This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Dog Food?

KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Ok..I just got a dog today...kind of unexpected and at the last minute.

Is there any such thing as gluten free dog food? And if not then what do you all use to feed your dogs?

I checked alot of labels of the canned foods at the store and I got the safest label I could find that did not contain gluten directly(of course could be hidden in the natural flavors)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Wow, congratulations!! I love dogs :wub: How did you get it? Name? No suggestions, just congratulations... :D:P

Emme999 Enthusiast

Hey Kaiti!

You are in luck! The spring issue of "Living Without" had an article called "Food that's fit for a dog." It's just a little write up about how gluten can irritate the GI tract of dogs too.

Anyway, at the end of the article they had some suggestion:

Wellness - a line of wheat-free dry & canned foods sold at specialty stores - also at www.omhpet.com

Nutro - available at pet store chains nationwide - www.nutroproducts.com

Innova - available in wheat-free varieties - www.naturapet.com

Flint River Ranch - available in wheat-free varieties - www.flintriver.com

Hope that helps :) Congratulations on your new little friend :)

- Michelle :wub:

jmengert Enthusiast

Congrats, Kaiti! I just got a dog a few weeks ago myself (my first one). I use Nutro, a brand that PetSmart sells. It is gluten-free according to the ingredients, but there may be hidden things in there. As far as dog food (or treats) goes that may have gluten, I am very cautious about him licking me in the face at all--one time he got me accidentally right on the mouth (ick!), so I went and scrubbed up immediately. As long as the dog doesn't lick your face, and you don't kiss his/her fur (I also use a gluten-free doggie wash--from Target, just in case), you should be fine.

Keep me posted on how it goes! It's very exciting--and exhausting!--to have a new puppy!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes! Thanks so much:)

We are going to a pet store tomorrow or the day after so I'm sure they will sell some of those brands. That info definitely helps out.

We got a 4 month old Jack Russell...she is so cute and very content. You tell her to go "home" and she'll go to this doggie bed we have. And she will not climb stairs if we all leave her in the main level she will come to the bottom of the stairs and bark until one of use brings her up. I'll have to post a pic of her on here.

frenchiemama Collaborator

Yes there are. Some are better, some not. Before I had to obsess over my own diet, I spent a lot of time obsessing over my dogs' diets.

First and foremost, do NOT buy dog food at the grocery store. Gluten aside, it's all crap (but it's generally loaded with wheat too).

Natura makes a couple foods that are good. California Natural Lamb & Rice formula (dry and canned) has rice only as a carbohydrate source, and Innova EVO has no grains at all (however some dogs have stool problems with this food because it is so calorie dense).

www.naturapet.com

Natural Balance makes a couple that are gluten-free; the Venison and Brown Rice uses only rice and the Sweet Potato and Fish is grain free. Natural Balance is available at Petco.

Open Original Shared Link

Now I know that there can be some sticker shock with these foods, but they are much MUCH better for your dog and you also feed a good deal less of them because they are more nutrient dense.

Personally, I feed my dogs Eagle Pack Holistic Fish and Oatmeal formula. It's loaded with gluten, but they do SO well on this food I just can't switch them. I gave them a different gluten-free food for about 2 weeks when I first found out I had celiac disease, and I could immediatly tell a difference in their skin and coats and they had terrible gas. I just wash my hands after I feed them and I'm very careful about letting them lick me.

If you want any further info on dog nutrition don't hesitate to ask.

VydorScope Proficient

Okay.. I have to ask... whats the danger here? Do you plan to share the food with your dog? :D I almost never touch my dogs food (has wheat), and if I do, I just wash up.

Sorry if thats a stupid question.. but Im very new at this celiac disease stuff.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Also, for anyone who has concerns about treats - I never give my dogs store bought treats. I give them apple, carrots, cheese and sardines. You cannot give your dog avocado, onion or grapes, but most other fruits and veggies are fine and the dogs love them.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Vincent--I think it's just so that the dog can lick her and she won't worry, she doesn't need to worry about touching the food or anything, etc.

Aww...yes, do post it. Funny, there's a thread complimenting your avatar and you've already found something to replace it with :lol:

VydorScope Proficient
Also, for anyone who has concerns about treats - I never give my dogs store bought treats. I give them apple, carrots, cheese and sardines. You cannot give your dog avocado, onion or grapes, but most other fruits and veggies are fine and the dogs love them.

Or Rasins or chololate... and varing dogs ahve varing degress of response to these things, but its not good for any of them

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Okay.. I have to ask... whats the danger here? Do you plan to share the food with your dog? :D I almost never touch my dogs food (has wheat), and if I do, I just wash up.

Sorry if thats a stupid question.. but Im very new at this celiac disease stuff.

I don't plan on eating dog food...I am worried about her eating gluten containing food and then licking me(which I try not to let her do that). I don't want to have another concern in there so even if I have to pay extra it's worth it for me.

Yes you are right, chocolate is a big no-no. I didn't mention raisins but I should have, they are actually worse than grapes.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Vincent--I think it's just so that the dog can lick her and she won't worry, she doesn't need to worry about touching the food or anything, etc.

Aww...yes, do post it. Funny, there's a thread complimenting your avatar and you've already found something to replace it with :lol:

HAHA yeah...I may just put a link to it on here or put it on the avatar for a day or so.

You are correct...I am not worried about touching the food because I can easily wash my hands...it's the licking because this dog is a licker and no matter how hard you try to stop her she will get you somehow and I want to eliminate the chances of being glutened as much as I can.

VydorScope Proficient

The only treat I give my dog thats store bought anymore is a product called "Greenies" its basicly all the good stuff out of grass, and he LOVES it. Its the only treat that I have seen that acutlly has a postive impact on doggie breath.

Another one I forgot is Nature's Variety New Zealand Venison. It uses millet and pumpkin seed.

Here is a site that lists the top canned and dry foods:

Open Original Shared Link

These are usually smaller companies who have excellent customer service if you have any questions on their ingredients.

Wysong makes some 100% meat canned foods that are a good addition (but need supplements if they are the main diet).

ianm Apprentice

I have owned several dogs and in my experience it's not the food they eat you need to worry about when they lick you. It is all of the other disgusting things that dogs can't resist putting in their mouths like roadkill and things of that nature :lol: .

mytummyhurts Contributor

I've thought about this with my cats food before, because I've noticed when I pour it (I pour a large amount into a tupperware container so it's easier to dispense) a big huge cloud rises above it. I use Science Diet. Is that good?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
I have owned several dogs and in my experience it's not the food they eat you need to worry about when they lick you. It is all of the other disgusting things that dogs can't resist putting in their mouths like roadkill and things of that nature :lol: .

Yeah I try not to think about that lol

You know I've always wanted to know if they have some sort of dog mouthwash...like everytime after they eat, go to the bathroom, go outside and everything if they could lick some germ killing mouthwash that would help get rid of all that gross stuff...I don't even know if there is such a product but their should be :D

I use Science Diet. Is that good?

Do you want my honest opinion?

No. It's not nearly as bad as something like Ol' Roy, but it's not worth the outrageous amount that they charge for it. For about the same price, you can get a MUCH better quality food that will be better for your animals and you will feed less of it.

For cats I would recommend Innova EVO for cats (I'm not sure of the availability yet, it's new on the market) , California Natural or Natural Balance venison and green pea (those should all be gluten-free and much better for your cat). I would not recommend Nutro for cats because it seems to increase the risk of UTI.

psawyer Proficient

IMHO Science Diet is way overpriced. There are better foods available for less. I own a pet supply store, and I sell Science Diet, but as I said, I have better quality for sale at a lower price.

Kaiti, check for a PM from me.

*High-Fives Psawyer*

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Wow, congratulations!! I love dogs :wub: How did you get it? Name? No suggestions, just congratulations... :D:P

I forgot to answer this post..

We named her Bear. She is a 4 month old Jack Russell. Very content and kind of like a spoiled lap dog :lol:

We got her from some friends. My mom and I went to their house for some paperwork for her work. We got there and they asked if I wanted the dog. They have 3 others and wanted to get rid of this one. So we got her :D

JRT's are soooo cute!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I got a picture of her now :D but I don't plan on switching my avatar so soon..so if anyone wants to see her just email me and I'll send ya a pic of her

Emme999 Enthusiast

Bear is a CUTE puppy!!!

Congratulations Kaiti :)

- Michelle :wub:

Archived