3 replies to this topic

#1 Mrsjames

Mrsjames

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:25 PM

I'm new to this forum and so happy to have found it! I recently discovered that my son and I are gluten intolerant. My son was properly diagnosed with a couple of blood tests but the doctor wanted total confirmation, by putting him back on a diet with gluten for 6 months and then conducting an intestinal biopsy.

My husband and I opted to forego the 6 months of torture to our little guy and just went ahead and began a gluten free diet for him. At the same time to support his new dietary restrictions, I too went gluten free and found that after years of suffering various skin rashes and phantom inflamation flares from swollen knees, wrists and feet, to year long bouts with Iritis, that I too felt much better.

We have been living gluten free for a year of so now and my son and I are finally feeling healthy.

Recently, I did a paper maché project with my daughter and got one of my rashes which I suspect is due to exposure to the flour and water paste - has anyone else experienced a reaction to gluten from topical exposure?
I was under the impression that one had to eat gluten to have a reaction, but now I'm suspicious.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:57 PM

You likely inhaled flour particles from the air. Flour stays airborne for quite some time and even the tiniest amount is enough to flare the antibody reaction.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 julandjo

julandjo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

I react to topical gluten! I was at the salon last summer and had a cut and style. On the way home I started itching and burning, and discovered an angry red rash, but only on my left arm and left calf. It made no sense... until I realized that my left arm and left calf were exposed when my stylist was spraying hairspray on me. I liked the hairspray so much that I had bought a can of it when I paid. I whipped that can out and read the ingredients and whaddya know? Wheat starch was like the fourth ingredient! So yeah, it's totally possible. (And the salon let me return the hairspray for a full refund. :P )
Dx'd with Celiac June 2010 via positive biopsy. I got tested because both of my kids (3 and 5 years old) have multiple food intolerances, with gluten being the worst offender.

Free of: grains, dairy, soy, legumes, nightshades, nuts, fish, eggs, pork, citrus and tropical fruits (latex allergy), stone fruits, melons, squash, strawberries, flax, cruciferous veggies and celery.

Yes, I'm HUNGRY.

#4 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:52 PM

. . . and on another note . . . in case anyone looks at this thread wondering what to do for paper mache projects . . .

Here is a link to a recipe that uses corn starch, water, and glue (elmer's):

http://home.earthlin...tekvov/id2.html

We did a paper mache school project, and all we used was one part water to one part elmer's and it worked fine . . . so well, that we can't seem to throw it out as my son is quite attached to it.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: