#1 Tigercat17

Tigercat17

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

Hi everyone!

I've been gluten free for three years now and doing great except for the occasional accidental glutening. I know I just got glutened again and I really suspect the Wolff’s Cream of Buckwheat. I used to eat the Pocono brand all the time without any problems. It was one of my "safe" foods. Now my Wholefoods doesn't carry the Pocono brand anymore and I switched to the Wolff's brand a few months ago. It seems like every time I eat it the next day I get all my glutend symptoms - cold sore, super tried, stomach pains, depressed and wonderful bloating. At first I thought maybe it was something else. It's almost like it's hard for me to believe that this cereal is making me sick because on the box it says gluten free. :angry: Plus I used to eat the Pocono brand all the time. I'm super frustrated..

I just called the company today and they told me that the Wolff's brand is made in a different facility, but of course she has no clue why it would be contaminated with gluten. I told her that I get sick every time I eat them -still nothing. I asked it it was possible that it's being processed with wheat -she didn't know... <_<

This isn't the first time I reacted to this cereal either. I'm super sensitive. This is the only thing I ate differently two days ago and I reacted to it a few times before. :angry:

Is anyone else having problems with the Wolff's Cream of Buckwheat? I'd hate to try it again to make sure this is what I'm reacting to and feel sicker. I know sometimes it's hard to tell what the culprit is.

Thanks for letting me vent! :)
Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis
Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998
Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable
Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008
Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet
Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet
Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009
Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:32 AM

I've been recommending this to my daughter, who is less sensitive than I am. I thought it was fairly safe. I think that I have reacted to it periodically, but that it was mainly good. I hope that you find out that it was something else. Can you please let me know? I generally stick to the groats because then I can see if there is something in there that doesn't belong. I think that they buy buckwheat from a lot of farmers so there could be a lot of variables.

#3 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

I would be getting after your Whole Foods store to resume carrying the Pocono brand. I mean, they have these clerks all the time saying "did you find everything you need?" and not carrying the safe brand of gluten free buckwheat in a supposed "health food store" doesn't do anyone any good. It's bad enough that I can't use so many of their house brand packaged goods of plain ingredients, such as nuts, that would be the usual ingredients in gluten free cooking, because they are processed in a facility with wheat. :angry:

I like buckwheat, but it was only Rice Guy's suggestion to try the Pocono brand that kept me from giving up on it, some of these other brands had oat or "other" cross contamination. I try to find the groats, as d-steph says, so I can eyeball them for alien visitors :P before grinding them in a coffee grinder for flour. (a little of the flour goes a long way in recipes). With crop cycles coming and going, my spouse does not quite get why I keep more than one little box around.... it's only a 50 to 70 mile round trip finding the stuff.

#4 glutenturnsmen2mrshyde

glutenturnsmen2mrshyde

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

MMM I love Pocono cream of Buckwheat!!! I had it the first time the other day and I made it like I use to make cream of wheat halof water half milk with some butter. I ate it like grits and than I ate the left overs the next day and put sugar in them. I was ecstatic it almost tasted like cream of wheat (which I havent had in three years),

You can also order it on line through some of these health companies order your other staples at the same time so the shipping costs will be worth it.

#5 moosemalibu

moosemalibu

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

I just tried the Pocono cream of buckwheat! So good. I made it with almond milk, added vanilla bean pure maple syrup and sliced bananas. So good! Paired it with 2 scrambled eggs for a complete breakfast.

Jamie

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." Ronald Reagan

• Diagnosed Celiac via blood test 8-22-13
  • Dairy & gluten free in 8-22-13 then did gluten challenge in October
  • Endoscopy/Biopsy Oct-26-13 positive for Celiac
  • HLA-DQ2 positive
  • Vitamin D insufficiency 12-6-13 (had it prior no doubt, just wasn't checked until December)
  • Dairy Added back in successfully 3-1-14
  • Normal Antibody Levels 3-19-14! 
  • Egg, sugar alcohols Intolerant 5-2014

Supplements: Fish Oil, Digestive enzymes, probiotics, biotin, multivitamin, joint supplement, psyllium husk

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: