrigerator.

Interesting I never would have thought that...I'll have to look on my package and see what it says.

Gosh I had no idea the freezer was the place to keep it....I have no room there, I may have some room in the fridge tho.....but mostly it is on my pantry shelf in ziplock or in vacum bags....I guess I meant do you put the flour in glass, plastic, ziplock, or just a twisty tie on the package????

All my different flours are Bobs Red Mill brand. I don't bake much with flours, so some flour I had from about 6 months ago I wasn't sure if it was ok...but I threw it out and bought a new one just incase.

Anyone else care to share?

The only thing I put in the freezer is brown rice flour (b/c I hear you should). The rest (white rice flour/tapioca starch/potato starch, and mixes) i just store in my pantry. MIxes like Pamela's that come in their own resealable bag, I just leave in there - haven't had a problem with them going bad and I've kept them for months. Rice flour etc. once it's opened I put in glass containers in my pantry. I"ve had a bag of potato starch and tapioca starch (and xantham gum) in there for almost a year and they are still fine. I haven't been baking much with those since i found Pamela's :)

gee my header question says it all.....

How do you store your gluten-free flour and how long is it good once opened?

I store in a tupperware or some say that they can be refrigerated or frozen. There should be an experation date on the package. if not call the co.

gl

lynn

Gosh I had no idea the freezer was the place to keep it....I have no room there, I may have some room in the fridge tho.....but mostly it is on my pantry shelf in ziplock or in vacum bags....I guess I meant do you put the flour in glass, plastic, ziplock, or just a twisty tie on the package????

All my different flours are Bobs Red Mill brand. I don't bake much with flours, so some flour I had from about 6 months ago I wasn't sure if it was ok...but I threw it out and bought a new one just incase.

i keep them in a flour jar on the counter, never had a problem. esp with the prepackaged junk.

Why don't you get in touch with the company and ask them how to store it??

I keep mine in the freezer and don't have a problem. Annalise Roberts, for her mix says to use it within three months, if it's out. I don't know that that would apply to individual flours that haven't been mixed yet. She also says to refrigerate rice flour.