Jump to content

Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            




   arrowShare this page:
   

   Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

 
Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    


Photo
- - - - -

Info On Kroger Distilled White Vinegar


  • Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 ginghamkim

 
ginghamkim

    Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
 

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

Hi!

I have a feeling that this post is going to open a gluten-free can of worms, but here it goes. :unsure:

I emailed Kroger about their Distilled White Vinegar. The dietician left a voicemail and said that at least 90% of the grain used is corn. However, the remaining 10% can be wheat or other grains. After final distillation, the vinegar is gluten-free and even certified gluten-free by a Celiac Disease Association. The dietician did say that 10% of the population (I assume the celiac population) does react to the vinegar. In that case, she highly recommends using apple cider vinegar for recipes.

First of all, thank you Kroger for responding so quickly. :)

Secondly, has anyone heard this before? This would explain alot of my sensitivities.
  • 0
Gluten-free since 12/25/06. Soy-free since 3/1/07. High-fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oil free.
Initial problems with gallbladder and pancreas. Taking digestive enzymes to help.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

 
Lisa

    Advanced Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts
 

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:06 AM

Thank you for posting that. This is not at all a surprise to me. One member here is very sensitive to vinegar and alcohol as well. The CSA has deemed distilled vinegar to be gluten free, although as indicated in your response, some Celiacs ARE very sensitive.
  • 0
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 jerseyangel

 
jerseyangel

    Advanced Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts
 

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

Yea--I'm thinking along the same lines as Lisa.

It's a good response. There are some people who will still react to the vinegar despite it being certified gluten-free. We're all a bit different, and apple cider vinegar is a good substitute if you do react.

I don't have problems with distilled vinegar used in some processed foods, but at home I choose to use the apple cider vinegar.
  • 0
Patti


"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 ravenwoodglass

 
ravenwoodglass

    Advanced Community Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts
 

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for posting that. I am one who reacts very strongly to distlilled gluten grains and alcohols. The dietian is correct, many of us will not have a problem but for some of us it is an issue. The only way I know of to tell if you react or not is to challenge the item when you know everything else you are eating that week is safe.
  • 0
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)


celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom


Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: