37 replies to this topic

#31 AVR1962

AVR1962

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Before I was diagnosed with celiac I took a short course on how to raise your metabolism. At the time I thought my problems was that my metabolism had slowed and it just needed a kick-start. In the class the instructor spoke about the various things that polute the liver and coffee was one. Stress, prescript meds, injected meats and pesticides on fruits and veggies were the others. It was enough for my husband to stop drinking coffee, he drinks tea now.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

What does the phrase "pollute the liver" mean? And how did your instructor explain how tea, which is comparably chemically complex plus very high in fluoride and salicylates, is somehow magically better than coffee? And what about other chemically complex antioxidant foods like red wine, chocolate, or blueberries. Do those "pollute the liver"?

Sorry, but I'm getting really frustrated with these coffee threads. Caffeine is fairly anti-inflammatory, which a lot of us could really use. There are also some epidemiological studies suggesting that coffee is mildly neuroprotective against Alzheimer's. It is also rich in the same polyphenols and flavenoids that give red wine and chocolate their antioxidant properties, but without the sugar or alcohol.

I'm trying to figure out why we have so many people suddenly trying to make coffee into a villian. It just doesn't make sense.

#33 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

Ignore it. Drink coffee if you want.

richard

Its quite simple really...If it bothers you...don't drink it! If it DOESN't...ENJOY!!! LOL! everyone is different...listen to your body...it will tell you if you can have it or not! espescially a CELIACS body!!!LOL! :rolleyes: :blink: :lol:
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#34 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

Its quite simple really...If it bothers you...don't drink it! If it DOESN't...ENJOY!!!

This is possibly the most sensible post in this whole thread. :lol:

#35 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

NO. There is no gluten in plain coffee--instant or brewed.

In the June 2010 publication of Gluten Free Living, they state "Plain coffee is gluten free. This includes ground regular and decaffeinated and instant coffee. Flavored coffee has always been considered suspicious in the gluten-free community, but in most cases it, too, is gluten free."

If it is flavored, READ THE LABEL!!!!!

If it is FREEZE-DRIED--READ THE LABEL. I read one article on LIVESTRONG (FWIW) that suggested some company used flour in it? Cannot say if that is true.

It comes down to this: If there is wheat in it, the label will tell you so.

Hi IRISH!... The only reason I mentioned that is because my FOLGERS INSTANT BREAKFAST NESCAFE says gluten-free on it, and I was thinking...Is there coffee WITH gluten? There must be if theres a need to Lable it...like I said...maybe as an emulsifier or bonding agent!also I've read that in instant coffee it CAN be used to keep the nice crystal shape in instant coffee...just saying! Like you said...and I tell other people...READ THOSE LABLES!!! :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#36 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

Very rarely, flavored coffee has barley malt in the "natural flavorings". If you like the flavored coffees it's best to write the manufacturer and ask. I know Peet's brand is safe. Plain unflavored coffee is naturally gluten-free.

#37 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

What does the phrase "pollute the liver" mean? And how did your instructor explain how tea, which is comparably chemically complex plus very high in fluoride and salicylates, is somehow magically better than coffee? And what about other chemically complex antioxidant foods like red wine, chocolate, or blueberries. Do those "pollute the liver"?

Sorry, but I'm getting really frustrated with these coffee threads. Caffeine is fairly anti-inflammatory, which a lot of us could really use. There are also some epidemiological studies suggesting that coffee is mildly neuroprotective against Alzheimer's. It is also rich in the same polyphenols and flavenoids that give red wine and chocolate their antioxidant properties, but without the sugar or alcohol.

I'm trying to figure out why we have so many people suddenly trying to make coffee into a villian. It just doesn't make sense.

Skylark, I think it is like anything else....there's lots of difference thoughts are various foods as to whether they are good or bad for you. I think a prson has to weigh the info and decide for themselves. This instructor was saying that coffee is loaded with all kinds of chemicals which happens in the processing before it goes to the grocery store shelves. She said the bean itself is not the problem.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#38 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

Skylark, I think it is like anything else....there's lots of difference thoughts are various foods as to whether they are good or bad for you. I think a prson has to weigh the info and decide for themselves. This instructor was saying that coffee is loaded with all kinds of chemicals which happens in the processing before it goes to the grocery store shelves. She said the bean itself is not the problem.

Huh? I'm sorry but this instructor doesn't know what s/he is talking about. There are no chemicals used in coffee processing. Go look it up yourself! The bean has the fruit either naturally fermented or scrubbed off, it is dried, the hull mechanically removed, it's sometimes aged, and then it is roasted.

If you are concerned about pesticides or decaf, buy organic. Only CO2 and water processed decaf are allowed to be labeled organic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: