This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Food - Venice, Italy

Ms. Celiac

Ms. Celiac Apprentice

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ms. Celiac Apprentice

Ok, the above links should work now...

hathor Contributor

Oh, this looks great. Are you vegetarian? If so, did you find you had a problem with doing that & being gluten-free, also? Looking at what menus that hotel has posted, it doesn't seem like there is that much. But if they work with you, fantastic!

I'm saving a link to your post. My plan is to go to Venice for my 25th wedding anniversary in two years. (Next year is visiting our daughter during her study abroad year in London).

Is it silly for me to be getting so psyched two years in advance :lol:

Thanks for posting

Ms. Celiac Apprentice

Yes, you should definitely be getting excited now. Italy is wonderful! I'm not a complete vegetarian (although I used to be) but I don't eat red meat still. However, while I was in Venice, most everything I had was vegetarian. And the hotel that I stayed at told me that I could order whatever I wanted and they would make it for me. They also said that they would be able to alter almost any of the menu items so that they would be gluten free.

hathor Contributor

I've been in Italy before, but never made it to Venice. And I haven't been gluten-free there before. I do remember that being vegan wasn't a problem, since places usually had a main course veggie platter. I've yet to see that in any "Italian" restaurant in the US.

I'm already looking at hotels. Probably if I do all this planning my husband will just go along with whatever I decide :lol: What made you pick this particular hotel? And what airline did you use -- did they give you food you could eat (and would want to)?

Oh, I do like thinking about vacation more than doing something constructive in the here & now :rolleyes:

Ms. Celiac Apprentice
I've been in Italy before, but never made it to Venice. And I haven't been gluten-free there before. I do remember that being vegan wasn't a problem, since places usually had a main course veggie platter. I've yet to see that in any "Italian" restaurant in the US.

I'm already looking at hotels. Probably if I do all this planning my husband will just go along with whatever I decide :lol: What made you pick this particular hotel? And what airline did you use -- did they give you food you could eat (and would want to)?

Oh, I do like thinking about vacation more than doing something constructive in the here & now :rolleyes:

I chose the Hotel Cipriani because many people have recommended it to me. While there I found out that one of the employees has Celiac Disease which is why they are so aware of it and ensuring that there is no cross contamination. I also loved the hotel because it is on the Giudecca, which is an island away from the main part of Venice. It is pretty much the only place on the island with exception to residential areas. It's not that far from everything, though. The hotel has its own launch and is only about 10 minutes away from San Marco (the main area).

We used Continental Airlines. They did accommodate my request for a gluten free diet, however, I was only allowed to choose one special diet request. They weren't going to be able to accommodate my other allergies (shellfish, eggs, and corn) or the fact that I don't eat red meat.

On my way to Italy they served me for dinner, smoked salmon, a salad with lemon juice, chicken with a tomato sauce and a side of rice and broccoli. For dessert they gave me vanilla ice cream. For breakfast they served me a large Jeannie's Macaroon.

On my way back from Italy, they served lunch, which consisted of a bowl of steamed vegetables, a hamburger without the bun, mushrooms, and spinach. They again had vanilla ice cream for dessert. And for a snack they served me shrimp and chicken with a fruit salad and yogurt.

Nothing looked very appetizing so the only thing that I actually ate was the macaroon. I would definitely recommend bringing your own food with you for the flight.

hathor Contributor

Thanks for the information. I'm definitely interested in this hotel.

Who knows -- maybe different food options will be available in two years. I shouldn't worry about that now. The more important thing is finding stuff to eat once I'm there and it looks like this hotel has that covered quite well.

Did you eat at any other restaurants in the area?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ms. Celiac Apprentice

The only other restaurant that I ate at while in Venice besides the two at the hotel (Fortuny and Cip's Club) was Harry's Bar in San Marco. Although, it is still owned by the Cipriani family. That was good too, although they didn't have any gluten free pasta or bread but they were able to alter a lot of their entrees so that they were gluten free.

hathor Contributor

Thanks again. I can hardly wait to travel in a country where everyone knows about gluten! They actually test all children for celiac. I wonder why they are so enlightened and we aren't? Imagine the gluten-free options we would have here if 97% of celiacs did NOT go undiagnosed and all doctors (and the public) realized that there is such a thing as non-celiac gluten intolerance to boot!

• 2 years later...
Guest deepu

Venice

Open Original Shared Link Locate in a very stylish and romantic corner between the Campo San Polo and the well-known Rialto Bridge, the Ca Michieli apartments give perfect Venice accommodation in a heart of the site for exploring the amazing city.

The apartments are so bright and fine, with airy living areas suitable with very comfortable stylish modern furniture, soothing bedrooms, modern kitchen and the stylish bathroom facilities. These apartments suitable for up to five people. This is an outstanding option for families of gang and gives great value for money.

Two bedroom apartment types have one double bedroom and one single bedroom, and there is a double sized sofa bed in the living area.

Open Original Shared Link set in the San Polo location of Venice, just a short walk away from the well-known Rialto Bridge and the bustling Rialto Market. This location is also well-known for its remarkable churches. All of Venice's attractions are within easy reach, including St Mark's Square and Basilica, several striking Palazzi and the Bridge of Sighs. The booking procedure of this apartment is like the same method as a hotel. They simply complete and submit the safe and protected online booking form. As well as your exact apartment requirements, you will want to supply your credit card details on the booking form. This is very important for the booking to be made. These apartments accept some types of cards like Master card and Visa. The payment you will be asked on coming for full payment at the charge you booked at that time.

kenlove Rising Star

Went to 2 other gluten-free places in Venice last year. The Italian Celiac Association has a list for the whole country and these were on it. The one was amazing and there are a lot of pictures on my site but I cant remember the name!! Could walk there from the train station but the name is another story.. For anyone going to Venice its woth it to check the list -- my desk top computer died last week so I dont have any notes on the antique laptop but aM SURE SOMEONE CAN POST THE LINK FOR ALL THE RESTAURANTS IN ITALY

ken

Archived