20 replies to this topic

#16 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

If what you are dealing with is indeed DH, it will not clear up until all traces of gluten have been eliminated and it can take quite some time for the healing to take place. Mine took more than a year of trying to be strictly gluten free. But it worked. As other's have said, you may also have to limit iodine. If you wish to do that you can go to Thyca.com to see what the low iodine foods are. It is supposed to be temporary and you should be able to go back to having iodine in your diet once your rash has healed.

Are you taking any NSAIDS? DH can be made worse for some people by taking NSAIDS and some are sensitive to salicylates. You might talk to your Dr. or allergist about it, or if you want to limit sals yourself you can go to http://salicylatesensitivity.com/ Maybe it's time to eliminate gluten entirely, then limit iodine, then consider if salicylates might be causing your hives.

Something like 1 in 100 are sensitive to salicylates, so it is possible to have Celiac and be sensitive to salicylates. I am both and I have DH. I guess that explains why Ibuprofen made my DH worse when I was taking it for the pain and inflammation of DH. Incidentally, I had hive-like linear welts in addition to the blisters of DH. Prednisone helped me at times, but nothing healed it until I went all the way gluten free. Those with DH are extremely sensitive to traces of gluten. Reactions can last weeks as far as the rash is concerned. Be aware that DH can present many ways and may resemble hives. It may be helpful to look at the DH photo bank and read the DH thread.

I now tolerate both iodine and salicylates in foods and I am free of DH.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

My oldest son had hives all over his body back in Feb.(not gluten related he has environmental allergies he does immunotherpy for). They lasted for 1.5 weeks. The itching became so unbearable I took him to our ED and they gave him steriods and epi IV. He was sent home with oral steriods to take over the next several days. Within an hour of the epi wearing off he was covered up again and he sarcastically said that the trip to the ED and the side effects from the epi were not worth it. I ended up taking him to the allergist two days later. Allergist had him taking 2 zyrtec 12 hrs apart, put him on a higher steroid for five days that tapered down, and gave him a steriod cream to put on the hives. He finaly got rid of them and hasn't had a flare up since. Also I have seen where H2 blockers like zantac can be used to treat chronic hives. Not sure the dosage though.

If anything this might give you some thoughts and ideas to run by your doctor. I hope you get some relief soon.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#18 Tgmwv

Tgmwv

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Thanks again everyone for all of the advice and suggestions! I appreciate it all! I ended up in the ER because the hives got so bad I couldnt stand it anymore and the meds weren't working. I started having more and more trouble breathing and still sat for 5 hours waiting to be seen in the ER. They didn't know what to do for me except give me a shot of depomedrol, and anti-histamine shot and some zantac pills. They said that it would last me at least 5 days. Well guess what, 24 hours is about all I got. They ER doc and the RN both said I need to leave this state and go somewhere else for help. They suggested Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, Duke University, etc. Not sure what I am going to do next. Had more blood work done and another appt with the allergist next week but I don't even see the point in going anymore!

#19 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

I have found it helpful to take epsom salt baths and to detox using bentonite clay sprinkled on top of water in a mug and let sit 4 to 7 hours or more (covered to avoid flies and cats!), and then stirred and drunk with another mug of water with an equal amount of psyllium husks quickly stirred in. I started with a teaspoon of each and now am easily able to take a tablespoon of each. I have it most days though I invariably miss a few--which I think is just fine by now. Its best taken on an empty stomach, at least 2 hours after eating and an hour before eating anything more. Its important to drink extra water during the day. The bentonite/psyllium combo absorbs all kinds of chemicals, radiation, toxins, bacteria and helps them safely leave your body. Thing is is that it does help reduce my itchy hives and eczema and my myoclonus often precipitated by itchy bouts due to hives.

Walking every day for an hour also helps, and eating lots of (for me low salicylate and low tannin) veggies. Hatha yoga also helps. Its been proven to positively change one's biochemistry. Being on a vegetarian diet also seems to help. So I eat lots of beans and brown rice. The beans though for me have to be white to avoid tannins. And of course well soaked and cooked.

Also its important to look at what fats you are taking. Omega 3 fish oil can really help reduce one's inflammatory response. I get the Twinlabs plain fish oil, put it in a widemouth jar and freeze it to avoid amine formation.

I use spring water rather than regular filtered water due to the coconut husks used to make the carbon filters. I don't know if you have a problem with coconut, but what they hey, if you do have salicylate sensitivity it could be a problem.

If you do have a salicylate problem it means you are sensitive to some phenols. So using things like phenol assist by kirkman labs can help. And the product Histame can help with a great variety of amines...including histamines. Tannins can be yet another problem as can oxalates.

What I am implying here is further investigation into your diet is likely needed. There are solutions once you figure out what the problem is. No matter what, IMHO you may well have a problem with an overtaxed liver due to likely leaky gut from the gluten problem. This in turn makes your body become sensitized to a whole host of foods. Then of course your liver gets overtaxed from the detritus. And then next on the list is your skin and lymphatic systems...

IMHO taking steroids is no way to give your liver and skin a chance. Its likely your body wants you to discover what is actually bothering it, rather than coverup of symptoms with drugs. At most it is a dangerous stopgap though very understandable you would want to try it, it comes at a cost. Plus in your case it just is not working.

IMHO look to the Royal Prince Alpert Hospital in Australia to give you a few clues as to what is going on and how to figure it out with their Failsafe Diet.

Meanwhile though while you still do have some symptoms of DH do get it checked out rather than get another invasive procedure into your intestines. It is a very effective and less costly and often more accurate way to get a diagnosis of celiac since its right there obvious where to take the biopsy on the skin--right next to the little clear pustule filled areas. DH and celiac go hand in hand.

No matter what, whether its DH or not, this gluten sensitivity (or celiac) could be precipitating or at least making the other itchy symptoms far worse than they otherwise would be.
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#20 weluvgators

weluvgators

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

We got some relief for our DD using a combination of antihistamines. Ultimately, we found she had a chronic infection of H. Pylori that we treated. Treating her H. Pylori infection seemed to help her condition, and I have since found references to H. Pylori and chronic urticaria. Our DD also has a complicated and severe gluten allergy, but the hiving issues have subsided substantially since we treated the H. Pylori, in conjunction with recognising the severity of her gluten allergy. I hope you find relief soon.
My super silly red siren is my guiding light. She has been a tremendous lesson for me in how gluten affects different people in very different ways. She is a super duper silly girl that was simply born that way. I have no idea why I am so blessed to have her guidance.

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

We got some relief for our DD using a combination of antihistamines. Ultimately, we found she had a chronic infection of H. Pylori that we treated. Treating her H. Pylori infection seemed to help her condition, and I have since found references to H. Pylori and chronic urticaria. Our DD also has a complicated and severe gluten allergy, but the hiving issues have subsided substantially since we treated the H. Pylori, in conjunction with recognising the severity of her gluten allergy. I hope you find relief soon.

Hi-ya WLgators,

I hadn't heard that about H.Pylori and skin rashes. Do you happen to have any references for it? I think that's a very interesting connection, I take mastic gum for H.pylori. It is cheap and not an prescribed anti-biotic so I like that. It is a natural cure. It take it 3 times a day if I have problems. I seem to have a propensity for getting stomach ulcers as this is the 3rd time in 4 years for me. They always start on the left side of my stomach as I sleep on the right side a lot. So right now I am taking mastic gum and Betaine HCL with meals and before going to bed. It has already knocked the pain way back after just a few days. I'll keep taking it for a couple weeks. But I think I will continue to take it maybe once a week from now on, as a preventative, plus the Betaine HCL. H. Pylori likes low stomach acid, which I am starting to think I have. Sleeping on my left side eases the pain also. Stomach acid needs to coat the affected area to kill the H. Pylori, IMHO of course
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: