Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Did You Have Weird Symptoms When You Went Gluten Free?

• Please log in to reply

9 replies to this topic

#1 CathyG

CathyG

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

So, I'm soooooo new to this whole gluten free world (I keep forgetting to check the chopping board for bread crumbs and the tea towel for example). Anyway, I've been feeling really vague, VERY tired, lots of dizziness etc. I have been diagnosed with chronic fatigue as well, but I've noticed that these symptoms have become 10 times worse since starting this diet. I'm wondering if it's just a coincidence that everything is getting so much worse of if my body is adjusting to the new diet.

Did anyone else have trouble adjusting to the new diet or did you feel better pretty quickly after starting?

Thanks
Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

Most of our posters have reported going through a period of withdrawal from gluten, and they seem to react in their own unique way. Some get migraine headaches, some get very fatigued and lethargic, some crave gluten so badly they can hardly stand it. Gluten is like an opioid to the body and, just like cigarettes, when that opioid is withdrawn you are most likely going to feel bad for a while, You just have to ride it out and realize that this, too, shall pass, and you will enter a whole new field once you have walked through all the cow patties in this one :lol: - there may even be some edible mushrooms there :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Noche22

Noche22

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

Yes, I am feeling alot worse too. I am only gluten free for a week now, as newly diagnosed a week ago today for Celiac. I quit cold turkey and my body is freaking out. I get gushes of dizziness too. It is unsettling to have our lives one way one day and the next day it is completely different. A major adjustment. We will make it through this.

#4 tea_and_crumpets

tea_and_crumpets

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

I definitely had a period of gluten withdrawal -- at one point I was so exhausted I couldn't sleep. It was wretched! But luckily, at least for me, it passed fairly quickly. I hope it passes just as quickly for you.

#5 CathyG

CathyG

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

Yes, I am feeling alot worse too. I am only gluten free for a week now, as newly diagnosed a week ago today for Celiac. I quit cold turkey and my body is freaking out. I get gushes of dizziness too. It is unsettling to have our lives one way one day and the next day it is completely different. A major adjustment. We will make it through this.

Oh thank you so much for your replies, I thought I was going mad!!!

I too am extremely dizzy and can't function properly. I'm struggling to hold a conversation at the moment and these symptoms have only happened since going gluten free. My doctor told me that the dizziness wasn't related to the gluten free diet, but I found it a coincidence that it happened only a couple of days after giving up gluten and lactose.

Thanks again for all the replies :)

#6 LivesIntheSun

LivesIntheSun

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:56 AM

I felt terrible for about a week- I was shakey, dizzy, very very irritable, and I had to bed at 7pm for a few nights. I remember fighting with myself not to be as rude to people as I felt like being, and I remember standing up and falling back down again, and my workmates buying me energy drinks because they were worried about me. The tiredness and dizziness went away quicky and I felt much better than before, but the irritablility took a while ;)

#7 FooGirlsMom

FooGirlsMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:04 AM

Yes, gluten withdrawal is real. Many people who go on low carb diets, for example, experience the same thing. I didn't know what it was 15 years ago when I first experienced it because I didn't know it was gluten. Low carbers call it "carb withdrawal".

My symptoms always are: headaches, weakness, periods of brain fog, fatigue, flu-like feelings, occasional dizziness, sadness/melancholy to name a few. The same thing happened when I went gluten-free.

Hope you feel better soon.
FooGirlsMom
When I saw this photo, I thought it truly represented my life prior to being gluten-free. It was like being rooted in place trying to survive a Category 5. Now that I am gluten-free, I feel like I just might make it :)

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:54 AM

In addition to the withdrawl you need to get your own dedicated cutting board. You also should get a new colander, replace scratched non-stick pans and avoid baking with wheat flour for others.
It can take some time to heal. Hang in there and I hope you are feeling better soon.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#9 healinginprogress

healinginprogress

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:04 PM

Sigh, I hate that any of us are going through this withdrawal, but honestly am comforted that I am not the only one. I almost went off the deep end last week, super irritable, brain fog, crappy memory, my depression, anxiety, and insomnia are worse and my skin is more sensitive than before. I'm into week two and still not feeling great...really tired, mood swings, etc. It really is frustrating, especially the depression, I might have to go see my doctor about my meds...but I'm trying to believe that, as everyone seems to say...this too shall pass. I'm excited for the possibility of my mental health issues actually subsiding from going gluten-free, as well, of course, all the gastrointestinal issues. It's just too bad we can't take a vacation from life until all our symptoms improve :P

#10 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

I just want to add that when a person removes carbs suddenly from a diet, this lowers one's sugar levels. When sugar levels drop suddenly, symptoms of hypoglycemia crop up--like dizziness, brain fog, fatigue. I believe that this is probably the main reason why people who jump into a gluten-free diet have these types of issues at the beginning. Now, I'm not telling you to eat sugar, but you might wish to add some extra fruits into your diet until your body adjusts to fewer carbs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: