This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Kind Of Gluten Free Dog Food Do You Use?

Rachel W

Rachel W Apprentice

I've decided to gut my dogs gluten too !! lol.. Hard as i try he still sneaks in kisses on my face, talk about the kiss of death !!! So i'm gonna put him on a wheat free dog food, just wondering what brand those of you that have cut out gluten from your pets food use? I have a picky eater and a big boy so if it is possible a little on the cheaper side ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

There are LOTS of grain free foods out there, which are healthier for the dog, and a few gluten but not grain free foods.

You may have to play around a bit and find out which ones work for you (my dog is also sensitive to much dairy, so a few of these we don't use). Some of the ones that we have used:

Innova EVO in various flavors (has dairy)

*Instinct Duck & Turkey or Rabbit (they also make gluten free treats)

*Orijen in various flavors (too high protein for my dog to be fed just that)

Taste of the Wild in various flavors

Wellness Core in various flavors

*Acana in various flavors

Before Grain in various flavors (some have dairy)

Casnidae grain free Salmon

*Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet in varios flavors (they also make gluten free treats)

The website www.dogfoodanalysis.com can tell you a bit more about the varoius dog foods, including whether or not they include grains and/or gluten grains.

(* these are the ones he eats regularly - we rotate through his foods with most meals)

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

I'm thinking about doing this as well and I have a multiple pet home so I'm not sure if I can really afford it. I plan to start with the cats. One of mine is very over weight and I'm hoping maybe it will help his weight. I was suggested Wellness Core by a friend.

StephHappens Rookie

That is so funny, I just did this 3 days ago! I told my husband and daughter to wait in the car while I picked up gluten free food for our 12 year old Shepard-mix. He just itches and scratches like crazy. I thought I'd be quick, but it took about 30 minutes to read labels and compare prices. Very overwhelming! I finally bought Nature's Balance Limited Ingredient Diet with Venison and Sweet Potato. At first I had picked out a different brand, but I feed my dog a scoop of dry food mixed with a little bit of warm water to soften it up. Then, I add two scoops of wet food to add a little flavor. With the other brand, the dry was gluten free, but the wet wasn't. I put it all back and grabbed the Nature's Balance Limited Ingredient Diet with Venison and Sweet Potato which is grain free in dry AND wet. I only have one dog, so we can afford it, but if we had more than one dog, it would be pretty expensive!

He ate it right up!

Good luck!

tarnalberry Community Regular

One thing to keep in mind is that dogs may eat less on a grain free diet, because there is less "filler" in their food. It can still be more expensive, but canned food is even more (by a lot!). (BTW, a cheap way to make dry more interesting for dogs is to either add the water/broth from a can of tuna, the broth leftover on a plate from grilled meats, or even just cracking a raw egg over it.

Roda Rising Star

We use Taste of the wild High Prarie Canine Formula and he does great on it. My german shephard didn't tolerate the wetlands formula at all.

Bella001 Explorer

I've decided to gut my dogs gluten too !! lol.. Hard as i try he still sneaks in kisses on my face, talk about the kiss of death !!! So i'm gonna put him on a wheat free dog food, just wondering what brand those of you that have cut out gluten from your pets food use? I have a picky eater and a big boy so if it is possible a little on the cheaper side ;)

I switched to gluten free dog food for my three babies last month. They are on Nature's Choice, which is new. We bought it at Petsmart. It's the salmon and sweet potato one. Funny thing is my one dog has had skin issues and licks his legs all the time. Since going gluten free, his skin has totally cleared up and the licking has stopped....gluten is the devil!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cap6 Enthusiast

We have five dogs and started on Natural Balance in June. All five have improved. Coats are better, potty time is better, no flaky skin. All are old girls with no much of an appetite until now!. I also boil a huge pot of chicken thighs & give them a little fresh chicken & fresh broth with the kibble. Too much sodium in the canned stuff. It's a gluten-free home for everyone around here!

Cypressmyst Explorer

I've fed my German Shepherd raw grassfed/free range since he was 8 weeks (Now 2 years). It isn't cheap though. :lol: But I do buy in bulk and that helps significantly. Put the cats on the diet and no more shedding and hairballs. :) No one likes gluten, it ain't fit for man nor beast! :P

My dog ate healthier and better than I did for a while and it was my realization that I wouldn't feed him the peanut butter I was eating (There was sugar in it) that started me on the path of analyzing my food and figuring out what gluten had been doing to me.

In a very real way my dog saved my life. B)

Cinnamongirl Rookie

I've fed my German Shepherd raw grassfed/free range since he was 8 weeks (Now 2 years). It isn't cheap though. :lol: But I do buy in bulk and that helps significantly. Put the cats on the diet and no more shedding and hairballs. :) No one likes gluten, it ain't fit for man nor beast! :P

My dog ate healthier and better than I did for a while and it was my realization that I wouldn't feed him the peanut butter I was eating (There was sugar in it) that started me on the path of analyzing my food and figuring out what gluten had been doing to me.

In a very real way my dog saved my life. B)

I made gluten free dog treats yesterday for my dog. She loves them. I used 2 c cooked chicken, 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce, 1/2 banana and spinach. Pureed it in a food processor and then ran them through my dehydrator for 4 hours.

A friend of mine makes all of her dog food, but I haven't gone down that road!

possiblyglutensensitive Explorer

Interesting topic!

My dog had been eating Orijen for a couple of years and is now on raw and home cooked.

Sometimes of course she gets treats like cheese or hot dog weiner pieces but for the hot dog I will only buy gluten free ones since starting the gluten-free diet myself.

My kittie is on Acana (same company as Orijen) dry and Wellness canned. The reason for the canned is that for cats it is important for them to have enough moisture. I'd like to switch him to raw but cats are not easy to switch. he has already a lot of tartar on his teeth. :(

My dog is 5 and has amazing teeth! She also had a persistent skin problem for years that resolved after I switched her to raw and howe cooked. It's amazing.

Please educated yourself on raw and home cooked before switching because it can be dangerous if the diet is not well balanced or it you give the wrong types of bone. All bone must be raw and meaty. I give no hard weight bearing bones like pork hock or beef leg (some people can if they are real meaty but my dog will try to break them and has broken teeth). All her bone source is from raw chicken, meat on.

Archived