Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Would You Do Or Say If This Happened To You?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

I realize my whole "No gluten" lifestyle is alien to the majority of people. I get that. But I thought I'd been through every possible culture shock since I went gluten-free in 2006. I've weathered them all; the ones I anticipated and even the ones I could never have expected.

My house is gluten-free, 100% no ifs ands or buts. In addition I have maybe a dozen other food allergies I have to watch out for.

And I shop on ebay quite a lot for my business that I run out of my home. I mostly buy from individuals.

I bought a vintage collection from a very nice woman, or so she seemed last week. It arrived today at my PO Box. The box was wrapped in wrapping paper which I thought was odd and it felt kind of soft, like it wasn't a "normal" box. But I never gave it a thought. I cut the wrapping paper off the box when I got home and found my self face to face with the box for "Raisin Bran Granola with Wheat Flakes". I literally froze. Then I panicked. Then I screamed. Then I screamed some more. I left the box on the counter. I haven't opened the box yet. I'm still too stunned.

The thing is, I go to all the trouble and grief to live this life and I don't expect anyone to understand or agree or even participate in it, then some ding bat ebayer sends me a box that once contained poison. I'm beside myself here and I'm lost. I guess I can open the box but the box is surely been CC'd as have most like the contents, one of which is a small book which you can't really scrub clean now can you?

If it were you, what would you do?
"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

Do you have DH?

Could you have a friend open the box, remove its contents, and do whatever needs to be done with them?

#3 Aphreal

Aphreal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:04 PM

What was it you bought? Like an item they used the cereal box to pack and did the seller know about your allergy?
Started exhibiting symptoms 1979
DXed IBS 1987
Self Dx Gluten sensitive via elimination diet July 2010
Gluten free since July 12 2010
Carb&Sugar light August 2010
experimenting with being Grain light

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:09 PM

Make sure you ding that idiots stars and leave a neutral for the poor packing, no need to mention your allergy in the feedback. I can't believe that someone would ship items in a cereal box. I don't know what you bought other than the book but if you can do without the items if the seller allows refunds you could contact them before you leave feedback and ask if you can send them back. The idea to have someone else open the box would work, as would putting on some rubber gloves and opening it on the porch. Just take your vacuum to the book or any other unwashable stuff in there. I buy second hand books all the time and as sensitive as I am I haven't had any issues. I just wash my hands after reading them and before eating.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

Relax. Remember the cereal never touched the box, it was in a plastic bag. You should be fine unless she used the cereal as packing matter. Wait, she may have. One in ten trillion that she'd used the cereal but since it went to someone gluten free.......Have someone else open it outside, just in case. But relax, it's fine.
1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember
1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms
Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance
2000-osteopenia
2001-had stroke because of medications I was given
June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months
June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)
May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

#6 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

Relax. Remember the cereal never touched the box, it was in a plastic bag. You should be fine unless she used the cereal as packing matter. Wait, she may have. One in ten trillion that she'd used the cereal but since it went to someone gluten free.......Have someone else open it outside, just in case. But relax, it's fine.

My thoughts exactly. It's probably fine. Ask a friend to open it outside if you are concerned. The book may be wrapped in something else like plastic or paper inside the box, in which case it didn't even touch the box. The box probably never came into contact with much of the cereal anyway.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#7 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

Perhaps I'm strange then. With every box of cereal I've ever had invariably no matter how hard I try some of the cereal gets out of the bag and slides back into the box when you tip the box back up after pouring.

I read the ingredient list on the box. It mentions wheat five different times, and soy twice. Do these people have a clue what they're eating?

From now on I will apparently have to specify to every seller "Do not ship your product in old food boxes of any kind." What an odd thing to have to say to anyone.

My thoughts exactly. It's probably fine. Ask a friend to open it outside if you are concerned. The book may be wrapped in something else like plastic or paper inside the box, in which case it didn't even touch the box. The box probably never came into contact with much of the cereal anyway.

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

#8 vbecton

vbecton

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

Okay, I'm an ebayer and would NEVER ship my goods in old food boxes. GROSS! However, this made me think of my very cheap and frugal husband who would most certainly "recycle" any type of box for shipping and would NEVER even think twice about it....and he TOTALLY gets the Celiac thing. So, go easy on the poor dingbats ratings, but you should definitely mention the poor packaging and possible contamination that was shipped to your poison-free safe zone!!! Some people have zero brain cells :blink:
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease, July 2010, after 20 years of chronic low blood sugar and GI issues. I blame undiagnosed Celiac Disease for not becoming a professional marathon runner and being such a pathetic athlete in college. I was robbed :)

Gluten Free 04/2010
Dairy Free 06/2010
Soy Free 05/2010
Legume Free 05/2010
Caffeine Free 05/2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: