Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Does Gluten Free Mean?

6 posts in this topic

Does "Gluten Free" mean "Wheat Free" and does "Wheat Free" mean "Gluten Free." I'ver read a few articles stating just because a food item declares itself to be gluten free it may still contain wheat.

Last night I decided to try the "Gluten free Moo Goo Gai Pan" from PF Changs...2 hours later I was in horrible pain which lasted all night. That was the only thing I had to eat yesterday. Is this ever frustrating.

Ads by Google:

Something that is gluten free is going to be wheat free but something that is wheat free may not be gluten free. Gluten is in wheat, rye, barley and some of us react to oats. Many 'wheat free' items still contain another gluten source. The PF Changs could have been CC'd or something in it may have just been too much for your system if you are still healing.

When I read "Gluten Free" I'm under the impression that a product with such a label is advertising that the product is free of wheat, barley, rye, and oats. Of course I still read the label because there really is no regulation set on labeling something as "Gluten Free". "Wheat free" means just that...there is no wheat but there could very well be barley, rye, and/or oats.

Like Raven said you may have been CC'd or maybe you are still healing and something else bothered you. Even if there is a gluten free menu, you still need to be careful and vigilant and express to your server and the manager about your special dietary needs. Some restaurants are better than others. We go to our local PF Chang's occasionally and they so far have been very helpful and accommodating. Not everyone has that experience I've heard.

In the US, there is still no regulated definition of gluten-free, despite FALCPA having set a time line to have at least a proposal in place by 2008.

As RWG said, gluten-free means wheat-free, but the reverse is not true. Wheat is not the only source of gluten, as it is also contained in rye and barley. Oats are subject to debate, but most commercial oats in North America are contaminated with wheat and thus unsafe for celiacs.

Do you react to soy? I can only have "Philip's better Lemon Chicken" from PF Chang's because I can't tolerate soy. You may want to try eliminating soy and see if that helps your system at all. It did mine, but I can't really enjoy PF Changs anymore. . . Sorry! Or it could be CC, as other posters have suggested. <_<

-Daisy

You probably got CC'd.

At restaurants with a gluten free menu I tell the waitress or manager that I'm very sensitive. I request that they speak personally to the chef and let him know I'm sensitive to cross contamination and can he please be extra careful with my order.