This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"nathan's Famous" Hot Dogs....now Are Gluten-free!

canadave

canadave Apprentice

Hey all!

Nathan's frankfurters (the famous NY ones) have had gluten in them for a long time....but apparently they are now gluten-free!

I just came back to NYC for a visit, and went to the local supermarket, where they had various varieties of Nathan's Franks (natural casing, skinless, different sizes, etc). Everything I'd read on the Internet had indicated that they are not gluten-free, so I was all set to ignore them. But I'd come to get Sabrett hot dogs (which are gluten free), and the store had none. So on a whim, I looked closely at the Nathans.

To my infinite surprise, ALL of the packages I looked at clearly said "GLUTEN FREE" on the front of the packaging, in plain sight. A look at the ingredient list confirmed that. With great anticipation, I bought a package, ate a few, and I did not get sick.

Note that there is no info on whether the production line itself is free from cross-contamination. Also note that I have not had a chance to specifically follow up with the company itself, and there is no information on their website about this.

I also have no idea whether only NYC-local Nathan's are gluten-free. So if you decide to try them, either inspect the packaging at the store, or if ordering online, contact Nathan's directly to confirm the gluten-free-ness of their products.

But either way, this is a very encouraging development!! It was wonderful to eat be able to eat a Nathan's hot dog again!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Very good news. Wonder when they changed.

richard

canadave Apprentice
Very good news. Wonder when they changed.

richard

No idea :)

Here's a blog post from someone who posted photos of the packaging (she said she "read about this", which I think means she read this thread...yay!) :) Note the GLUTEN FREE label....

Open Original Shared Link

Coleslawcat Contributor
No idea :)

Here's a blog post from someone who posted photos of the packaging (she said she "read about this", which I think means she read this thread...yay!) :) Note the GLUTEN FREE label....

Open Original Shared Link

Sam's Club serves Nathan's hot dogs. I wonder if it would be safe to get one without the bun now when I go with my family. We used to make it a regular trip every few weeks and get hot dogs together at the end.

Mtndog Collaborator

YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Only hot dog I ever truly loved!

savvvyseller Enthusiast

Just be careful of Nathan's cheddar-flavored hot dogs, at least for the moment. All of those packages I spotted at a local market had the words "Gluten Free" crossed out in black marker; the ingredients listed gluten.

canadave Apprentice

Just be careful of Nathan's cheddar-flavored hot dogs, at least for the moment. All of those packages I spotted at a local market had the words "Gluten Free" crossed out in black marker; the ingredients listed gluten.

Yes, good point. In response to a query I made, I just got this email from David Kalish, the Director of Purchasing for Nathan's. Note the bit at the end about checking the packages:

"In response to many inquiries from our loyal customers over the past few years, we began work on a new spice formula that did not contain glutens. Nathan's is very proud of the fact that we were able to manufacture our product Gluten-Free. We will be making all of our hot dogs and sausages for both Foodservice & Retail this way shortly. One word of caution: at this time we are in the process of transitioning to our new formula. Not every product both in supermarkets and our restaurants have been converted as yet. Please check your supermarket packages carefully to make sure they have the "Gluten-Free" burst on the label.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to our brand."

It does sound as though ALL Nathan's products are either already gluten-free, or in the process of being made gluten-free soon. What great news!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

killernj13 Enthusiast

The cheddar still have gluten in them in the Shop Rite I was in.

summerteeth Enthusiast

Yes, good point. In response to a query I made, I just got this email from David Kalish, the Director of Purchasing for Nathan's. Note the bit at the end about checking the packages:

"In response to many inquiries from our loyal customers over the past few years, we began work on a new spice formula that did not contain glutens. Nathan's is very proud of the fact that we were able to manufacture our product Gluten-Free. We will be making all of our hot dogs and sausages for both Foodservice & Retail this way shortly. One word of caution: at this time we are in the process of transitioning to our new formula. Not every product both in supermarkets and our restaurants have been converted as yet. Please check your supermarket packages carefully to make sure they have the "Gluten-Free" burst on the label.

Thank you for your continued loyalty to our brand."

It does sound as though ALL Nathan's products are either already gluten-free, or in the process of being made gluten-free soon. What great news!

Good to know - thank you for the information!

Archived