This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Cake Doctor Bakes Gluten Free

Dixiebell

Dixiebell Contributor

This is exciting. :D She is on my local news this morning. They will be taste testing gluten-free cakes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

This is exciting. :D She is on my local news this morning. They will be taste testing gluten-free cakes.

I have her book on my wish list...just need to find something else to order to get free shipping (not usually a problem for me). :P

Herself59 Newbie

Ann Byrn was on a local radio talk show here this week and she convinced a non-Celiac host that gluten-free can be tasty. I need to find a couple more books to order thru Edward Hamilton to justify the shipping costs. Are there other gluten-free cookbooks any of you can recommend?

Holly

Dixiebell Contributor

One of my neighbors gave me that book to give to my daughter.

She had made a gluten-free and a regular strawberry cake and the host liked the gluten-free better.

• 3 weeks later...
Herself59 Newbie

I received my copy of this book this week and the recipes all look so good and easy to make. One note, this is a dessert cookbook and all recipes start with a gluten-free boxed cake mix, usually yellow. The only items from scratch are the icings, glazes and fillers.

Holly

love2travel Mentor

I received my copy of this book this week and the recipes all look so good and easy to make. One note, this is a dessert cookbook and all recipes start with a gluten-free boxed cake mix, usually yellow. The only items from scratch are the icings, glazes and fillers.

Holly

Glad you mentioned that - boxed cake mixes are such a turn off for me - definitely will not be getting this book! Love to bake/cook from scratch.

The Culinary Institute of America's gluten-free baking book is good - it includes recipe for cannoli, yeast/other breads, eclairs, bagels and so on. One of my favourites! Also like Annalise Roberts' book.

aeraen Apprentice

Glad you mentioned that - boxed cake mixes are such a turn off for me - definitely will not be getting this book! Love to bake/cook from scratch.

The Culinary Institute of America's gluten-free baking book is good - it includes recipe for cannoli, yeast/other breads, eclairs, bagels and so on. One of my favourites! Also like Annalise Roberts' book.

Thank you for the recommendation. I just ordered it from my library. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Thank you for the recommendation. I just ordered it from my library. :)

Awesome! I hope you enjoy it. It contains so many recipes I have not seen elsewhere before and is written by a chef who really knows food science and what he is doing. :)

Herself59 Newbie

Glad to be of help. I mostly quit baking from scratch about 25 years ago, probably because somewhere deep down I realized everything was having an adverse effect on me, and switched to mixes for what little I did bake. These days for purposes other than baking I am learning to use the substitutes for wheat flour. Some of the sauces look a little strange without the opacity but their flavor has been declared delicious by my husband, so we have basically become a totally gluten-free household. The one thing I do want to find is a good bread recipe. I never was a big bread eater but I use it for hot browns, meatloaf and stuffing so it cannot be sweet. The other thing I would like a tried and true recipe for is angel food cake.

Holly

mbrookes Community Regular

I have the Culinary Institute book, but never use it. Many of the recipes are very complex and call for ingredients that I can't find.

I love the Cake Doctor book. I'm going to make the carrot cake today.

Another book I like is Carol Fenster's 100 Best Gluten Free Recipes.

ciavyn Contributor

OH!! Angel food cake...I had the worst craving for it yesterday! Is there such a thing as a GOOD gluten-free angel food cake?

sa1937 Community Regular

I have not yet tried making gluten-free angel food cake. Roben Ryberg has a recipe for angel food cake in The Gluten-Free Kitchen and Open Original Shared Link has a few recipes. Plus I saw this one on Taste of Home (it had great reviews):

Gluten-Free Angel Food Cake Recipe

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 cups egg whites (about 10)
  • 3/4 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup white rice flour
  • 1/4 cup tapioca flour
  • 1/4 cup potato starch
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Assorted fresh fruit, optional

Directions

Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sift 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, flours and potato starch together twice; set aside.

Add cream of tartar, salt and vanilla to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.

Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350

ciavyn Contributor

Holy smokes...I wonder if this works? I might have to try this in the very near future. Thank you so much!!

sa1937 Community Regular

Holy smokes...I wonder if this works? I might have to try this in the very near future. Thank you so much!!

You're welcome...you'll have to let us know when you make it. Now I'm hungry for angel food cake!!!

Herself59 Newbie

Sylvia, this looks like a wonderful recipe and I cannot wait to try it. The only other one I had found called for brown rice flour and I find that rather gritty, or at least what our local co-op carries in bulk is.

I also had no idea Taste of Home was now providing gluten-free recipes. I used to enjoy their magazine and still use a number of recipes from it, my favorite being green pepper steak which I converted from slow cooker to stove top. And it has always been gluten-free, even before I realized I needed that, as it is thickened with corn starch and I serve it over rice.

Holly

sa1937 Community Regular

Sylvia, this looks like a wonderful recipe and I cannot wait to try it. The only other one I had found called for brown rice flour and I find that rather gritty, or at least what our local co-op carries in bulk is.

I also had no idea Taste of Home was now providing gluten-free recipes. I used to enjoy their magazine and still use a number of recipes from it, my favorite being green pepper steak which I converted from slow cooker to stove top. And it has always been gluten-free, even before I realized I needed that, as it is thickened with corn starch and I serve it over rice.

Holly

Hope it works for you. I love angel food cake. I've read that you can give brown rice flour a whirl in a blender to make it finer. I did some in a new larger capacity coffee mill I bought (not used for coffee). I know Authentic Foods makes a superfine brown rice flour but I haven't seen it around here.

Taste of Home has some gluten-free recipes on their website. The angel food cake was a subscriber-only recipe or else I'd have just posted a link. I do get the magazine. I keep debating whether I'll keep it or not...and then I renew. lol

• 2 weeks later...
sa1937 Community Regular

I finally ordered this cookbook! Has anyone tried some of the other recipes in it?

zus888 Contributor

The only thing I've tried was the strawberry cake recipe, but made cupcakes instead. They are wonderful!! Even after freezing and thawing, they are still great! They are BEST out of the oven, but they retain their moisture well. I can't wait to try more of her recipes!!

I bought this book and the Annalise Roberts book, so I think I'm set for baking books. I've decided that I'm just going to use the flour mixes and pretend that they are just the all purpose flour equivalent, instead of trying to do everything from scratch with a variety of flours myself. There's just no sense in putting that much effort into it. So, from here on out, BC yellow cake mix and probably Pamela's pancake mix are going to be my go-to flours for baking.

sa1937 Community Regular

The only thing I've tried was the strawberry cake recipe, but made cupcakes instead. They are wonderful!! Even after freezing and thawing, they are still great! They are BEST out of the oven, but they retain their moisture well. I can't wait to try more of her recipes!!

I bought this book and the Annalise Roberts book, so I think I'm set for baking books. I've decided that I'm just going to use the flour mixes and pretend that they are just the all purpose flour equivalent, instead of trying to do everything from scratch with a variety of flours myself. There's just no sense in putting that much effort into it. So, from here on out, BC yellow cake mix and probably Pamela's pancake mix are going to be my go-to flours for baking.

I received my Cake Mix Doctor cookbook yesterday...super fast shipping since I only ordered it on the 24th. I also added two more cookbooks to get free shipping and finally used my Amazon gift card that I've sat on since Christmas. (The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread by Bette Hagman and Free for all Cooking: 150 Allergy Friendly Recipes by Jules Shepard). Now I've gotta quit buying cookbooks...well, for awhile at least.

Glad to hear the cupcakes are still good after freezing and thawing! So far everything I've baked tastes better the first day. I think I'd like to try a bundt cake...haven't made one for years and just bought a new bundt pan. Actually I've replaced a lot of baking pans since going gluten-free.

You'll like Annalise Roberts' cookbook. I've tried some breads from it and last weekend I was pleased with the pizza crust I made from it.

Have you tried banana bread using Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix? It's my go to recipe and I've made it often.

Herself59 Newbie

I finally ordered this cookbook! Has anyone tried some of the other recipes in it?

I made the Boston Cream Pie a couple of weeks ago. Since this was my first attempt at this formulation of the recipe the cake was not perfect and cracked on the top. Not a big problem since the top actually ends up on the bottom when the whole thing is assembled. Also I did not use her frosting recipe but the one I have always used, cocoa, powdered sugar, melted margarine and vanilla, thinning with hot water. My family prefers the harder frosting on this cake rather than the soft. All in all it was deemed a success and my mother was most adamant that she take half of the left overs home.

Holly

• 1 month later...
sa1937 Community Regular

I finally made a cake from this cookbook yesterday and I'm pretty pleased with it. It's the Chocolate Chip Cake, which I baked in a bundt pan.

The next one I'm going to try soon is the Darn Good Chocolate Cake, which is also a bundt cake. Has anyone tried it?

clsx2 Newbie

Holly

New to gluten free eating/baking/cooking but the 1st lesson I learned from my local gluten-free grocery was that brown rice flour should be thrown into a magic bullet/ninja/food processor before being used. It makes it not gritty. I have not tried it, just thought I would pass on the info...

sa1937 Community Regular

New to gluten free eating/baking/cooking but the 1st lesson I learned from my local gluten-free grocery was that brown rice flour should be thrown into a magic bullet/ninja/food processor before being used. It makes it not gritty. I have not tried it, just thought I would pass on the info...

I have done that with brown rice flour (actually in a larger-capacity Mr. Coffee mill, which is not used for coffee). I'm not sure how much it helped but I did it anyway. lol :P

sa1937 Community Regular

Just to update: I made the Darn Good Chocolate Cake and it was a hit with my gluten-eating friends. I also baked it in a bundt pan. I used a BC devils food cake mix, cocoa and mini-chocolate chips. Instead of sprinkling confectioner's sugar on top on it, I used a chocolate ganache glaze. Yum!

One change I made in the directions for prepping the pan, I greased it with Crisco and skipped spraying it with nonstick cooking spray and dusting with rice flour or cocoa. It released from the pan perfectly with no splotches of either rice flour or cocoa.

mbrookes Community Regular

I have made three different cakes from that book, and all of them were really good. The carrot cake was my non-Celiac husband's favorite, but the cinnamon breakfast cake was really good , too. I made the rum cake for a party and every crumb was gone. I used an old recipe from a friend for the glaze, and it had a lot more rum!

Archived