8 replies to this topic

#1 AmyKB

AmyKB

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:40 PM

I am looking for a gluten free turkey this year since I am now gluten-free as of 2 months ago. Someone told me that the inside of the bags that hold the turkeys is lined with wheat gluten? Is that correct, or if I buy one that says Gluten free, then I am safe?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

Someone told me that the inside of the bags that hold the turkeys is lined with wheat gluten?

Whoever told you that is misinformed.

Sometimes there is a sauce or gravy packet with the turkey that contains gluten. But this question comes up every year, and it always seems that there are plenty of safe options for everyone.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

I am looking for a gluten free turkey this year since I am now gluten-free as of 2 months ago. Someone told me that the inside of the bags that hold the turkeys is lined with wheat gluten? Is that correct, or if I buy one that says Gluten free, then I am safe?

VERY incorrect! Most turkey's are gluten free. Butterball and Jenny-O (I think Jenny-O labels gluten-free) are to name a specific company. If there is a gravy packet inside the bird, I would discard that and make your own with the turkey drippings and corn starch to thicken.

And of course, no stuffing, unless it's of the gluten free variety! :) We prefer ours unstuffed. I believe it cooks better.

Make some gluten-free cornbread the week before and freeze it. It makes great stuffing.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

As mentioned, stuffing the bird may not be a great idea, especially if it is overstuffed as the turkey may not cook properly all the way through. Poultry must be cooked to 170 degrees internally - anything over will result in a very dry bird but under is risky, of course. Just make a batch of stuffing/dressing and cook separately, using lots of drippings to keep moist. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:43 AM

My local grocery store (Kroger's) is already selling frozen Turkeys at .59lb. They are Riverside brand. I read the packaging and there's no mention of anything that would have gluten.

#6 alex11602

alex11602

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:41 AM

VERY incorrect! Most turkey's are gluten free. Butterball and Jenny-O (I think Jenny-O labels gluten-free) are to name a specific company. If there is a gravy packet inside the bird, I would discard that and make your own with the turkey drippings and corn starch to thicken.

And of course, no stuffing, unless it's of the gluten free variety! :) We prefer ours unstuffed. I believe it cooks better.

Make some gluten-free cornbread the week before and freeze it. It makes great stuffing.

I just wanted to throw out there that I was just on Butterball's website and they list their Gravy Ingredients: Water, Modified Corn starch, Maltodextrin, Salt, Rice Flour, Cooked Turkey, Onion Powder, Caramel Color, Garlic Powder, Spices.

To me these look gluten free, please tell me if I am wrong because I can not manage to make homemade gravy for anything so it would be nice for my husband.

#7 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

I just wanted to throw out there that I was just on Butterball's website and they list their Gravy Ingredients: Water, Modified Corn starch, Maltodextrin, Salt, Rice Flour, Cooked Turkey, Onion Powder, Caramel Color, Garlic Powder, Spices.

To me these look gluten free, please tell me if I am wrong because I can not manage to make homemade gravy for anything so it would be nice for my husband.

Wow! That's a surprise! Does look gluten-free. I would read every packet, just to be sure. If they have changed the ingredients recently, there could be older ones out there.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

Didn't realize that BB had changed gravy ingredients. The gravy used to have wheat, which always caused confusion because people would think they were reading the turkey ingredients and when they saw wheat, they thought the turkey wasn't gluten-free. In fact, they were reading the gravy ingredients. I'll have to check it out!

richard

#9 calicokitty6

calicokitty6

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

Shady Brook Turkeys say gluten free on the front of the packaging. I tried this brand for the first time and it was quite good.
=^..^= Debbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: