Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Do You Store Your gluten-free Flour And How Long Is It Good Once Opened?

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 janelyb

janelyb

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:19 PM

gee my header question says it all.....
How do you store your gluten-free flour and how long is it good once opened?
Janel (me): gluten-free since 4/10/07; casien free 5/1/07;soy light 10/07
**LOST 35 lbs since April 2007(much needed weight loss)**

ds(6 yrs)- gluten-free since 3/19/07; casein free 5/2/07;soy free 10/07
HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,7)
new dx= Hirschsprungs Disease w/cecostomy

the non believers, only allergen free eatting at home because they have to be:
Hubby: refuses to eat Gluten-free Casein-free except for dinner
dd(14 yrs)- refuses to go along with any special dietary retrictions *I suspect dairy/wheat intollerant*

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:34 PM

I use a blend of rice four/tapioca starch/potato starch and I store the unopened packages on the shelf in my kitchen (not near the stove). Once opened I store them in ziploc bags in the freezer and use as necessary. I have not known my flour to go bad at all, but I don't think it ever lasts longer than 3-4 months in the freezer due to my using it all up.

Some other flours are higher in oils and have other reasons for a shorter shelf life, I know soy flour is such a flour, but as I am allergic to soy and my kids don't like most of the other alternative grains we stick to what works for us. I like the flours from Ener-G. I buy those in bulk.
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 02:32 AM

I get Bette Hagmans and store it in the freezer. I don't use much and my bag in there has been fine now for :ph34r: 2 years.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:42 AM

I keep everything but the soy flour at room temp because I just don't have freezer space. I haven't noticed anything icky yet. I'd be more worried about those *&^%! pantry moths than I would about any other kind of spoilage at room temp.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#5 Worriedwife

Worriedwife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

I believe that potatoe flour (not starch) needs to be kept in the refrigerator.

#6 janelyb

janelyb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:13 PM

I believe that potatoe flour (not starch) needs to be kept in the refrigerator.

Interesting I never would have thought that...I'll have to look on my package and see what it says.

HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,7)

dd(14 yrs)- refuses to go along with any special dietary retrictions *I suspect dairy/wheat intollerant*

#7 janelyb

janelyb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:18 PM

Gosh I had no idea the freezer was the place to keep it....I have no room there, I may have some room in the fridge tho.....but mostly it is on my pantry shelf in ziplock or in vacum bags....I guess I meant do you put the flour in glass, plastic, ziplock, or just a twisty tie on the package????

All my different flours are Bobs Red Mill brand. I don't bake much with flours, so some flour I had from about 6 months ago I wasn't sure if it was ok...but I threw it out and bought a new one just incase.

Anyone else care to share?

HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,7)

#8 dionnek

dionnek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:06 PM

The only thing I put in the freezer is brown rice flour (b/c I hear you should). The rest (white rice flour/tapioca starch/potato starch, and mixes) i just store in my pantry. MIxes like Pamela's that come in their own resealable bag, I just leave in there - haven't had a problem with them going bad and I've kept them for months. Rice flour etc. once it's opened I put in glass containers in my pantry. I"ve had a bag of potato starch and tapioca starch (and xantham gum) in there for almost a year and they are still fine. I haven't been baking much with those since i found Pamela's :)

#9 mouth

mouth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

gee my header question says it all.....
How do you store your gluten-free flour and how long is it good once opened?

I store in a tupperware or some say that they can be refrigerated or frozen. There should be an experation date on the package. if not call the co.
gl
lynn
Eat Well To Stay Well
Daughter Dx'd Celiac Jan 2007
Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

#10 lfij

lfij

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:31 PM

Gosh I had no idea the freezer was the place to keep it....I have no room there, I may have some room in the fridge tho.....but mostly it is on my pantry shelf in ziplock or in vacum bags....I guess I meant do you put the flour in glass, plastic, ziplock, or just a twisty tie on the package????

All my different flours are Bobs Red Mill brand. I don't bake much with flours, so some flour I had from about 6 months ago I wasn't sure if it was ok...but I threw it out and bought a new one just incase.

i keep them in a flour jar on the counter, never had a problem. esp with the prepackaged junk.
gluten-free since april 05
for the love of gluten-free rice krispies, can we all as a group realize that "celiacs" only refers to a group of people with celiac disease. it is not "celiacs or celiac's disease". it drives me nutso!

#11 mouth

mouth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

Why don't you get in touch with the company and ask them how to store it??
Eat Well To Stay Well
Daughter Dx'd Celiac Jan 2007
Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

#12 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:21 PM

I keep mine in the freezer and don't have a problem. Annalise Roberts, for her mix says to use it within three months, if it's out. I don't know that that would apply to individual flours that haven't been mixed yet. She also says to refrigerate rice flour.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: