This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

It's A Pain, But Not The End Of The World...

mrsry

shayesmom Rookie

Today, I think that I would have responded to those people by looking right at them and then turning to the bakery staffer and asking, "Are you aware of any places that offer classes on social etiquette?". LOL! I guess today I'm feeling a bit more passive-aggressive......

LOL,

Last time I had an insensitive comment from a gluten eater I was having a really really bad day and I threatened to beat the hell out of him with the 2 kg bag of potatoes I was carrying. Perhaps not the most mature response but I'm sure he'll think twice before the next time he decides to pisses of a celiac with PMT.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Panopticism Rookie

I work in customer service, and I get insulted all the time for being too skinny(I weigh 125lbs), too pale(Iron deficiency anemia) and looking tired(...Iron deficiency anemia again, plus all sorts of malabsorption).

It's not just people sharing their opinion, it's people telling me to get some sleep, eat more, get some sun, etc.

I have almost gotten myself into trouble a few times for coming right back at the customer and telling them all about celiac disease and how crappy my diet is (with some attitude). I've also turned around and downright insulted and told off some customers...

On top of that, I eat 3 times more than anyone I know. I'm constantly hungry.

Yeah, customer service isn't really my thing... well, people aren't really my thing.

MDRB Explorer
I work in customer service, and I get insulted all the time for being too skinny(I weigh 125lbs), too pale(Iron deficiency anemia) and looking tired(...Iron deficiency anemia again, plus all sorts of malabsorption).

It's not just people sharing their opinion, it's people telling me to get some sleep, eat more, get some sun, etc.

I have almost gotten myself into trouble a few times for coming right back at the customer and telling them all about celiac disease and how crappy my diet is (with some attitude). I've also turned around and downright insulted and told off some customers...

On top of that, I eat 3 times more than anyone I know. I'm constantly hungry.

Yeah, customer service isn't really my thing... well, people aren't really my thing.

I totally hear that! You and I probably look like twins. The worst for me is the weight thing. Because I'm a woman they just assume I'm anorexic, or if I'm scoffing down a huge meal they think I'm going to throw it up once I'm done. Sometimes it really feels like people are accusing me.

Luckily I'm starting to gain a little with the gluten free diet. I used to be about a hundred pounds (I'm only 5ft 2inches) But I'm up to 110 and starting to look healthy again :)

Panopticism Rookie

I've been gluten free for 8 months-ish. I haven't really started to gain weight yet. I'm like a corpse that won't make eye contact. A real life zombie.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I've been gluten free for 8 months-ish. I haven't really started to gain weight yet. I'm like a corpse that won't make eye contact. A real life zombie.

It took me over a year after gluten free to gain weight, so don't lose hope. I'm 5'7" and I was down to 105. I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. Especially working behind the Front desk of a hotel the way I do. People feel like they're entitled to comment on your appearance. No, I'm not anorexic, No, I don't starve myself, yes, I actually do go out in the sun, If you ask me that again, I'm going to set the computer for half hour-interval wake-up calls all night. Got me? For some reason, a lot of black men felt the need to comment on how 'creamy white' my skin was. Yeah, who's the racist here buddy? Fortunately I've gained 30 lbs since then and look like a real person so I don't get hassled anymore.

The only time I've ever had people comment on my food choices in a store is when a newbie wants advice and sees me picking stuff off the shelf and they go 'help'! I actually enjoy that quite a bit.

MDRB Explorer

It will come, it just takes some people longer to heal (as I'm sure you know). I guess you could try vitamins, probiotics and resticting your diet a little more which might help you heal quicker.

I'm still looking quite thin, but have lot that zombie look you mentioned.

I hope you don't get too down, I've been there and even though it can take a while, it does get better.

Wonka Apprentice
It took me over a year after gluten free to gain weight, so don't lose hope. I'm 5'7" and I was down to 105. I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. Especially working behind the Front desk of a hotel the way I do. People feel like they're entitled to comment on your appearance. No, I'm not anorexic, No, I don't starve myself, yes, I actually do go out in the sun, If you ask me that again, I'm going to set the computer for half hour-interval wake-up calls all night. Got me? For some reason, a lot of black men felt the need to comment on how 'creamy white' my skin was. Yeah, who's the racist here buddy? Fortunately I've gained 30 lbs since then and look like a real person so I don't get hassled anymore.

The only time I've ever had people comment on my food choices in a store is when a newbie wants advice and sees me picking stuff off the shelf and they go 'help'! I actually enjoy that quite a bit.

It would never have occurred to me to make comments to a stranger about their appearance. It's just rude.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darcijj Explorer

I think if someone said to me.. "I would just kill myself" .. my response would be:

Oh, that is really sad to want to kill yourself over a piece of cake (or insert gluten food here).. I am glad be be alive and healthy, so it does not matter to me what I cannot eat.

I think it is psad people place sooo much emphasis on food. There are so many more important issues than whether or not I can have a slice of pizza.

:o

kitten37 Newbie

Ignorant people are just that. I'm sorry that it happened like that. I'm Italian so cutting gluten products out of my diet (just started) is VERY difficult for me based on the amount of pasta things I am used to eating. When I first found out what I had to do I think the words "I'm going to die! Everything tasty is being taken away!" But I know there are options and it will take some work and extra planning to cater to my body

Guest hightop girl

I can appreciate this. I have a friend that I can not go to breakfast or dinner with anymore because it makes HER feel unhappy that I can't eat bread, pasta, or a cinnamon roll anymore (at a restaurant). I have tried to explain that even though this is sometimes uncomfortable for me just because I am new to it, I am really trying hard to separate food from fun and friendship, and I am trying to eat to live instead of living to eat. I find it hard when others feel unhappy or uncomfortable because I HAVE to eat healthy food. I think that is just plain weird!

Gemini Experienced
I can appreciate this. I have a friend that I can not go to breakfast or dinner with anymore because it makes HER feel unhappy that I can't eat bread, pasta, or a cinnamon roll anymore (at a restaurant). I have tried to explain that even though this is sometimes uncomfortable for me just because I am new to it, I am really trying hard to separate food from fun and friendship, and I am trying to eat to live instead of living to eat. I find it hard when others feel unhappy or uncomfortable because I HAVE to eat healthy food. I think that is just plain weird!

I think you have hit the nail on the head when it comes to some people's reaction to eating with a Celiac. I thought it was just me and I was beng overly sensitive but I have noticed that my healthy choices when eating out or my ability to disassociate food from fun makes some very uncomfortable and they end up saying stupid or hurtful things. I think they resent the control we have over what we eat and our health and it may serve as a reminder to them that they don't think they could do that. My family are the worst and will make a point sometimes of insulting or making fun of what I eat.....as they sit around and complain about their Celiac like symptoms. I, too, have stopped dining out with certain people who were getting weird about it. It's amazing the control food has over people, isn't it?

Archived