8 replies to this topic

#1 kaygato

kaygato

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

I'm planning on trying a low to no grain diet, something like the south beach diet. I'm already gluten free but want to lose some weight and eat less starch and sugar.

I've heard of people on grain free diets still eating quinoa, millet, buckwheat, and brown rice. I've also heard amaranth talked about in this way too.

My question is what are the healthiest/most nutritious grains? Obviously I wouldn't have anything with gluten, and I'd also exclude oatmeal, corn, white rice, and potato. So are the grains I mentioned earlier actually better for you than other grains?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

My guess is that whole grains would be your best bang, like brown or black rice.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#3 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

http://www.allaboutf...thy-grains.html

Here ya go, all gluten free!
Alice in Gluten-Free Wonderland

#4 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

Only Quinoa has all 9 amino acids!

#5 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Quinoa set me back so bad the one time I tried it. Gtanted I got it out of a bulk bin at a health food store (bad move),but I'll never try it again.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Marilyln, I'm with you on the quinoa - deadly. Millet too. And yet the link fantasticalice provided claims that millet and sorghum are the same - NOT!. I love sorghum, no problems whatsoever with it.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:27 AM

Marilyln, I'm with you on the quinoa - deadly. Millet too. And yet the link fantasticalice provided claims that millet and sorghum are the same - NOT!. I love sorghum, no problems whatsoever with it.

Ah, yes...millet. Tried it once as just one ingredient with several gluten-free flours in a recipe. Haven't used it since. Glad I'm not the only one. Never buy quinoa, either, but for a diffeent reason. I started gluten-free in 1977 and quinoa and rice flours were the only options. Got so sick of it.

Amaranth has lots of minerals in it, I believe. It sure tastes healthy to me :)
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#8 fantasticalice

fantasticalice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Wow! I stand corrected. I eat a lot of quiona and I feed it to my dogs as well (pugs, lots of allergies) I bake with Bob's Red Mill flour, we LOVE the stuff! Um...I would never buy it for daughter from bulk bin!? Costco has it (Bob's) and it's 1/2 price, compared with other stores. We eat oatmeal and I know many don't. Trader's now has their own gluten-free oats. There are so many things Rachel can't eat and not just because she's Celiac. We are only discovering the many no-nos :(

Found Vances non-dairy creamer yesterday, anyone tried it?

#9 HiDee

HiDee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

Some people in the SCD and Paleo world would advocate that NO grains are healthy (inlcuding millet, amaranth, quinoa etc.). I'm not an expert on either of those diets (there's tons of info on the web if you want to search it out) but my husband and I follow a largely grain free and low sugar diet but for the occasional rice cracker with my kids or popcorn on movie night etc. My husband is also largely dairy free as well, I believe avoiding grains, sugar and dairy for him has helped him a lot health-wise but when he strays, he pays. Personally, I find the grains you mentioned are not very tasty and certainly don't warrant the extra cost if I don't really like to eat them or bake with them. There are so many other options that taste better and are healthier, like More Vegetables! Instead of rice on the side, we have an extra vegetable or salad. My favorite website is elanaspantry.com, she almost exclusively uses almond flour or coconut flour for baking, as do I. It's a somewhat low carb but high nutrition approach. She has VERY good recipes and south beach approved I would imagine in most cases.
Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: