Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Do You Think Of Grated Cheese, Costco Brant Or Sliced Cheese Or Grated Cheese?

8 posts in this topic

Is it safe, Does it have flour on it from the line after slicing. What do you think? I eat circle cheese and block cheese mostly. What have you learned and how did you learn it?

Ads by Google:

Is it safe, Does it have flour on it from the line after slicing. What do you think? I eat circle cheese and block cheese mostly. What have you learned and how did you learn it?

Many grated cheeses are dusted with cellulose, which is non-gluten. I have seen none, dusted with flour.

Kraft cheese will identify any form of gluten.

Many grated cheeses are dusted with cellulose, which is non-gluten. I have seen none, dusted with flour.

Kraft cheese will identify any form of gluten.

So lets say we go out to dinner, how do we know if it is dusted with flour of cellulose? What is the general rule? My question has gotten a lot of hits, so others must wonder the same thing too.

If I felt like wasting the cheese....I could shred some up, put regular flour on it & seal it in a Baggie. In a few days I would likely have a gloppy mess as flour gets very sticky with a little moisture. Corn starch would work better. Flour is used to help stuff stick together.

I guess if it worries a person, they wouldn't get shredded cheese in the type of restauraunt that buys pre shredded cheese?

If the restauraunt has a certification from the agencies( I can't remember the names now) they have to know the ingredients of everything they put on the gluten-free menu. So if they say, for example, the chili is gluten-free and comes with cheddar and sour cream, they have to know, from the manufacturer, what is in the beans, tomato sauce, cheese, etc. the menu will note the certification

I eat the following shredded brands with zero problems (always check the label yourself):

Target Brand

Kraft

Albertson's

Sargento

Precious Mozzarella

Tillamook

I'll join Lisa in saying that in more than 10 years of eating gluten-free I've NEVER found a cheese "coated" or "dusted" with flour. In my mind, that one qualifies as a celiac urban myth.

richard

I'll join Lisa in saying that in more than 10 years of eating gluten-free I've NEVER found a cheese "coated" or "dusted" with flour. In my mind, that one qualifies as a celiac urban myth.

richard

Thanks all. So you feel it is safe, that is good. I read in Celiac for Dunnies that they put flour on the conveyer belt. So that person should fix her book.

richard

I agree with Richard and Lisa.