Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Feel Weird- 3Rd Week Of gluten-free Diet

6 posts in this topic

I have felt horrible my entire life, and have had hundreds of tests done to figure out why my intestinal tract reacts the way it does. I stopped having tests done about 8 years ago because I couldn't afford it anymore, and was told I had IBS. I recently have been doing some more research and found out I was 0- blood type, and that I should try a Gluten Free diet. I've been gluten-free for about 3 weeks now, and as of this past week I feel as if I'm lacking something. I can't pin point exactly what I'm feeling but I feel a little nauseous, dizzy, and get sweats. Has anyone else felt this? The past 2 days I've started taking a multivitamin and some fish oil. I'm not sure if it's helping or making my symptoms worse. I have yet to see a doctor because I just got insurance, and have not seen a nutritionist. I've been getting most of my information from forums. Thanks for listening.

Ads by Google:

What kinds of foods are you eating?

Oftentimes, whole unprocessed foods make a huge difference compared to a diet w/ a lot of processed foods, made from a long list of ingreds.

It also makes it far easier to find which foods might be problematic.

Lactose, casein (milk sugar & a milk protein) & soy issues are pretty common around here.

Something you've been fine eating before might not agree w/ you while healing.

It could be as simple as, say the one 'replacement product' (gluten-free reformulations of cookies, crackers, bread etc) that uses some tapioca flour, or mung bean or fava bean flour or some other ingred that you just weren't exposed to much before might have always been disagreeable but never came up.

It's a lot simpler to find out when eating a simple diet.

Or maybe the current issue 3 wks in is from something else - ppl w/ pets might try a different pet food that's on sale & find out later it's got gluten & has been affecting them.

All sorts of unlikely things might be involved & ppl here will help you find them, so don't be daunted by the scope (easier said than done - we've all felt overwhelmed early on).

Gotta start w/ reviewing current diet.

So, whatcha eatin'?

I call what you're feeling gluten withdrawal. I felt like that & then some. It lasts different for different people. But you will find plenty of discussion on it here in threads. Use the search box & put in gluten withdrawal or just withdrawal.

I am three weeks into gluten free and can relate. I felt so good for the first week. The swirls in my head are quieter, but they are still there.

Withdrawal. First 6 weeks can be tough for a lot of people. Stick with it, it gets better!

Yep, I think it's a sort of withdrawal. I had the same thing a couple weeks after I quit. I suddenly had crazy headaches and was wicked dizzy with terrible stomach pains. I felt like I was hung over! What I read is the gluten submits a toxic layer to your stomach lining. When you quit the gluten is starts to peel away and enter your stomach for a bit before it passes. Just stick by your water bottle and it'll pass. Keep up the good work!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Well, you can probably get an apple or something.  You might be able to get someone to boil you some eggs.  But be careful of things like nuts that should be naturally gluten free.  They have almost always been soaked in a flavor solution that usually containes caramel coloring, "soy" (wheat) sauce and other aditives.  If I am really hungry and must eat in a Chinese restaurant, I order plain white rice and steamed vegetables.  But even so, you must monitor it carefully.  The rice sometimes has other substances added to give it a better texture, and very often the vegetables have in fact had "just a little bit" of soy sauce added.  To be fair, celiac disease is hardly ever found in East Asians, so understandably people are not tuned it to it.  Also, culturally, with the exception of fruits, it is generally thought that the flavor of foods needs to be enhanced, so it is had to find anything natural even in the "western" gorceries. Even in the western restaurants, be careful.  Fish and meat and often vegetables are usually pre-marinated. I will not even attempt to address the issue of cross-comtamination, since that is a whole higher order of things. I do know what I am talking about; I have celiac and have worked here for nearly 7 years.  
    • I'm glad I found these forums!  I will spend some more time this evening reading through them.  But I wanted to get my question out there just to see if anyone else might have answers quicker than I can sift through the forum for them.      I've been feeling terrible for about a year, and after an elimination diet last month, figured out that if nothing else, gluten/wheat is a problem.  After lots of research, I abandoned the elimination diet and added gluten back in, so that I could get tested for Celiac.   I was off gluten for 3 weeks, from mid-June until early July.  I've had it back in my diet for almost 3 weeks now.    My question is this: Since I was off gluten for 3 weeks, and now back on for almost 3, is that enough time on to yield a positive Celiac blood test, if that indeed is what I have?  All the research I've done says 4-6 weeks for a gluten challenge, but is that really necessary if I was only not eating it for 3 weeks?  I am desperate to get this testing done and over with.  I feel terrible all the time and getting through the day is a struggle.  My doctor ran allergy panels already and everything came back clear except for a mild wheat allergy.  So if nothing else, I'll have to give up wheat for sure at the end of all this.  I get the feeling she doesn't know a ton about Celiac though, so I'm doing a lot of the research on my own. Any advice or information would be so appreciated! 
    • Hi Michael, That's quite a spike in blood pressure!  I haven't tested that myself and don't want to if it means I have to eat gluten.  Blood pressure testing to identify food reactions is something that has come up before.  It sounds like it might be possible but I don't know how much study has been done on it.  Probably not much since it is such a simple, straight forward idea. Welcome to the forum!
    • Hi Megan, Did the doctor test you for celiac disease?  You really shouldn't go gluten-free until all the testing for celiac disease is completed.  It is a little odd for a doctor to tell you to go gluten-free for no reason IMHO.  Did he/she explain the reason for it? Personally, I have learned over the years what I can eat safely and what I can't.  Occasionally I get hit but it is rare.  Simplifying your diet is a good first step.  Avoiding processed foods for a while and dairy also is good.  I suggest any change you make last for a month at least. Then try the food again. If you are eating 100 random ingredients/foods each day it is hard to figure these things out.  If you reduce it to a much smaller number of foods then things become simpler. Welcome to the forum!
    • Finally, proof that non-celiac gluten sensitivity is real. ... for the 30 percent of consumers who choose to buy gluten-free products and the 41 percent of ... View the full article
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    calla84