Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Feel Weird- 3Rd Week Of gluten-free Diet

6 posts in this topic

I have felt horrible my entire life, and have had hundreds of tests done to figure out why my intestinal tract reacts the way it does. I stopped having tests done about 8 years ago because I couldn't afford it anymore, and was told I had IBS. I recently have been doing some more research and found out I was 0- blood type, and that I should try a Gluten Free diet. I've been gluten-free for about 3 weeks now, and as of this past week I feel as if I'm lacking something. I can't pin point exactly what I'm feeling but I feel a little nauseous, dizzy, and get sweats. Has anyone else felt this? The past 2 days I've started taking a multivitamin and some fish oil. I'm not sure if it's helping or making my symptoms worse. I have yet to see a doctor because I just got insurance, and have not seen a nutritionist. I've been getting most of my information from forums. Thanks for listening.

Ads by Google:

What kinds of foods are you eating?

Oftentimes, whole unprocessed foods make a huge difference compared to a diet w/ a lot of processed foods, made from a long list of ingreds.

It also makes it far easier to find which foods might be problematic.

Lactose, casein (milk sugar & a milk protein) & soy issues are pretty common around here.

Something you've been fine eating before might not agree w/ you while healing.

It could be as simple as, say the one 'replacement product' (gluten-free reformulations of cookies, crackers, bread etc) that uses some tapioca flour, or mung bean or fava bean flour or some other ingred that you just weren't exposed to much before might have always been disagreeable but never came up.

It's a lot simpler to find out when eating a simple diet.

Or maybe the current issue 3 wks in is from something else - ppl w/ pets might try a different pet food that's on sale & find out later it's got gluten & has been affecting them.

All sorts of unlikely things might be involved & ppl here will help you find them, so don't be daunted by the scope (easier said than done - we've all felt overwhelmed early on).

Gotta start w/ reviewing current diet.

So, whatcha eatin'?

I call what you're feeling gluten withdrawal. I felt like that & then some. It lasts different for different people. But you will find plenty of discussion on it here in threads. Use the search box & put in gluten withdrawal or just withdrawal.

I am three weeks into gluten free and can relate. I felt so good for the first week. The swirls in my head are quieter, but they are still there.

Withdrawal. First 6 weeks can be tough for a lot of people. Stick with it, it gets better!

Yep, I think it's a sort of withdrawal. I had the same thing a couple weeks after I quit. I suddenly had crazy headaches and was wicked dizzy with terrible stomach pains. I felt like I was hung over! What I read is the gluten submits a toxic layer to your stomach lining. When you quit the gluten is starts to peel away and enter your stomach for a bit before it passes. Just stick by your water bottle and it'll pass. Keep up the good work!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi All this is my blood test result 1.immunogloblulin serum 203 ( 87-350) 2.Deamidated Gliadin IGA  4 ( 0-19 negative) 3.Deamidated Gliadin IGG 3(0-19 negative) 4.Transglutainase IGA <2 ( 0-3 negative) 5.Transglutainase IGG <2 ( 0-3 negative) does it mean most likely no celiac ? thanks.  
    • At the moment it's microwave rice packets as it needs to be something easy for lunch at work. What do you choose for breakfast? At the moment I have gluten-free porridge oats with fruits but also seeing oats are a bit of a gamble in the early days. Trying to figure out how long a reaction takes to show up i.e. if I feel ropey later in the day is it really lunch as I'm blaming at present or actually is it something from the morning or even night before? The food is the toughest bit for me right now; wasn't that great with it before so will need plenty ideas from you good people... seems I'm in the right place though   
    • I know what you're going through - it's that grieving process and it's tough.  I was diagnosed in 2013, and aside from an occasional pity party, I don't look back. I have my restaurants where I feel safe, I have the food I know I can eat, and I get on with my life.  I'm lucky that I live in a big city with lots of options, but you can make this work, and you will feel better and once you do, you'll stop grieving.  The people on this site helped enormously. It is tough in the beginning to know if you've been 'glutened' vs. just going through withdrawal.  For that reason alone, it's best to avoid restaurants for a little while and be careful at home - just to be sure what's happening.  Eventually you'll be able to get back to your version of 'normal'.  Oh, I also have hypothyroid/hashimoto's.  No big deal, I take synthroid. Quinoa, eggs, nuts and beans for protein.  You don't have to go crazy on the cooking.  Just eat a lot of whole foods.  There are a lot of complicated recipes out there, but now may not be the time.  Rice noodles in veggie bouillon - easy and cheap.  gluten-free pasta with olive oil, parmesan and garlic - easy.  I eat a lot of rice and have never had a problem - you're not getting it out of one of those bulk bins, are you?  That could be contaminated.  Go with packaged.  Do you have access to the Macro Vegetarian brand of prepared rice dishes (in the refrigerated section).  They have several that are gluten free, they're delicious heated and with a little gluten-free soy sauce.  They're my go to on days I don't want to cook. Good luck!  
    • I also think that the HPV/Gardasil vaccine triggered something in my body. I had some Celiac symptoms many years before this vaccine but I felt ok. I was physically very active. However, after I received the third dose as well, I began having more problems including a more persistant pain, overall body weakness, lack of concentration, hair loss, etc.
    • OK so been to the doctor, they've sped up my referral and I should get the appointment booking form in the post shortly. They've said stay off the gluten until I have a date for the appointment then in the weeks leading up to it go back on - thoughts? Did my bit of sport last night which was a great relief to be free of any illness-related thoughts for an hour or two; didn't think I'd have the energy at the start but soon got going and was OK so that's a plus I seem to be getting some strange symptoms at the moment that have only happened since trying to remove gluten, do these sound familiar to anyone? dry forehead, just starting to go red \ itchy in places. Treating with E45-type cream tender scalp and sides of head, almost like a pulling feeling and a bit sensitive to touch. Scared this one matches the symptoms of GCA, a particularly nasty autoimmune disease that can lead to blindness 
      Edit: having said that just found this thread and funny enough did wash my hair this morning...
      http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/50920-sores-on-scalp/ one eye watering and associated fuzzy vision at times, trying to reassure myself it isn't blurred vision due to the point above sometimes bit of a lump in throat sensation, seems to come and go Been reading that some people can't handle rice - I was OK with it whilst eating gluten but have been having it for lunch each day and seem to get worse around 4-5pm so could that be a culprit? How long after coming off gluten would I be able to say I'm at a baseline to know if feeling ill is down to "glutening" vs. blaming it on the body adjusting to the change in (lack of) gluten in food?
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Waseemshahid