Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Do You Think Of Grated Cheese, Costco Brant Or Sliced Cheese Or Grated Cheese?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Is it safe, Does it have flour on it from the line after slicing. What do you think? I eat circle cheese and block cheese mostly. What have you learned and how did you learn it?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Is it safe, Does it have flour on it from the line after slicing. What do you think? I eat circle cheese and block cheese mostly. What have you learned and how did you learn it?

Many grated cheeses are dusted with cellulose, which is non-gluten. I have seen none, dusted with flour.

Kraft cheese will identify any form of gluten.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Many grated cheeses are dusted with cellulose, which is non-gluten. I have seen none, dusted with flour.

Kraft cheese will identify any form of gluten.

So lets say we go out to dinner, how do we know if it is dusted with flour of cellulose? What is the general rule? My question has gotten a lot of hits, so others must wonder the same thing too.

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

If I felt like wasting the cheese....I could shred some up, put regular flour on it & seal it in a Baggie. In a few days I would likely have a gloppy mess as flour gets very sticky with a little moisture. Corn starch would work better. Flour is used to help stuff stick together.

I guess if it worries a person, they wouldn't get shredded cheese in the type of restauraunt that buys pre shredded cheese?

If the restauraunt has a certification from the agencies( I can't remember the names now) they have to know the ingredients of everything they put on the gluten-free menu. So if they say, for example, the chili is gluten-free and comes with cheddar and sour cream, they have to know, from the manufacturer, what is in the beans, tomato sauce, cheese, etc. the menu will note the certification

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

I eat the following shredded brands with zero problems (always check the label yourself):

Target Brand
Kraft
Albertson's
Sargento
Precious Mozzarella
Tillamook

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

I'll join Lisa in saying that in more than 10 years of eating gluten-free I've NEVER found a cheese "coated" or "dusted" with flour. In my mind, that one qualifies as a celiac urban myth.

richard

#7 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

I'll join Lisa in saying that in more than 10 years of eating gluten-free I've NEVER found a cheese "coated" or "dusted" with flour. In my mind, that one qualifies as a celiac urban myth.

richard

Thanks all. So you feel it is safe, that is good. I read in Celiac for Dunnies that they put flour on the conveyer belt. So that person should fix her book.

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

richard

I agree with Richard and Lisa.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: