arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Many Courses Of Antibiotics Have You Taken In Your Life?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: How many courses of antibiotics have you taken in your life? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Number of courses

1. 0 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 1-5 (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. 5-10 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 10-20 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 20-30 (4 votes [26.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

6. 30+ (8 votes [53.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 deezer

deezer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

How many courses of antibiotics have you taken in your life?

My theory is that a lot of Celiacs have had several, possibly higher than the average population.
For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

How many courses of antibiotics have you taken in your life?

My theory is that a lot of Celiacs have had several, possibly higher than the average population.

I've been wondering about this, too. As far as I know I have had three courses in my life - the most recent a few months ago when I had a severe GI infection. It helped immensely. My doctor was reluctant to place me on antibiotics as I have celiac so made sure I doubled up on my probiotics before, during and after. Good doctor!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 missmellie

missmellie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

I'm not absolutely certain of the number, but it's at least 20-30, perhaps 30+.

I've often wondered the same thing. It will be interesting to see what the results are. I'm hoping a lot of people respond to your question.

Miss Mellie

Aug. 2010 IgA+ Gliadin; IgA+ Casein; IgA+ Egg; IgA+ Soy.
Sept. 2010 IgG+ for cow's milk, peach, yeast, chili pepper, egg white & yolk, lentil, soy, cola nut, coriander/cumin/dill, nutmeg/peppercorn, sesame seed, turkey, and wheat

Hypothyroidism, arthritis, GERD, overweight, chronic sleeping issues

#4 beebs

beebs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

I'd say even 100+ for me - I hate the thought of it really. But seriously - I had 10 weeks of two different anitbiotics after my last baby so what is that?? 20 courses!! (I had another course in there at the beginning - but surprise, surprise I developed a resistance to it :( I get infections after any kind of op/procedure/childbirth and before going gluten free I averaged about 4 chest infections and 2 middle ear infections a year. Not to mention the infections after each childbirth, ugh!

Having said that - I haven't had any middle ear infections since going gluten free, nor chest infections.
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:15 AM

I take an immunosupressant drug, so get lots of infections, so lots of antibiotics. And every time I take an antibiotic I get a UTI so there's another antibiotic. I also have a condition that predisposes me to cellulitis in my legs - lots more antibiotics, including IV, and then more UTI antibiotics. And I don't even believe in taking antibiotics, but if I didn't I would die :unsure: I have bad reactions to most antibiotics now - there are very few I can take - flucoxacillin, Cipro......
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,667 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:49 AM

I would have to say likely 100+ also. I grew up in the era of 'got the sniffles get an antibiotic'. I did get sick alot though. It seemed anything that was going around I would get it. Chronic brochitis every winter and every flu or tummy bug would get me. Oddly enough since diagnosis I haven't even had a sniffle now in years.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:51 AM

Very few for me, but my youngest daughter lived on antibiotics for chronic ear infections till she was 6 years old. She was even on prophylactic Ceclor (one dose a day) for the better part of a year to try and stave off the one-after-another ear infections. She had two sets of "tubes" and nothing helped!

The antibiotic use affected her teeth. Her second molars crumbled when the orthodontist took her braces off and they let her wisdom teeth come in to act as her second molars. And she, of my 3 diagnosed daughters, had the worst time w/ celiac. She was ultra sensitive to EVERYTHING and was tested for things like interstitial cystitis and refractory celiac. She's just recently been able to bring a few more foods into her diet.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#8 munchkinette

munchkinette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

I picked 20-30. I had lots of ear infections when I was little, up to the age of about 15. I don't think I've taken antibiotics once since high school. I've been taking probiotics for at least 4 years though. I think it helps a lot since I rarely get colds.
Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003
Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)
Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)
Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hundreds. I was a very sickly kid with bronchitis at least twice a year up until I was in my 30's. I have had pneumonia several times, plus the assorted ear infections, sinus infections, abcessed teeth, and let's not forget the month and a half they had me on antibiotics for this mysterious pain in my jawbone.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

I really don't know how many. I know I used to get ear infections and strep a lot as a kid and even had scarlatina(scarlet fever) two or three times also. As an adult I've not had as many maybe 10 or so. I had a bout last year where I was having to take diflucan frequently.

My 10 year old only had one antibiotic till age 2.5. He started daycare at that time and he got everthing known to man and the antibiotics to go with it. Constant strep infections and finally got tonsils out at 4. Then tons of antiboitics after that for bad sinus infections till age 6 when we identified he had allergies. He has done better since.

My 6 year old had so many as a baby and even had yeast overgrowth in his bowel, thrush, and skin yeast infections from them. It got to be so many we even would have blood work done to make sure he even needed the antibiotics and he did. I put him on probiotics as a baby.

Probiotics have helped both my boys. My oldest would get severe diarrhea within 24 hours of any penicillin antibiotic. He often would get worse because the pedi told me he wasn't absorbing the meds. Since probiotics he may get slight isssues toward the end of the meds, but that's it.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#11 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:49 AM

I had to go 30+. I hate antibiotics but I was such a sick kid. Constant strep,ear, and kidney infections. Even as an adult I get strep at least 5 times a year. I now have only a handful of antibiotics I can take that still work and don't make me violently ill. Luckily my new doctor is on board with avoiding them as much as possible. He suggests I mix honey and apple cider vinegar and drink a spoonful each morning as in his experience it can help ward off strep. He's also given me a few herbs to take to help my immune system.

#12 Ellie84

Ellie84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:03 AM

In the 4 years before my diagnosis I had quite a few hard to treat infections. I used to have at least 3 cases of cystitis a year and at least 1 case of pharyngitis. The pharyngitis sometimes became a bronchitis and required a lot of antibiotics to cure. *Knocks on wood* I've been infection-free for almost a year now :)
27, F, from the beautiful area of Twente in the Netherlands. English is not my first language, so I apologize for any errors.

Symptoms started in 2007, but no link to celiac disease was found until 2009. I learned of celiac disease through the internet, my doctor never recognized it. She put me on a diet before tests were done, so the initial tests failed. My GI advised me to do a gluten provocation, which had to be stopped too soon to take a reliable biopsy. Based on symptoms such as vitamin deficiencies, GI problems and osteopenia my diagnosis now is: glutenintolerant, suspected celiac disease. This diagnosis was in march 2010, and I've been so much better ever since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: