#1 India

India

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:46 AM

Dear all,

I will be visiting the US soon (Ohio, West Virginia and Texas) and this will be my first visit since going gluten-free.

I'd be grateful for any advice on easily available/mainstream foods which are reliably gluten-free. I cook from scratch as often as possible and I'll take some kitchenware with me but I can't rely on being able to cook much.

I also can't tolerate corn/soy and I follow a FODMAPs diet, so I can't eat too many foods based on fruit or beans.

Could you please recommend...?
- brands (inc supermarket brands) which reliably label their food as gluten-free
- stores which sell a good range of gluten-free foods
- any suggestions for food I can grab and eat (snacks, candy, microwave dinners - not my favourites, but in case of a hunger emergency!)

Grateful for any suggestions!

India
(Looking forward to those gluten-free Rice Krispies I've heard about...)

Self diagnosed but confirmed by biopsy
Gluten free Jan 2010
MSG free Jan 2010
Corn free Apr 2010
Soy free Jun 2010
Following a FODMAPS plan

Also have RSI, widespread myofascial pain and hypermobility problems

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

I don't know if they are in the places you are going but if a Wegmans is near they label all their gluten free store brand items with a Circle G and I have never had an issue with any of their stuff.
Thai Kitchen noodles are a staple at my house. You can find them in the Oriental foods section in a lot of places. Kraft and Unilever products are well labeled. Finding gluten free stuff is getting much easier as time goes on.
I hope you have a great trip.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

You need to find a Whole Foods Market (grocery chain), or Trader Joe's (grocery chain). You'll find Whole Foods in TX - they are based in Austin.

Eat at more upscale restaurants - they tend to cook with whole food, so they can alter the meals.

Also, therese be celiac support groups in the areas you're visiting, google it. Locals can help alot.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

What part of Ohio? I am in the Greater CLeveland area and can give you a few places to shop at if you are going to be anywhere near here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: