This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Covergirl & Olay Simply Ageless Serum Primer Product

helainea

helainea Newbie

Just curious about whether this product has been tried by anyone who experiences issues with gluten reactions on their face. I have DH, it mainly shows up on my face and scalp. I use gluten free makeup, lotion, shampoos as well as other products. This product is not said to have gluten, and their website states that it is safe for those on a gluten free diet, but I don't want to just take their word for it. Anyone tried it yet??? It takes me weeks to recover from an accidental gluten ingestion, so I don't really want to just try it with out scoping it out. Thanks so much for your time!!!! =)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

I have no answer for you as I haven't been wearing make up at all & I'm a newbie at this whole gluten thing. I was looking at my Suave shampoo which all the sites say is gluten free but I see there is Tocopheryl Acetate in it so now I'm worried because it seems that is gluten. Sooooo....can you tell me what make up, lotion, shampoos & other stuff you use & is okay to use? Please? I keep getting bad DH outbreaks in my scalp & worry gluten will go in the sores. I'm sooo tired of this --- it's mind boggling!

Di2011 Enthusiast

I'm trying to stay from everything for a while because I had so many troubles with the so many (including "gluten-free" but with gums etc) products. The worst one was with:

Total Effects Gentle UV Moisturiser with SPF 15

Open Original Shared Link

" Full Ingredients "

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: 4% OCTYL SALICYLATE, 2% AVOBENZONE, 1% PHENYLBENZIMIDAZOLE SULFONIC ACID, 1% OCTOCRYLENE. ALSO CONTAINS: WATER, NIACINAMIDE , DIMETHICONE , ISOPROPYL ISOSTEARTATE, POLYACRYLAMIDE, TRIETHANOLAMINE, ZINC OXIDE, MAGNESIUM ASCORBYL PHOSPHATE, CAMELLIA OLEIFERA LEAF EXTRACT , STEARYL ALCOHOL, C13-14 ISOPARAFFIN, CETYL ALCOHOL, PTFE, PANTHENOL, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE , TITANIUM DIOXIDE, BEHENYL ALCOHOL, DIMETHICONOL , SUCROSE POLYCOTTONSEEDATE, ETHYLPARABEN, BENZYL ALCOHOL, METHYLPARABEN, CARBOMER, LAURETH-7, PROPYLPARABEN, CETEARYL GLUCOSIDE, CETEARYL ALCOHOL, PEG-100 STEARATE, DISODIUM EDTA, STEARIC ACID, AMMONIUM POLYACRYLATE, OLETH 3-PHOSPHATE, VITAMIN B3, PRO-VITAMIN B5, VITAMIN E.

I could have reacted to any of these crazy chemicals!! I couldn't avoid being out in public at the time (son's martial arts national comp & out of town) but I felt like a leper. My face and neck were peeling for days. Only used it once.

I will never again try products with this kind of ingredients list!!! And especially when I'm out of town & in public!!! :ph34r::lol:

Lesson number 345,979 in this journey.

squirmingitch Veteran

I haven't been able to tolerate anything with ANY kind of sunscreen in years & years. Now they seem to want to put sunscreen in almost all makeup -- even powder.

That's a crazy ingredient list --- they have Tocopheryl Acetate which is vitamin E & then at the bottom they have Vitamin E! Weird.

Wear a wide brim hat --- it doesn't contain gluten! Your body will thank you for it. :lol:

psawyer Proficient

Tocopheryl Acetate is a source of Vitamin E. There are other forms. I would think that the product contains Tocopheryl Acetate and also another form of the vitamin.

All tocopherols and vitamin E are considered gluten-free by the Canadian Celiac Association when they are in food. If they are safe in food, which is intended to be ingested, why would they be a concern in other products?

squirmingitch Veteran

I Googled Tocopheryl Acetate & it said it is Vitamin E, made from wheat & furthermore when used in lotions, creams, etc.... topically it can get absorbed into the skin. I have seen many people posting it shouldn't be used or taken not only on this site but other celiac sites. I had no idea the Canadian Celiac Assoc. considered them gluten free.

Two of us are brand spanking new here. we're just trying to find out what's what & negotiate the waters. It's getting hard to tread water. B)

psawyer Proficient

Hi, squirmingitch,

There is a lot of old information still swirling around from the days before we had Open Original Shared Link testing for gluten content.

It is now known that some things can be derived from wheat without any gliadin being detectable in the finished product. When these are used as ingredients in a food, there is not an issue for most folks with celiac disease.

If food ingredients are wheat derived, then the word "wheat" must appear on the label in Canada and in the United States.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

I use a product that I would higly recommend. Clinique SuperDefense SPF moisturizer which makes my skin feel great without being greasy. Then I apply Lancome Aqua Fusion Teinte which is a moisturizing tint. I have had no issues with it. Other brands I use and stick to are Nivea and Almay.

Takala Enthusiast

I have no answer for you as I haven't been wearing make up at all & I'm a newbie at this whole gluten thing. I was looking at my Suave shampoo which all the sites say is gluten free but I see there is Tocopheryl Acetate in it so now I'm worried because it seems that is gluten. Sooooo....can you tell me what make up, lotion, shampoos & other stuff you use & is okay to use? Please? I keep getting bad DH outbreaks in my scalp & worry gluten will go in the sores. I'm sooo tired of this --- it's mind boggling!

If you are super sensitive to cosmetics with lots of ingredients without being able to tell for sure what all of the bad ones are for your skin, you can "make do" with the following while checking it out. I agree the total amount of different ingredients in many different items is enough to drive one crazy, because the more that's in there, the more likely something is going to set off a reaction. Try to avoid shampoos with oats, too. They stick those oats in everything. It's ridiculous.

Soap: plain Ivory bar soap. And can be used on the hair in a pinch, it won't rinse out as well, but we're talking fear of rash reactions.

Shampoo. Those Dr Bronner's castile soaps also don't have too many ingredients.

Basic hair rinse: pure, plain apple cider vinegar diluted with 7 parts water. Either mix this up in a big plastic cup and pour it on as a final rinse, or put some in a spray bottle with water and spritz on after shampooing. Fixes pH of hair back to normal afte using soap, which is a base, detangles, leaves shine, and CHEAP.

Basic hair conditioner: coconut oil. Put a tiny pea sized dab of coconut oil in your palm to warm it up, rub it on your hands, and then work it into your hair after the vinegar rinse. Coconut oil can also be used on arms/legs as a moisturizer after a shower. Dip some out of the jar with a spoon, then put it in your hand.

Shea butter: can also be used for the same thing, in the same way. While a jar of pure shea butter costs $, it lasts a very long time, because you are just scraping out a tiny amount out of the jar with the back of your fingernail each time.

Emergency deodorant: Sprinkle some baking soda onto a slightly damp skin, spread w/ fingertips, let dry. Don't shave right before you do this, or it will sting a little. But it works surprising well. It is said that milk of magnesia can be used for the same purpose, but the gluten free status may not be guaranteed.

I had the mother of all skin reactions to a multi- ingredient, "natural" herbal deodorant this summer, after several wearings. I hadn't seen anything like this since poison oak, and I can't tell from the label what the culprit is. Apparently the residue also got stuck on my clothing, because once in a while I'll wear a shirt that hasn't been washed in a while ( because I keep a long sleeved shirt in my truck, and the car, for example, to prevent sunburn when hiking/kayaking, to wear over a tank top ) and will feel the itch starting up again. It's definitely a topical reaction, because I can stop it by washing it off. Just when I think I've hunted down and washed everything I had on that week, I find another one, because we wear sweatshirts year round here where the evenings get cold. ggggrrrrrrrrrrr. I was successfully using another brand which was bought out by a different company, and now changes their formulations constantly (I mean really, what is wrong with them?) and it doesn't work well. May the person who decided consistency does not matter be cursed with many hot flashes in a hot climate. B)

makeup: try googling "gluten free (name of thing you want to use, such as face powder)" and see what comes up. I have used Ecco Bella lipstick and this other one called Hemp Naturals. For eyeliner I've used mineral eyeliners which you moisten a little brush and then dip it into a powder, there's Larimar and Bare Minerals.

squirmingitch Veteran

Takala, Thank you!!!!! But I have to LOL at one of the suggestions --- castile soap --- who in the world but me would be allergic to castile soap? Since I was 7 or 8. It didn't make me break out but I would sneeze my fool head off. I haven't used it since.

I do use Monkey Boy Products Jumping Jojoba sudsy scrub which is intended to be a face wash but I use it for my whole body. Since I began using it about 4 years ago my skin has done soooo much better --- that is with the exception of this DH which jumped on me like white on rice this year. It has very few ingredients in it & makes your skin feel like a babies & you can get several scents in it or she will make it without scent. It only takes a quarter size amt. & I put it on an exfoliating cloth & end up clean & smelling wonderful & have no need for perfume which can irritate.

She also makes goat's milk lotion from her own goats & can scent it many ways or not at all.

I have made her aware of the whole celiac/gluten issue & she is on board with making sure her products don't contain wheat or wheat derived E & so on & so forth. She had been using hydrolyzed wheat protein in her conditioner but is going to take that ingredient out. So I will have a safe hair conditioner to use.

I think Teresa is still working on a shampoo formula & that's why I had not been using shampoo from her.

So I'm good in all those departments but she doesn't make make up. DRAT! And that's why I was asking about make up. Thanks for the tip on the eyeliner & lip stick. I will google the other things like face powder.

Yes, this whole journey is so daunting, frustrating & at times downright depressing. I am (I think -- can one EVER be sure?) eating gluten free now for a solid week (maybe more if there was nothing accidental)& have embarked on iodine free 2 days ago to try & get this DH to settle down some. It's hard to find things to eat.

Hopeful1950 Apprentice

Yes, stay away from things with the oat stuff. I had a dermatologist tell me to soak in Aveeno....WHAT A DISASTER!

I have also discovered that things with tea tree oil (or extract) bugs my skin if I have active DH. Actually most "natural" products with flower and herb extracts aggravate my DH. The neomycin in Neosporin aggravates. Pramoxine in skin lotions designed to relieve itching causes problems.

I have problems with sunscreens also, so use CeraVe lotion on my face and then Bare Minerals over it. I have to stay out of the sun anyway because it aggravates any existing DH.

Hair products are notorious. Stay away from the ones that claim to cause shine...they often have "hydrolized wheat protein" in them. I also got contaminated from my dog's shampoo. I gave her a bath without reading the label and the DH on my arms went crazy! It had oat ingredients.

I have used all the items mentioned in a previous post and they work very well. I use safflower oil after showering on my skin while still wet then pat dry.

I always check everything again when I run out of something and buy a new supply. These companies are constantly changing the ingredients to try to appear "new and improved" so you can get burned.

If you search these forums, someone posted a great list of no-no ingredients in cosmetics.

helainea Newbie

Squirmingitch, I have had the best experience with Afterglow makeup. They have a website and do sell some things in some stores, but I always order online because they are not in stores close-by to me. They are a little pricey compared to most makeups but they last longer, so it really evens out in the end. The lady who created the make up line did so for her mother who has a gluten allergy along with a bunch of other allergies. It is the only stuff that covers the terrible scars from the DH that I still am getting here and there. The DH is nothing compared to what it was a couple of years ago, I have been gluten-free for almost 2 years now. I feel that I am still learning things daily, there is so much to learn!!!! The staples of my makeup collection from Afterglow cosmetics is Organic Aloe Concealer and the Mineral Makeup. I also just discovered a new moisturizer from Good For You Girls, a brand I just came across on a vitamin website. I really like it. And also Desert Essence products are AMAZING! =)

Archived