This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feels Like Im Reacting To Every Kind Of Food:(

Mama Melissa

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

Hello all, almost 2 months into this diet, i was doing well and this past week i added in coffee though i was doing ok until a couple days later i had severe nausea then the next day upset stomach w nausea the following day very bad depression and when i eat i get symptoms of hypoglecimia and other weird array of symptoms like a cough after eating accompanyed by a uneasy feeling in my chest its really scary but i know these symptoms are brought on by the foods im eating, the thing is i didnt add any new foods into my diet i was seemingly ok with these foods a week or so ago.My question to you is this just cause im new to the diet and my immune system is out of whack or will i have to deal with this forever.Its soo upseting i am also not gaining any weight while i do eat 3 meals a day and take gluten-free vitamins i feel like its hopeless!When they tell you oh just eat gluten free and all your problems are solved it sounds soo easy but sometimes i feel worse than before i was diagnosed:( Please someone help!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Hello all, almost 2 months into this diet, i was doing well and this past week i added in coffee though i was doing ok until a couple days later i had severe nausea then the next day upset stomach w nausea the following day very bad depression and when i eat i get symptoms of hypoglecimia and other weird array of symptoms like a cough after eating accompanyed by a uneasy feeling in my chest its really scary but i know these symptoms are brought on by the foods im eating, the thing is i didnt add any new foods into my diet i was seemingly ok with these foods a week or so ago.My question to you is this just cause im new to the diet and my immune system is out of whack or will i have to deal with this forever.Its soo upseting i am also not gaining any weight while i do eat 3 meals a day and take gluten-free vitamins i feel like its hopeless!When they tell you oh just eat gluten free and all your problems are solved it sounds soo easy but sometimes i feel worse than before i was diagnosed:( Please someone help!!!!

Coffee makes me sick as a dog. Try tea or hot cocoa until your intestines have a chance to heal. Coffee is very harsh on the digestive system b/c of the acid. You will get better! Give it time. You are still healing. I felt like that for at least 6 months. I didnt gain any weight either for about 6 months. Hang in there. I have been there.

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

thank you for your response i am back to drinking my tea but i have to admit i am lost without my coffee i just hope i can eventually go back to it:(

mushroom Proficient

At the beginning your body is hyper-reactive and ready to react to anything, literally. You have to keep it simple, keep to whole-food single ingredients as much as possible, things that are easily digestible and make it as easy on your system as you can until it has a chance to heal. No, it won't be like this forever... but the sooner you stop upsetting it the sooner it will heal, and I agree to drop the coffee and try some soothing herbal teas.

You won't start gaining any weight until you have done some healing so that you are absorbing nutrients. Are you taking a probiotic to help with gut healing?

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

mushroom i take pioneer gluten-free multi vitamin a gluten-free b12 vitamin and before dinner i take a probiotic called DDS plus it has L.acidophillus and B.longum & FOS. so it is suppost to have a pre and pro biotic which i heard is very good and do see a positive change after i started i however was wondering if i should add in a digesive enzyme??? had anyone had any luck with those??

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

i was also taking fish oil and even tho it said gluten free i seemed to get nausea when taking it so i stopped that and am thinking about trying a diff brand as i have heard that it does help support the brain and helps with the inflammation

mushroom Proficient

Yes, I took digestive enzymes for a long while because I didn't feel like my pancreas was producing enough. At first I would take one with every meal, eventually just took them with my evening meal, and found them very beneficial. If you can find a fish oil that agrees with you, the Omega 3's are very helpful. I was told to keep mine in the freezer and I think it helps with them not repeating on you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

thank you mushroom can i also ask how long you have been on the diet??? and also do you still take the digesive enzymes and probitics?? also did you find yourself to be able to tolerate more foods after a certain time?? they told me my damage was mild could of fooled me but i think i was prob undiagnosed for 3 or so yrs which isnt as bad like some others going decades which i am greatful for:)

mushroom Proficient

I've been eating gluten free for three years now, but I was symptomatic for 30 years while being told I had IBS and was a hypochondriac and head case :rolleyes: I was never tested because of this - just figured it out for myself, and stumbled along with the help of this forum finding my way through the other intolerances. I have so far only been able to add lactose back in - I will always be intolerant of soy and corn. The foods I am hoping to add back in are nightshades, lentils and citrus. But I do still have a leaky gut and until I can cure this (I have been put on a new dietary regime by a nutritionist, including a new probiotic VSL#3) am not even going to challenge them.

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

wow 30 yrs god bless you!!! I first started having depression and weird symptoms here and there i didnt think much of it but i have been dealing w the stomach problems for about 2 yrs. All my blood tests always perfect and people told me im a worry wart but i knew something wasn't right so i finally told them to do a blood test for gluten sensitivty/celiac when it came out positive for celiac i was shocked i thought maybe i was just sensitive then i followed up with a biopsy which confirmed it but i have to say all my doctors were very forthcoming:)I did see a nutrionist but she didnt deal w celiac specifically and i am apart of a support group in my area they suggest i wait till 6 months to be restested to make sure my antibodys go to normal but i feel like maybe i should go back to the doctor to have a vitamn panel done(was told i dont have anemia) also maybe have tests for food intolerances.Do you suggest i wait a little or go for it and have these tests done right away??Btw thank you for being soo helpful it feels great to have people who understand:)

mushroom Proficient

I have never been much of a believer in testing for food intolerances - I have seen results of people testing positive to bunches of foods that 3-6 months later they were able to eat without problem (the hyper-reactivity I was talking about). I would definitely keep a food and symptom diary and see if there is any correlation you can find between what you eat and how you feel. And I do think it is definitely a good idea to be tested for nutrient deficiencies (especially Vits. D, B12, folate (and minerals potassium, zinc and calcium) and to get your thyroid function checked. These are all common problems with celiac disease. But I don't see much point in having your antibodies rechecked at this stage. It may take a year or so for everything to settle down; for others it takes longer.

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

thank you for your input i had my thyroid looked at 2 months ago they said it was fine:) as for a food diary i tried that but my body was reacting to certain things one week and then the next i was ok with the same thing so i tend to think its just out of whack and im staying hopeful i will one day tolerate these things:) thanks alot for all your help keep in touch ~melissa~

cassP Contributor

melissa- look for Ultra Fish Smart.. its the ONLY fish oil ive taken that doesnt make me nauseous .. all the other ones make me sick to my stomach (even when i tried the trick of putting it in the freezer for awhile).

also- coffee is very irritating to some people's intestines. im not sure that it ever changes... i think your body gets used to it..

coffee has always irritated me, but im addicted to it- i feel like i need it to go to the bathroom. i can handle a cup- maybe 2 .. but anymore than that, or too hot- i'll get really nauseaus and have "D". "THAT" is my body used to it. if i was to go without it for months- and then take a sip- i would have to RUN to the bathroom..

and Mushroom: how do u go completely corn free???? i would like to go corn free (after thanksgiving of course)- but corn byproducts are in EVERYTHING!!! how do u escape it?? its in gum, and meds... and cold cuts :(

ive started to react even more to corn products since ive gone gluten free.. its really annoying.. today i was eating turkey pepperoni (which never bothered me before ever).. and i had a similar reaction to it today- as i did recently to High Maltose Corn Syrup.. so, im assuming it was the Dextrose that set me off... how am i going to do this?? how have u done it? :(

mushroom Proficient

Well, when I said "totally" corn free, I did fudge a bit; that is, I have found that it is the lectins in corn that bother me, and the lectins are contained in the outer skin of the corn kernel. So I can handle a little refined corn starch without problem because the skins are long removed. But corn on the cob, masa harina, corn chips, anything with a trace of the corn kernel covering is a killer. I discovered this after I put the "totally" in my signature so I guess I am a bit of a fraud and should take it out, because corn filler in my meds does not bother me, whilst gluten does :o However, I do avoid it at all possible opportunities :P

T.H. Community Regular

When I was trying to avoid corn for my family, I got a lot of help to figure out what was safe, and what wasn't, from this website:

Open Original Shared Link

She has an allergy to the stuff, so she always knows when she encounters corn, and she has a list of products and brands that have been safe for her. :-)

I was thinking corn was getting me, big time, and then found out it was the gluten contamination IN corn, or at least that's the current theory...I think I'd almost rather it was the corn. ;)

T.H. Community Regular

I had a problem reacting to nearly every food, as well, when I first went gluten free. Very difficult to deal with - you have my utmost sympathy!

For myself, vitamins, probiotics and fish oil all made things worse. They are gluten free, yeah, but they had more gluten than some of the processed gluten free products that I was trying to avoid in the first place, best I can tell (I had medication for one week straight after a surgery in the middle of it all and I was so sick I ended up in the ER. :( )

I had to drop lots of foods from my diet - whenever I thought I reacted - and I slowly got better. Turned out that it typically WAS gluten - from sprays on fruits and veggies, or CC in very low levels that were still considered to be gluten free. So...if you think a food has got you, I'd trust that feeling, drop it, and see if it helps. Once you feel better you can always test your theory and try to add it back in, ya know?

Also, one thing to remember, as well, is that some symptoms can come on 24-48 hours after gluten exposure. That's how it hits my father and brother, typically. So the coffee could have been contaminated and given you a gluten reaction.

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

thank you everyone this is seriously a pain in the butt if i avoid everything i "think" im reacting to i will have "nothing" to eat and im getting soo skinny cause i am starting to not even want to eat its soo frusterating i almost wish i never went gluten-free:(

GF&lvnit Newbie

I want to thank all of you for these posts! I am having similar issues with suddenly it feels I react to AIR! I was doing amazing and feeling like a new person and then went on a vacation and it appears got into gluten (I was swollen head to toe and even had my lips swell and break out). Since I got back I am sensitive to everything! Before I just stayed away from all gluten. Your input has been helpful!

I wondered if any of you have the skin issues? My skin is VERY thin on my face now and just comes off! If I get any acne the spot turns into an oozy dry patch 4 times the size of the acne that started it and takes WEEKS to heal! I use all gluten-free products on my face, but I look awful at times. It looks like sores all over. Is this common with celiac?

cassP Contributor

thank you everyone this is seriously a pain in the butt if i avoid everything i "think" im reacting to i will have "nothing" to eat and im getting soo skinny cause i am starting to not even want to eat its soo frusterating i almost wish i never went gluten-free:(

i cannot relate to the "not being able to gain weight" complaint at all .... weight easily sticks to me..

if you want the weight to "stick"- try adding white rice to every meal- it will definitely help- if white rice constipates u- then add even more veggies on top of that - but the calories in that carb form will definitely be good for another good 5 lbs for sure

ps- white rice is even delish with your morning scrambled eggs :P

cassP Contributor

I want to thank all of you for these posts! I am having similar issues with suddenly it feels I react to AIR! I was doing amazing and feeling like a new person and then went on a vacation and it appears got into gluten (I was swollen head to toe and even had my lips swell and break out). Since I got back I am sensitive to everything! Before I just stayed away from all gluten. Your input has been helpful!

I wondered if any of you have the skin issues? My skin is VERY thin on my face now and just comes off! If I get any acne the spot turns into an oozy dry patch 4 times the size of the acne that started it and takes WEEKS to heal! I use all gluten-free products on my face, but I look awful at times. It looks like sores all over. Is this common with celiac?

how long have you been gluten free? are u avoiding dairy? how bad were u when u were dx?

because- when i used to eat gluten years ago- i felt like i reacted to everything including drinking water!!

FooGirlsMom Rookie

i was also taking fish oil and even tho it said gluten free i seemed to get nausea when taking it so i stopped that and am thinking about trying a diff brand as i have heard that it does help support the brain and helps with the inflammation

I used to get sick as a dog taking Omega 3,6,9 but I found a brand - Natrol - that makes a lemon flavor one and I tolerate it perfectly. My husband got queasy on the old one and does super well on this new one also.

Hope that helps,

FooGirlsMom

Mama Melissa Enthusiast

thank you foogirl

glumech Newbie

I have the same problem after just a little while..

I was diagnosed Celiac a few months back and went gluten free, I started feeling much better. Now however, every other day I seem to be feeling sick, stomach, headaches etc. I have stuck to almost the exact same food since I went gluten free and all of a sudden it's not sitting well with me.

I have the weight issue as well, have been extremely skinny all my life, almost impossible to gain even 1 lb.

Anybody have any good ideas how to deal with these issues?

Could an occasional cigarette or alcoholic beverage cause such issues?

please help!

Archived