16 replies to this topic

#16 Emma-Lee

Emma-Lee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:17 PM

I understand what you are going through. I found out 3 days ago, and I question it too. However, I have changed my diet. I am tired of being bloated. It was not as hard as I thought to shop gluten-free. I went today and my fridge is full of choices. The food tastes good and seems healthier in general. I will miss certain foods, but what I learned today is I don't have to give them up entirely.

For example: I was almost in tears about pizza....well I was able to find a gluten-free frozen pizza. And I can make gluten free dough with special flour. Seems like though it takes time, you will be able to enjoy the flavors in a new way.

I wish you the best. Feel free to lean on me for new support as I am learning too. I am very glad to have the support of my husband and encourage you to educate those around you so that they can support you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 WhenDee

WhenDee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

I will be hoping for you that you find what I have found: such a huge relief from symptoms that it outweighs your sadness.

Look this one up for sure, but I *think* I read that if you follow a gluten-free diet, all cancer odds drop to normal or close to normal.

I have found that going gluten-free has forced me to confront the unhealthiness of my overall diet, how I'm feeding my kids, and how/what I cook. I'm having to learn to cook finally! No more leaning on, "well, I'm really good at baking". Almost everything I get that's gluten free has to be shipped to me from the USA (we live in the middle east) so I've found it easier to just go bread-free for the most part.

Every meal out, every trip to the grocery store, I'm tortured by the amazing Arabic breads and phenomenally good sweets. I never knew baklava could be so good. But when I think of how I felt before, like I was a hypochondriac or something with all the weird things wrong with me, the never-ending bathroom problems, and how I've COMPLETELY regained my health - those things just don't look as good to me.

It has been like breaking up with an abusive boyfriend. I loved bread, but it did not love me back. I hope for you to find your "silver lining", too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: