5 replies to this topic

#1 xxikayixx

xxikayixx

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

I have felt horrible my entire life, and have had hundreds of tests done to figure out why my intestinal tract reacts the way it does. I stopped having tests done about 8 years ago because I couldn't afford it anymore, and was told I had IBS. I recently have been doing some more research and found out I was 0- blood type, and that I should try a Gluten Free diet. I've been gluten-free for about 3 weeks now, and as of this past week I feel as if I'm lacking something. I can't pin point exactly what I'm feeling but I feel a little nauseous, dizzy, and get sweats. Has anyone else felt this? The past 2 days I've started taking a multivitamin and some fish oil. I'm not sure if it's helping or making my symptoms worse. I have yet to see a doctor because I just got insurance, and have not seen a nutritionist. I've been getting most of my information from forums. Thanks for listening.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tom

tom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

What kinds of foods are you eating?
Oftentimes, whole unprocessed foods make a huge difference compared to a diet w/ a lot of processed foods, made from a long list of ingreds.

It also makes it far easier to find which foods might be problematic.
Lactose, casein (milk sugar & a milk protein) & soy issues are pretty common around here.
Something you've been fine eating before might not agree w/ you while healing.

It could be as simple as, say the one 'replacement product' (gluten-free reformulations of cookies, crackers, bread etc) that uses some tapioca flour, or mung bean or fava bean flour or some other ingred that you just weren't exposed to much before might have always been disagreeable but never came up.

It's a lot simpler to find out when eating a simple diet.

Or maybe the current issue 3 wks in is from something else - ppl w/ pets might try a different pet food that's on sale & find out later it's got gluten & has been affecting them.

All sorts of unlikely things might be involved & ppl here will help you find them, so don't be daunted by the scope (easier said than done - we've all felt overwhelmed early on).

Gotta start w/ reviewing current diet.
So, whatcha eatin'?
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#3 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

I call what you're feeling gluten withdrawal. I felt like that & then some. It lasts different for different people. But you will find plenty of discussion on it here in threads. Use the search box & put in gluten withdrawal or just withdrawal.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#4 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

I am three weeks into gluten free and can relate. I felt so good for the first week. The swirls in my head are quieter, but they are still there.

#5 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

Withdrawal. First 6 weeks can be tough for a lot of people. Stick with it, it gets better!

#6 IndiaEileen

IndiaEileen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

Yep, I think it's a sort of withdrawal. I had the same thing a couple weeks after I quit. I suddenly had crazy headaches and was wicked dizzy with terrible stomach pains. I felt like I was hung over! What I read is the gluten submits a toxic layer to your stomach lining. When you quit the gluten is starts to peel away and enter your stomach for a bit before it passes. Just stick by your water bottle and it'll pass. Keep up the good work!
Gluten free since May 1st 2012
Never going back, spreading the word, handing out cookies one interested participant at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: