20 replies to this topic

#16 behappy123

behappy123

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

Oh my! This is not silly at all. It is serious. Something isn't working and you are being diligent. I would cry too. I have only been gluten free 2 months and I was extremely and severely ill for 7 years, but I have had relief from the constant pain and the headaches. I do wonder if you have considered the secondary food intolerances some people get. Soy, Dairy, and Corn. I was rocking along all great with the diet and feeling better then suddenly found myself reacting to something. My face would swell and I would feel lousy. It turns out that I can't tolerate soy and it is in a lot of gluten free foods. Also vitamins and cooking oils. I had to do a second round of throwing out all sorts of canned goods due to the soy. Like tomato sauce, refried beans, salad dressings even my good old mayonnaise. Jeez soy is in everything. Other people here have had problems with dairy and have had to eliminate it for at least the first 6 months until they heal enough. Another common intolerance is nightshades-tomato, potato, peppers, eggplant are the main foods there. I find now that I have eliminated soy I only have joint pain if I eat potatoes. These multiple intolerances sometimes go away after several months or you may need to avoid them entirely. It is a process.

Be sure you are getting enough protein. I wasn't eating enough for a while and was feeling kinda lousy. Then I learned the hard way about cross -contamination. If you are in a house full of gluten eaters then it will be more difficult to stay gluten free. I mean, maybe you are reacting to cross contamination and you know a lot of people here talk about how their reactions get more severe on even tiny amounts of gluten.

I would think you should be feeling some relief by now and I hope you can figure out what it is. I hated being sick for so long. I'm sure you do too. Especially the pain. I'm glad you have a supportive family. If you have any questions feel free to ask. We will all help you. My last thought is throw away your toothbrush. I cleared the kitchen and meds and bathroom of all gluten containing items and somehow forgot to change toothbrushes...that set me back about a week. Just a few thoughts for you. I'd give you a hug if I could. It sucks to be sick.

This is gold. I'm new to all this and have been searching this site for answers.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

Welcome to the best place to learn.
I hope your healing goes really fast.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.
I would never be well without these folks.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#18 KaelinG

KaelinG

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

I'm flaring again... I've already cut out dairy and that helped for a while. I made some gluten-free dairy-free tomato soup and I'm in unbearable pain. I think I may need to consider nightshades. How would I know what that looks like? Help me please!

#19 Rachel W

Rachel W

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

Yes you may want to try nightshades too ! I was sick for what seemed like forever!(party pooper i am huh lol)..
It is going to be try it and see kind of thing, sometimes i can eat something and be fine, somedays i feel like a ate a flourfilled cake ! Its hard but you can do it :) you will find a few foods that you can always depend on :)...Be sure you are not getting CC (spoons, counter tops, can openers even depending on how sensitive you are)! also, have you had your Thyroid checked? What about Gallbladdder function?

#20 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

I'm flaring again... I've already cut out dairy and that helped for a while. I made some gluten-free dairy-free tomato soup and I'm in unbearable pain. I think I may need to consider nightshades. How would I know what that looks like? Help me please!

There are actually a lot of different nightshades, but the foods that people seem to react to mostly are tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and eggplant. Sweet potatoes are ok though.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#21 sb2178

sb2178

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:21 PM

I had to cut out peanuts and dairy. After the dairy came out, I'm fine with everything else except for large amounts of peanuts. Bah. I'm still annoyed, and cheap with the dairy sometimes. The reactions are much much milder now though. If I totally stayed away from it, I could probably be one of those people who re-introduce it without any problems at 6 months or a year! That should have been my New Year's resolution...

You may also want to schedule follow-up blood work sooner rather than later if you're not feeling significantly better soon. That can help reveal if you are getting too much contamination too fully heal.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: