2 replies to this topic

#1 RollingAlong

RollingAlong

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

Here's a link to a meatloaf recipe that avoids gluten, casein, and egg.

It is by Barbara Kafka, who is gluten intolerant. She writes fabulous cooksbooks, and answers questions on her blog. I have Soups, Roasting and Vegetable Love and whole heartedly recommend them all. She also does a lot of microwave cooking.

It is the recipe of the week, so you may have to search the library section later. http://www.bkafka.com/

I don't have any teff flour, but I hope to try this out soon and I would love to hear from any one who does try it. (The population of people who eat gluten-free/CF/EF must be fairly small?)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

I printed it. It sounds good or really awful but its worth a shot. I only have to be gluten-free but don't need to add alot of cheese to stuff because of fat & calories.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:02 PM

Hmmm... I can't really fathom flour or quinoa in a meatloaf. Or soy sauce for that matter. Also can't see cooking it in the microwave. But maybe it will work.

I do a meatloaf with ground beef and plenty of vegetables, including spinach. Just depends on what I have in the house. I used to use ground flax instead of egg, but this last time I tried some baby food squash. I saw this on another board and any way I can get more vegetables into my daughter, the better! I also use gluten-free oats and some V8 or similar juice.

I bake the meatloaf in the oven. The problem I have with it is that it gives off a lot of liquid. At times it has been so much that it dripped to the oven floor. But this last time it did not. Just made it hard to take out of the oven. But after it sits for a while, it absorbs the liquid.

I've been told that perhaps I should cook the vegetables first. I haven't tried that yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: