33 replies to this topic

#31 katerzz

katerzz

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

Not that I disagree with either of you...I toatally agree...especially about "for his health"...but....
Coming from the mom side of trying to keep things EQUAL...she was probably trying to do something...special...so the ONE kid didn't feel left out while everyone else got pizza! also Ibelieved that they were OUT...and it was desided on pizza for THE GROUP..so she was probably compensating...alla "spur of the moment and what was convenient!
We've done that with my shellfish allergy son when everyone else is having shrimp...he gets asuper gormet burger of his choice...especially if we're having crab!LOL!
But usreally...there is something on the menu for ALL of our dietary needs...(all 4 of us have special diet needs)...or we just won't go!we'll find a place that suits ALL of us!of course when out with a group...like little leauge or a school event...you can't do that and sometimes(if you don't have time to plan a head)...have to compensate!
But she should have been more descreet...no mcdonalds bag...dump it in a plate..(or napkin) ditch the bag!LOL!!! :P

The problem is... arguing that Mcdonalds fries are safer for a celiac is crazy! Maybe if she brought him some gluten free pizza then I'd buy it. I could care less if the fries were from another restaurant so much as McDonalds fries are (typically) not gluten free. As a mom with a son who has Celiac Disease it is my JOB to plan ahead, always. Even when it's a pain in my butt ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,058 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

The problem is... arguing that Mcdonalds fries are safer for a celiac is crazy! Maybe if she brought him some gluten free pizza then I'd buy it. I could care less if the fries were from another restaurant so much as McDonalds fries are (typically) not gluten free. As a mom with a son who has Celiac Disease it is my JOB to plan ahead, always. Even when it's a pain in my butt ;)

This thread is not the place to reopen the McFries discussion.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#33 StephanieL

StephanieL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

I thought that about the pizza parlor one, too. If she had brought a discreet lunch from home, they probably wouldn't have said anything. Instead, she brings in the McDonalds bag, advertising another restauraunt. Plus, I don't know how they could argue that the kid "needed" fries for his health.

FWIW, the Pizza Hut apologized to this Mom and said they were retraining staff so in the end, bringing it in wasn't a big deal to them at all. I will say that the Mom said the kid had gluten AND dairy issues. I would never give my Celiac, dairy allergic kid a McDonalds fry. Ever. But to each his/her own, right.

Also, there are plenty of place I would never let my kid eat anything at and would 100% bring in food for them. If the establishment has an issue and asks us to leave, we will take our business elsewhere and speed the word that they are not helpful/understanding about food issues. I wouldn't trust "even and orange" from places.

#34 Missandi

Missandi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yeah, that's tricky. If it were me, i would totally want to go to a team-building thing. And to build a team, it's important that others understand restrictions that others have. It builds morale to understand one another better. Look at it that way - this is a perfect opportunity to share something about yourself that others can relate to - i'm sure EVERYONE knows SOMEONE with some sort of food allergy - so they (including your 3rd boss) will digest that information, and move on - it doesn't have to be "all you talk about at work"

I would tell my 3rd boss here's what's going on, and i need to eat sir - so if you don't mind around 11:30 (or whatever time) I will bring MY lunch to my desk and eat before we all leave, i'm excited to participate - but i didn't want you to think i'm "just a picky eater and I don't like indian food". He/she will totally understand! This is something we're all used to doing: family functions, company picnics, first dates, etc...you just tell people and move forward. WE are all special and unique. Good luck and have lots of fun with your co-workers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: