10 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

Just wondering what causes diarrhea on your period. This is non gluten related D. Does anyone else get this and know why it happens?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 divamomma

divamomma

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

Yes I get it and I don't have celiac. No clue why though!Hormones I guess.

Mommy to 2 Divas in Training
~6 yr old daughter positive Celiac blood test December 2010 (at age 4)~
~Positive Biopsy January 10, 2011~
~Gluten Free since January 11, 2011~

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

This is what was explained to me years ago.

http://www.everydayh...our-period.aspx

The exact reasons why diarrhea occurs during your period aren't fully understood, but it is quite common and often tied to menstrual cramps. Believed to be at the root of the cause are prostaglandins, chemicals released during your period that allow the uterus, and thus the intestines, to contract. Prostaglandins can also cause other pain associated with dysmenorrhea, the medical term for painful menstrual periods. Prostaglandin-related cramps and diarrhea usually occur in the first three days of your menstrual period.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:48 PM

Yep, those nasty little prostaglandins used to get me all the time :rolleyes:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:55 PM

Oh Joy! Fun being a woman sometimes... :rolleyes: :angry:

Thanks for the info ladies!

#6 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:16 AM

It seems to me that during my period I am notice lower levels of gluten cc in the form of diarrhea. When I am really cc free I don't have D during my period, and when I have some cc, I do get D during my period. The other symptoms of gluten cc also seem to be magnified during my period. Maybe the hormones magnify the immune reaction somehow.

#7 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:42 AM

ugh god yes, its annoying as heck. But what is worse is C when you have it <_< its just NOT right.

#8 domesticactivist

domesticactivist

Kitchen Liberator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

I always thought it was because there is smooth muscle in both the uterus and intestines so if the uterus is being stimulated to contract and release the lining of the uterus maybe there is some sort of cross-over effect.

That said, since being on GAPS I've noticed this effect isn't nearly as noticeable as it used to be.
Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.
Gluten-Free since November 2010
GAPS Diet since January/February 2011
me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011
partner - not tested for celiac
ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.
dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome
both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

#9 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

yep, same here for me since I was in my mid 20's.

It made for a nice change from chronic C the rest of the time (I would usually only have the D issue once, the morning my period started).

Although, now that I've been gluten-free a year, I've noticed I haven't really had the D during my periods like I used to.

and my C the rest of the time seems to be getting better, to.... maybe things are starting to even themselves out, IDK.

I always thought this was one of those 'just me' issues....I'm kinda glad to know that isn't the case!...
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#10 Staceyshoe

Staceyshoe

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

I had this for years (and I do not have celiac or gluten intolerance). When I went to an acupuncturist for hormonal imbalance, my periods became lighter, more regular, and no more diarrhea. It's been 8 years since my last acupuncture treatment, and the positive effects are still there.
Son (age 4)- severe IgE allergy to peanuts, tree nuts, dairy and mild soy allergy, neg for celiac gene
Son (age 7)- positive for celiac gene, history of digestive problems, IGA deficient, scope on 4/15/11 was negative, failed gluten challenge
My celiac panel was negative
Husband still needs to be tested

#11 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

I actually googled this once. Has to do with hormones. Some people get constipated instead. I used to always get really sick to my stomach at the start of it and have what I called the intestinal dump. Thankfully that seemed to go away at some point. Maybe mid 20's? I can't really remember. I'm 52 now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: