This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Need Advice

Bella001

Bella001 Explorer

Hello!

I've been gluten free for nearly two years. I've become more and more concerned about a reaction to food to the point I'm avoiding things I may be able to eat. Can somebody please ease my mind or confirm my fears about what I may eat? I keep eating the same stuff day after day and it's getting old!

Here are my foods of concern:

Pickles, Boar's Head. I know they say all their stuff is gluten free but it has vinegar, that is my concern.

Sauerkraut-Boar's Head in a bag.

Rum, I use to drink Malibu and haven't since. I only drink red wine now. I cannot drink vodka, it kills my stomach!

I feel like all I eat is chicken, fish, red meat, fruit, and veggies! Please give me some advice!

P.S. I cannot have nuts, eggs, or dairy either!

Thanks so much!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I don't know for certain about Boar's Head but I can say they are a very reputable company and have always been quite forthcoming with information. I'm sure if you called they would let you know if they use distilled vinegar or another type that is gluten free. They make the best sauerkraut that you can buy in a store, I'd hate to realize I have to give it up. I quit drinking years ago so I wouldn't know a thing about that other than the fact that I can't have a beer with my brother when I visit home.

Sweetea888 Newbie

I was diagnosed with celiac disease at the end of May in 2006. When I had been gluten free for about two years (about the same place you are now), I had a similar sort of meltdown where I wanted to cry every time I went to a restaurant, went to the grocery store or was invited to a friend's house to eat.

But, you can get past this. There are many, many sources available now where you can figure out what you can eat and be SURE you are not getting any gluten. First, WalMart (and Sam's Club) have very clearly marked gluten-free products, for instance. You didn't say what grocery stores are near you, but Kroger and several other national chains have pretty good gluten free products. Also, a lot of Indian and Thai foods are gluten free.

You seem to be concerned about vinegar...there is a lot of conflicting information about there about vinegar. I feel more comfortable using apple cider vinegar and staying away from white vinegar, but most sources say it is o.k. in the United States. In any event, I try to stick with pickles that the company says are o.k. Vlasic and Mt. Olive both have a lot of gluten free pickles...check their websites or email or call them. Also www.thatpickleguy.com has an online store and the pickles there are all gluten free. I have never had any problem with any Boar's Head meats, cheese or any other of their products...and I"m pretty sensitive.

I eat a lot of shrimp and fish, but I also cook turkey breast and turkeyloins. I get really, really tired of chicken. I can't have pork or beef because of a tick bite allergy problem, so I feel your pain on being limited. There are a number of refried beans that are gluten free and most corn tacos and taco shells are gluten free. There are also gluten free corn tortillas, and with corn and rice and all the other ingredients, a lot of Mexican made at home is good and inexpensive. There are also a lot of salsas that are gluten free.

Just recently, Betty Crocker has come out with several products that make having dessert less expensive, easier and delicious...now there are cake mixes, frostings, and chocolate chip cookies that are clearly marked gluten free. Also, both Rice Krispies and

and most of the Chex (except Wheat, of course) are now gluten free.

HOpe this helps. Don't get discouraged. There is a LOT of information available online.

mamaw Community Regular

All Boar's Head deli meats are labeled as well as Dietz & Watson deli meats. Both excellent !.

Plain old Heinz vinegars are gluten-free except for Malt vinegar....

I make our homemade sauerkraut but to date I have never seen kraut that wasn't okay to eat. They do put perservatives in bought kraut...usually kraut is just cabbage & salt....I have eaten bagged silver floss..

hth mamaw

Jestgar Rising Star

Also, both Rice Krispies and

and most of the Chex (except Wheat, of course) are now gluten free.

HOpe this helps. Don't get discouraged. There is a LOT of information available online.

The brown rice Krispies, and some of the Chex - be sure to read the label!

lynnelise Apprentice

Rum is made from distilled sugar cane so it is safe to drink!

Metoo Enthusiast

Rum is made from distilled sugar cane so it is safe to drink!

I drink clear rum like Malibu and Heaven Hill.

I clearly cannot have vodka it works a number on me, its not good. I really enjoyed vodka too, but oh well it doesn't like me now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived