Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

How Many Courses Of Antibiotics Have You Taken In Your Life?

How many courses of antibiotics have you taken in your life?   15 members have voted

1. 1. Number of courses

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 posts in this topic

How many courses of antibiotics have you taken in your life?

My theory is that a lot of Celiacs have had several, possibly higher than the average population.

Ads by Google:

How many courses of antibiotics have you taken in your life?

My theory is that a lot of Celiacs have had several, possibly higher than the average population.

I've been wondering about this, too. As far as I know I have had three courses in my life - the most recent a few months ago when I had a severe GI infection. It helped immensely. My doctor was reluctant to place me on antibiotics as I have celiac so made sure I doubled up on my probiotics before, during and after. Good doctor!

I'm not absolutely certain of the number, but it's at least 20-30, perhaps 30+.

I've often wondered the same thing. It will be interesting to see what the results are. I'm hoping a lot of people respond to your question.

I'd say even 100+ for me - I hate the thought of it really. But seriously - I had 10 weeks of two different anitbiotics after my last baby so what is that?? 20 courses!! (I had another course in there at the beginning - but surprise, surprise I developed a resistance to it :( I get infections after any kind of op/procedure/childbirth and before going gluten free I averaged about 4 chest infections and 2 middle ear infections a year. Not to mention the infections after each childbirth, ugh!

Having said that - I haven't had any middle ear infections since going gluten free, nor chest infections.

I take an immunosupressant drug, so get lots of infections, so lots of antibiotics. And every time I take an antibiotic I get a UTI so there's another antibiotic. I also have a condition that predisposes me to cellulitis in my legs - lots more antibiotics, including IV, and then more UTI antibiotics. And I don't even believe in taking antibiotics, but if I didn't I would die :unsure: I have bad reactions to most antibiotics now - there are very few I can take - flucoxacillin, Cipro......

I would have to say likely 100+ also. I grew up in the era of 'got the sniffles get an antibiotic'. I did get sick alot though. It seemed anything that was going around I would get it. Chronic brochitis every winter and every flu or tummy bug would get me. Oddly enough since diagnosis I haven't even had a sniffle now in years.

Very few for me, but my youngest daughter lived on antibiotics for chronic ear infections till she was 6 years old. She was even on prophylactic Ceclor (one dose a day) for the better part of a year to try and stave off the one-after-another ear infections. She had two sets of "tubes" and nothing helped!

The antibiotic use affected her teeth. Her second molars crumbled when the orthodontist took her braces off and they let her wisdom teeth come in to act as her second molars. And she, of my 3 diagnosed daughters, had the worst time w/ celiac. She was ultra sensitive to EVERYTHING and was tested for things like interstitial cystitis and refractory celiac. She's just recently been able to bring a few more foods into her diet.

I picked 20-30. I had lots of ear infections when I was little, up to the age of about 15. I don't think I've taken antibiotics once since high school. I've been taking probiotics for at least 4 years though. I think it helps a lot since I rarely get colds.

Hundreds. I was a very sickly kid with bronchitis at least twice a year up until I was in my 30's. I have had pneumonia several times, plus the assorted ear infections, sinus infections, abcessed teeth, and let's not forget the month and a half they had me on antibiotics for this mysterious pain in my jawbone.

I really don't know how many. I know I used to get ear infections and strep a lot as a kid and even had scarlatina(scarlet fever) two or three times also. As an adult I've not had as many maybe 10 or so. I had a bout last year where I was having to take diflucan frequently.

My 10 year old only had one antibiotic till age 2.5. He started daycare at that time and he got everthing known to man and the antibiotics to go with it. Constant strep infections and finally got tonsils out at 4. Then tons of antiboitics after that for bad sinus infections till age 6 when we identified he had allergies. He has done better since.

My 6 year old had so many as a baby and even had yeast overgrowth in his bowel, thrush, and skin yeast infections from them. It got to be so many we even would have blood work done to make sure he even needed the antibiotics and he did. I put him on probiotics as a baby.

Probiotics have helped both my boys. My oldest would get severe diarrhea within 24 hours of any penicillin antibiotic. He often would get worse because the pedi told me he wasn't absorbing the meds. Since probiotics he may get slight isssues toward the end of the meds, but that's it.

I had to go 30+. I hate antibiotics but I was such a sick kid. Constant strep,ear, and kidney infections. Even as an adult I get strep at least 5 times a year. I now have only a handful of antibiotics I can take that still work and don't make me violently ill. Luckily my new doctor is on board with avoiding them as much as possible. He suggests I mix honey and apple cider vinegar and drink a spoonful each morning as in his experience it can help ward off strep. He's also given me a few herbs to take to help my immune system.

In the 4 years before my diagnosis I had quite a few hard to treat infections. I used to have at least 3 cases of cystitis a year and at least 1 case of pharyngitis. The pharyngitis sometimes became a bronchitis and required a lot of antibiotics to cure. *Knocks on wood* I've been infection-free for almost a year now :)