- - - - -

How To Celebrate?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Runningdream_*

Guest_Runningdream_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy when I was 9 years old. I'm 14 now. I found Out this morning that I no longer had that allergy. I suspected It when I had fondue with friends a whole ago. I never asked what went in the fondue...turns out there was beer and soy sauce. And rice krispies and cheesecake with crust for chocolate fondue. I ate it all with no problem.

Yesterday I went in for a blood test to see if I still had it. It's completely gone. They called this morning to tell me.

How do I celebrate? I had a tortilla wrap for lunch with beans and cheese. Boy how I missed that taste.

Oh and how do I tell my friends/family that I'm no longer allergic to wheat? When they see me eating stuff with wheat, what do I say?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

First you asked for advice about non-Celiac gluten intolerance. Now you say you had a wheat allergy?

It is possible, from what I have seen, to out grow an allergy.

While I am happy for you that that supposedly has happened, don't you think its a bit odd to come on a website for Celiac Disease (which can't be out grown) and tell us all the "wonderful' things you can now eat?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

If you were diagnosed with Celiac and have been gluten free your blood tests will come back negative. Ask your parents or guardians to get a copy of the doctor's records from when you were 9. If you were diagnosed celiac you are damaging your body eating gluten whether you feel it or not.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

I agree.

Find out if you were "allergic" or if you have a gluten intolerance (celiac). They are very different.

If you are intolerant and have been gluten free for a while, the antibodies may not show up in your blood for months. Your tests could all come back negative, even though you are still sensitive.

Symptoms may not show up right away too, but damage is still being done internally.

Do NOT go crazy eating gluten until you find out what you were originally diagnosed with.

Cara

#5 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

I agree. As someone who was told I had a "wheat allergy" by my mom 30 years ago, and that I "outgrew it" only to be dx with celiac at age 37...definitely find out what tests were done specifically and what your dx was.

Don't take your lack of reaction as a sign that it is gone. Celiac often goes "dormant" during teen years- no obvious symptoms but it is still doing damage.

And blood tests done now would always be negative. You have to be regularly consuming gluten to test positive.

If it turns out you had a true allergy, and you DID outgrow it- simpnly say the doctors have told you that you outgrew it. And eat some donuts and pizza for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: