Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

I Believed

6 posts in this topic

I didn't know about gluten. I knew that wheat was probably a problem for me. I took heed when a mother said her children couldn't handle wheat, but they could eat older forms of wheat. They were a tasty and nice texture replacement for wheat. I sure wish I could remember who that mother is. Maybe I could put her on guard for those children. At any rate for some reason I didn't ever try to test them like I did wheat.

One more strange thing I did was to eat at restaurants and not worry about wheat. I knew I also bloated after I went to eat out. If we went on a trip and ate out constantly I would get sick.

OOPS

I am so glad that I have come out of that!

Diana

Ads by Google:

I believed what my doctor told me for years; that if I have an upset stomach, or get acid reflux, to stick to simple foods like bread and crackers. And for my motion sickness, I was told to eat some plain bread before traveling. The idea of gluten actually *causing* all these problems just didn't seem logical.

Pizza and pasta gave me heartburn - it must be the tomato sauce

Chinese gave me diarrhea - it must have been the shrimp

Beef stroganoff made me nauseous - it must have been all those onions

Never ONCE did I suspect bread/pasta/noodles. It all makes sense in hindsight.

I believed my hands and feet were suffing with some kind of contact dermatitis. I believed my digestive problems stemmed from alcohol over-indulgence. I believed my insomnia was due to being a night person. I believed my thinning hair was genetic. I believed my brain fog was from getting older.

And even though I knew that with celiac in my family the odds were I might have it too, I believed that if I kept on denying it it would go away.

Boy was I stupid! <_<

Well, I DIDN'T believe any of the fibromyalgia, IBS, mental problem BS, but I didn't know what TO believe. I just kept telling hubs I felt 'toxic'. I was right.

I believed I had some weird, unidentifiable disease that would ultimately kill me. I believed I was slowly dying. I believed I would never feel better. So glad I was wrong!