This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Leaky Gut - What Are Good Fruits And Vegetables To Eat?

catarific

catarific Contributor

Again, I know this is individualized - because tolerance is different from person to person.

I found an article that said to eat fruit, vegetables, etc. Some articles said which fruits and vegetables to avoid - but, of course, the information was totally different from one article to another.

Now, foolish me - I said, okay - grapefruit was listed as okay - well WRONG for me! After a few hours - I was gassy, with cramps and had to go to the bathroom numerous times. The only difference was - when I went - it was NOT diarrhea but regular - just that I had to go so many times and I felt so rotten!

So my question is - regarding fruit and vegetables - what kind are considered reasonably safe? Some articles say don't eat banannas, some say do not eat apples (due to high fructose). Some say do not eat legumes or nuts - others say to do so! So many differing opinions - it all starts to become a blur!

Help please....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

Again, I know this is individualized - because tolerance is different from person to person.

I found an article that said to eat fruit, vegetables, etc. Some articles said which fruits and vegetables to avoid - but, of course, the information was totally different from one article to another.

Now, foolish me - I said, okay - grapefruit was listed as okay - well WRONG for me! After a few hours - I was gassy, with cramps and had to go to the bathroom numerous times. The only difference was - when I went - it was NOT diarrhea but regular - just that I had to go so many times and I felt so rotten!

So my question is - regarding fruit and vegetables - what kind are considered reasonably safe? Some articles say don't eat banannas, some say do not eat apples (due to high fructose). Some say do not eat legumes or nuts - others say to do so! So many differing opinions - it all starts to become a blur!

Help please....

As you said it is a very individual thing,,,

For me I am currently eating sweet potatoes, all types of berries ,coconut oil in my cooking and what meats I can tolerate.

Sounds like a very limited diet but these thing I know I can eat and feel well.

As my gut begins to heal ,I will try to reintroduce different foods but for now I am happy to feel well

FooGirlsMom Rookie

Yes unfortunately it is very individual and there isn't a formula to it. Some can't tolerate citrus due to the acidic nature of the foods. Others are sensitive to the sugar levels of high glycemic fruits and have to stick with the lower index variety. Others can't eat fruit at all.

Hope you find what is right for you.

FooGirlsMom

catarific Contributor

It is so frustrating playing detective all the time :angry: There are so many variables - not only which food - but which combinations. I tried keeping a food diary of what foods I have problems with - but I have noticed that if I eat the offending food minus another food - then it is not that food but the combination of digesting two foods. It is so frustrating not knowing from day to day or hour to hour what foods you can eat :(

cahill Collaborator

It is so frustrating playing detective all the time :angry: There are so many variables - not only which food - but which combinations. I tried keeping a food diary of what foods I have problems with - but I have noticed that if I eat the offending food minus another food - then it is not that food but the combination of digesting two foods. It is so frustrating not knowing from day to day or hour to hour what foods you can eat :(

would this be why sometimes i can eat rice and sometimes i can't???

catarific Contributor

would this be why sometimes i can eat rice and sometimes i can't???

I think so. On one of the diets I read about food combining - it said to never eat a protein with a starch. For example, if you had rice with meat or egg - you might end up with a problem. But, if you ate the rice alone - or with vegetables rather than meat - you might not get a bad reaction - why not try and see?

cahill Collaborator

I think so. On one of the diets I read about food combining - it said to never eat a protein with a starch. For example, if you had rice with meat or egg - you might end up with a problem. But, if you ate the rice alone - or with vegetables rather than meat - you might not get a bad reaction - why not try and see?

thanks I will try it,,,I have been eating a protein with the starch ( something that was recommended to me because my blood sugar runs low) so that may be what is going on when it is bothersome..

I feel like I have no idea how to feed my body, every thing i have ever been told before learning about celiacs was just WRONG <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

a lot of people dismiss the whole food combining ideas, including doctors i truly admire... however, i have found that the food combining rules apply to me 1/2 or most of the time. i believe in it to an extent for sure... if i have fruit- i eat it by itself or way before a meal. supposedly if you eat fruit after a meal it can sit in your stomach and sour... fruit is meant to pass thru the stomach quickly- except for bananas. i also feel much better if i do NOT eat a starch with my protein- but only nonstarchy vegtables.

and then of course- we are all complex individuals and have to trial and error ourselves... i for example cannot tolerate excess fructose- so i avoid pears, dates and apples like the plague- while you may be completely ok and happy on those fruits! i also cannot eat a banana by itself or i will likely end up vomiting... no lie, i know its strange- so i always eat it with something and im fine.

hope u figure out your own personal guidelines- as we are all so different... hope u can eat lots of things :)

Archived